Sungevity Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2014
Updated Aug 16, 2014

2.6

Sales Marketing Specialist Interview

Applied online got telephone interview was later sent an email for skype interview. Was to receive email for next phase which was shadowing and final interview with director. They are very picky I applied with sales/ customer service experience a bachelors and haven't heard back. keep in mind this is an entry position.

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in January 2014.

This company is extremely disorganized with their interview process, and makes it clear throughout that recruitment is their lowest priority. I think they are coasting on the fact that many people want to work in solar for the perceived social good.

Here's my experience:
    - I was contacted by your recruiter in January, initial interview was scheduled
    - Interview time passed with no phone call, no word from the interviewer. I was waiting by my phone for a call.
    - Proceeded to reschedule again after several back and forth emails, same thing happened for the second time.
    - Finally got through phone interview on the 4th attempt, was brought in person for a day of interviews.
    - Then waited more than a month to be told the product team was disbanding/reforming, only after multiple emails to recruitment.
    - Was contacted by another product manager for a phone screen. They proceeded to cancel 3 subsequent phone interviews due to emergency CEO meetings. This is now my 4th attempt to schedule an interview, with a cancellation happening within 30 minutes of the actual interview.

At that point I gave up and decided this was a company I didn't actually want to work for. It's pretty clear that recruitment is not a priority at this company. Even beyond recruitment, the company seems like a disorganized mess, with constant emergency meetings and scheduling conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty run of the mill product questions.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in November 2012.

Everyone was warm and friendly. I interviewed with the COO and VP of Marketing. Great people. More conversational. Got some helpful feedback as to why I didn't get an offer.

Retail Solar Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Sungevity.

Phone screen, position was working in Lowes starting at $14/hr plus commission. Was told I would be called back to set up a skype interview, never got called back. I got an email saying I was not selected..

Customer Care Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Sungevity in June 2011.

This started with an online application, then progressed to a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult if you have project management background - but when they asked what I was looking to make, we had an immediate miss-match.   View Answer

Finance Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sungevity in July 2013.

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. The recruiter was nice and kept the phone interview pretty short, she asked me to come in later in the week to meet with the managers. The interviewers were not really interested and had not read my resume.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sungevity in December 2010.

For sales, there were minimal questions. Sungevity seems to hire sales people with minimal experience so I never saw the "tough question" that are typical in other organizations that expect expertise . If you have any sales or solar experience you have a leg up. They've beefed up their HR team so maybe this has changed. Most people that came through when I was there had no solar experience. You can stand out by reading the website, the company blog and doing some simple Google searching.

Interview Questions
    If you have sales or solar experience, provide your salary history and demonstrate why your abilities are worth more than they offered.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

20 minute phone screen. Interviewer was 45 minutes late to the screening, but I waited patiently. Interviewer didn't even apologize but asked if I wanted to reschedule which obviously I went ahead with the interview. Maybe a test, i dont know. Definitely a scripted interview, loaded questions about my bio and what do i know about solar..bla bla. I proceeded to answer the question with alot of thought and from the heart, just trying to be myself and expecting follow up questions from the interviewer but it was like talking to a wall. No rapport at all, cold and dry. Guess my interviewer woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Its a real shame because for a company that prides itself in customer service and being green, and all that excitement., BUT my interviewer was straight business. Just going through the motions.

Asked for the close, or "what are the next steps?" And the interviewer asked for my schedule for an in-person interview. (which lead me to believe I was passed through to round #2) However, a few days after later they contacted my recruiter and told me they passed with no explanation. Weird.

Interview Questions
    • The role play. Pretend that I am calling in for the first time.   View Answer

Remote Solar Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

There was an initial phone interview and then an in person interview the next week. There weren't any unusual questions and they wanted to make sure I understood it was an entry level position and a very repetitive task. I have a few years of experience and I think they were looking for someone more entry level. They seemed concerned about people leaving after a couple months working the job for something better, leaving me in the weird position of saying I wasn't ambitious.

I was told I would hear back either way about the position before the end of the week, but never did, despite sending an email asking for an update.

Interview Questions
    • There was a 10 minute timed computer test in two parts: 1) Can you use a web browser and word processor and 2) Can you do some basic solar panel calculations   Answer Question

Solar Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in June 2011.

Applied online and had a quick 20-30 minute phone screen with HR to see mostly if I was a good personality and culture fit. They basically wanted to check if I was a fun person and someone who cared about the environment. Then I conducted

Interview Questions
    • Describe any simple activity and be as detailed as possible in how to execute this task.   Answer Question

Worked for Sungevity? Contribute to the Community!