Sungevity Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.4

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sungevity (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Unfortunately I had the most unprofessional experience dealing with Sungevity during the interview process.

I was initially asked to set up a phone interview, however was urged by the recruiter to instead come in person. I proceeded to set up a time with the recruiter for the following week. The next day, I received an email asking me to reschedule for another time later in the week. Happily, I moved my schedule around which included adjusting the time of another interview to accommodate the change in schedule.

When I showed up for the interview, the team was completely unprepared. The initial recruiter I spoke with had passed along my interview to another recruiter to handle. Needless to say, they were not prepared. I was scheduled to meet with one of the directors of the marketing department. This would have been my boss. She was unfortunately pulled in to another meeting, and never showed up to interview me, which could have been done by phone but instead I was urged to come in to interview in person. The director never showed up and I interviewed with two people, both whom I would not be working with. They were obviously space fillers, and had not read my resume prior to meeting with me - both admitted to this during the interview process. In fact, one of the people I interviewed with was so rude that he proceeded to start eating his lunch and snacking on chips very loudly when I was asked about my professional experience.

After being moved from one room to another and going through 2 interviews with people I would not be directly working with, the director finally came in to apologize regarding missing the interview. She stayed for exactly 1 minute, asking to reschedule a new time over the phone for the following day. I agreed and we settled that she would email me with available times later that day.

The next day, I did not hear from the director, nor did she call to interview.

Neither the initial recruiter I worked with, nor the new recruiter who I was passed off to called to connect with me after the interview.

I waited one day, and reached out to the initial recruiter I worked with as she was the only point of contact I had with the company.

I politely informed the recruiter what happened to which she became very defensive and started to raise her voice with me.

The experience continues to get much worse, but needless to say, I found the experience interviewing at Sungevity to be very unprofessional, and downright rude. This is especially surprising that the company prides itself on great customer service, yet treats potential employees horribly.

Overall I was very disappointed with the company, the interview process, or lack of one, and how unprofessional they were.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't one because I was provided with two people who served as space fillers that never read my resume.   Answer Question

Field Engagement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sungevity (South San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I received a phone call from the recruiter and was invited for a Skype interview with the manager. The Skype interview consisted of standard sales interview questions , questions about my previous work experiences, and how to sell to a homeowner solar panels. I then was invited for an in-person interview which included going door to door in the neighborhood selling solar panels. I received a verbal offer and would only get a written over after I had accepted. I had let the manager know I would need a day to think about the offer. The manager informed me if I decided to accept I should inform the recruiter. Still unsure, I had communicated with the recruiter I would need more time to think and would call him Monday to decide. On Monday I excitedly called the recruiter to accept the verbal offer. Long store short the manager and recruiter were NOT on the same page and my offer was expired and the position was filled. Since I did not accept on Friday the manager decided to hire another candidate. My advice is for the manager and recruiter to be on the same page. At one point during my conversation with the recruiter he had told me that I did not receive a verbal offer and that the manager gave me a potential verbal offer. ( That was the worse feeling and then I began to question if I made it up in my head) An hour later the recruiter told me that I had indeed received an offer but it was filled because I did not accept on Friday. Overall this was worst interview experience ( please keep in mind I am a recruiter so I am trying to be understanding). After this interview process I will not want to work for the company or recommend anyone.

Sales Operation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sungevity (Oakland, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Interview with internal HR recruiter.
    2. Interview at the office with Sales Ops Manager and Sales Op Specialist for the last part of the interview. The specialist just gave the "yeah, I'd work with him" after a brief conversation and look-over of my resume.
    --> We were supposed to have a room in the office to have the interview, but someone else in the company needed it. (They are growing faster than they can accommodate for it seems) We went to Blue Bottle coffee, which was awesome and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What past experience would make you a good fit for this role?   Answer Question
    • Can you work in a flexible, growing environment? Examples?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity (Long Island City, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

First started with a phone interview, then it was a skype interview, then shadowing the sales manager for an hour. Now it was training for at least 5 hours and pitching everyone that walked into the Lowes stores. After jumping threw all of the hoops that they asked me to jump threw, everything went great, they led me on, and just after I finished my first day, I get "the Call."
    And that was the end of that.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you have the personality to continuously have people tell you 'No"   1 Answer

Negotiation

$14 an hour $15 for every qualified lead and $75 for every sale

Retail Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sungevity (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

We discussed my interest in the company and why I thought Sungevity would be a good fit. Consisted of 2 interviews: one over the phone and another through skype. The whole thing only took a few days. The training took one day.

Solar Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sewell, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sungevity (Sewell, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Over the phone interview first, then a skype interview. If they like you then you have to go for a training session. After that they decide if they want to hire you or not.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity.

Interview

Applied online, phone screen through HR before making to through to the PMM face-to-face interview. Met with the heads of the dept for about :45. Not difficult if you have PM experience, customer service experience, can multi-task and talk about it all clearly. Otherwise, could be tough and the warts will show. Be prepared. Peeps were cool.

Interview Questions

• You will be asked to role play through a tough CS interaction with a an unhappy customer - played by a PMM. Goes on for a few minutes with the customer really pushing back, super unhappy.   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sungevity.

Interview

Bad experience. No follow up, no responses, weeks with no contact. very poor experience overall. waste of time. too busy to get back to applicants. No respect of anything. I really recommend against applying for this company. They seem to be trying to figure out their whole business.

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Sungevity.

Interview

This was an intial interview simply to "meet with Sungevity's hiring managers" conducted at a hotel conference room. Sungevity is in the process of setting up a new office in my city, but as of yet it has not been opened, thus the locale. The interview was for an initial screening to see if candidates were a good fit. I was told that they were spending a couple of weeks doing this and that next week would begin callbacks to do deeper interviews with the candidates that they found suitable. My interviewer mentioned that the would be doing some roll play and asking more questions about our experience with sales and our background in that area. The two positions for which they are interviewing, Solar Sales Consultant & Technical Sales Associate, were described as well as the length of training for each.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Sungevity?   1 Answer

Technical Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity (Kansas City, MO) in December 2014.

Interview

I went through a phone screening and was asked what I knew about Sungevity. I explained to them my experience and mentioned my interest in the solar industry. We talked a bit about the training process, approximately what base salary was as well as the relative amount I could expect with commission in annual dollars. I have since been asked for a second phone interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe one position I was in that I took the most pride in. It did not have to be a job, just something you enjoyed being involved in and why.   1 Answer