Sungevity

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Manager, Business Development Interview

Senior Manager, Business Development
Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in November 2012.

Interview Details – Everyone was warm and friendly. I interviewed with the COO and VP of Marketing. Great people. More conversational. Got some helpful feedback as to why I didn't get an offer.

Retail Solar Advisor Interview

Retail Solar Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sungevity.

Interview Details – Phone screen, position was working in Lowes starting at $14/hr plus commission. Was told I would be called back to set up a skype interview, never got called back. I got an email saying I was not selected..

Interview Question – How much do you know about solar?   Answer Question

Customer Care Project Manager Interview

Customer Care Project Manager
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sungevity in June 2011.

Interview Details – This started with an online application, then progressed to a phone interview.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult if you have project management background - but when they asked what I was looking to make, we had an immediate miss-match.   View Answer

Finance Support Specialist Interview

Finance Support Specialist
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sungevity in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. The recruiter was nice and kept the phone interview pretty short, she asked me to come in later in the week to meet with the managers. The interviewers were not really interested and had not read my resume.

Interview Question – Everything was standard behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sungevity in December 2010.

Interview Details – For sales, there were minimal questions. Sungevity seems to hire sales people with minimal experience so I never saw the "tough question" that are typical in other organizations that expect expertise . If you have any sales or solar experience you have a leg up. They've beefed up their HR team so maybe this has changed. Most people that came through when I was there had no solar experience. You can stand out by reading the website, the company blog and doing some simple Google searching.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you have sales or solar experience, provide your salary history and demonstrate why your abilities are worth more than they offered.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

Interview Details – 20 minute phone screen. Interviewer was 45 minutes late to the screening, but I waited patiently. Interviewer didn't even apologize but asked if I wanted to reschedule which obviously I went ahead with the interview. Maybe a test, i dont know. Definitely a scripted interview, loaded questions about my bio and what do i know about solar..bla bla. I proceeded to answer the question with alot of thought and from the heart, just trying to be myself and expecting follow up questions from the interviewer but it was like talking to a wall. No rapport at all, cold and dry. Guess my interviewer woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Its a real shame because for a company that prides itself in customer service and being green, and all that excitement., BUT my interviewer was straight business. Just going through the motions.

Asked for the close, or "what are the next steps?" And the interviewer asked for my schedule for an in-person interview. (which lead me to believe I was passed through to round #2) However, a few days after later they contacted my recruiter and told me they passed with no explanation. Weird.

Interview Question – The role play. Pretend that I am calling in for the first time.   View Answer

Remote Solar Designer Interview

Remote Solar Designer
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

Interview Details – There was an initial phone interview and then an in person interview the next week. There weren't any unusual questions and they wanted to make sure I understood it was an entry level position and a very repetitive task. I have a few years of experience and I think they were looking for someone more entry level. They seemed concerned about people leaving after a couple months working the job for something better, leaving me in the weird position of saying I wasn't ambitious.

I was told I would hear back either way about the position before the end of the week, but never did, despite sending an email asking for an update.

Interview Question – There was a 10 minute timed computer test in two parts: 1) Can you use a web browser and word processor and 2) Can you do some basic solar panel calculations   Answer Question

Solar Consultant Interview

Solar Consultant
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and had a quick 20-30 minute phone screen with HR to see mostly if I was a good personality and culture fit. They basically wanted to check if I was a fun person and someone who cared about the environment. Then I conducted

Interview Question – Describe any simple activity and be as detailed as possible in how to execute this task.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Oakland, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sungevity.

Interview Details – Sent resume online and was contacted by the HR Manager for a phone interview the next week. Phone interview was about 30 min and covered everything but the job duties, when asked what the "key attributes" they where looking for she listed verbatim the qualifications on the job posting?? Great, so lets talk about how my past work experience, skill sets, and successes make me a good candidate for the next step... Blah, Blah.. She indicated they would make a decision in the next week or so and get back to her. I followed up with two emails and still no response to either. It is ok if they choose to move forward with a candidate, but please be professional and respond with a... Thank you, however we have found another candidate.. This type of unprofessional pattern seems to be the new norm these days, I over it.

Interview Question – Not so difficult... "Why Sungevity"   Answer Question

Solar Consultant Interview

Solar Consultant
Oakland, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sungevity in July 2011.

Interview Details – Found out about Sungevity through a recruiting agency in the San Francisco. Asked to have my resume submitted for the position. Within half a week I was contacted by the hiring manager about the position and asked standard interview questions (What are you looking for, Why do you want to work in sales, why do you want to work at Sungevity).

The following week I was brought into the office for an Interview. The first part was a 5 minutes phone role play (Dealing with a customer on the phone and finding out information about them). That was followed by a half hour long interview with a sales manager and hiring manager. They asked for me to teach them something in 5 minutes. (I explained what a ground-out was). This was followed by standard interview questions again.

I was extended an offer within 2 days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the offer extended.

Worked for Sungevity? Contribute to the Community!