Sungevity Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014
Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.5

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in September 2014.

Submitted resume and contacted for a phone interview within a few days. Phone interview was 15 min long with minimal questions. It was more of statements about my work history, which seemed to me like the recruiter was not very experienced in interviewing.

Overall, a pleasant conversation with a very positive HR rep.

Sales Marketing Specialist Interview

Applied online got telephone interview was later sent an email for skype interview. Was to receive email for next phase which was shadowing and final interview with director. They are very picky I applied with sales/ customer service experience a bachelors and haven't heard back. keep in mind this is an entry position.

Retail Solar Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sungevity.

Phone screen, position was working in Lowes starting at $14/hr plus commission. Was told I would be called back to set up a skype interview, never got called back. I got an email saying I was not selected..

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in May 2014.

I was recruited from a job fair at my school. Short phone interview then two Skype interviews. They did a background check and had no drug test. It was an easy interview overall but the job was very hard for me. You have to be a pushy salesman to do well and stand in the front of Lowes for 6 hours. They also want you to work weekends. Nice pay and commission plan.

No negotiation

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in January 2014.

This company is extremely disorganized with their interview process, and makes it clear throughout that recruitment is their lowest priority. I think they are coasting on the fact that many people want to work in solar for the perceived social good.

Here's my experience:
    - I was contacted by your recruiter in January, initial interview was scheduled
    - Interview time passed with no phone call, no word from the interviewer. I was waiting by my phone for a call.
    - Proceeded to reschedule again after several back and forth emails, same thing happened for the second time.
    - Finally got through phone interview on the 4th attempt, was brought in person for a day of interviews.
    - Then waited more than a month to be told the product team was disbanding/reforming, only after multiple emails to recruitment.
    - Was contacted by another product manager for a phone screen. They proceeded to cancel 3 subsequent phone interviews due to emergency CEO meetings. This is now my 4th attempt to schedule an interview, with a cancellation happening within 30 minutes of the actual interview.

At that point I gave up and decided this was a company I didn't actually want to work for. It's pretty clear that recruitment is not a priority at this company. Even beyond recruitment, the company seems like a disorganized mess, with constant emergency meetings and scheduling conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty run of the mill product questions.   Answer Question

Finance Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sungevity in July 2013.

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. The recruiter was nice and kept the phone interview pretty short, she asked me to come in later in the week to meet with the managers. The interviewers were not really interested and had not read my resume.

Remote Solar Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

There was an initial phone interview and then an in person interview the next week. There weren't any unusual questions and they wanted to make sure I understood it was an entry level position and a very repetitive task. I have a few years of experience and I think they were looking for someone more entry level. They seemed concerned about people leaving after a couple months working the job for something better, leaving me in the weird position of saying I wasn't ambitious.

I was told I would hear back either way about the position before the end of the week, but never did, despite sending an email asking for an update.

Interview Questions
    • There was a 10 minute timed computer test in two parts: 1) Can you use a web browser and word processor and 2) Can you do some basic solar panel calculations   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

20 minute phone screen. Interviewer was 45 minutes late to the screening, but I waited patiently. Interviewer didn't even apologize but asked if I wanted to reschedule which obviously I went ahead with the interview. Maybe a test, i dont know. Definitely a scripted interview, loaded questions about my bio and what do i know about solar..bla bla. I proceeded to answer the question with alot of thought and from the heart, just trying to be myself and expecting follow up questions from the interviewer but it was like talking to a wall. No rapport at all, cold and dry. Guess my interviewer woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.

Its a real shame because for a company that prides itself in customer service and being green, and all that excitement., BUT my interviewer was straight business. Just going through the motions.

Asked for the close, or "what are the next steps?" And the interviewer asked for my schedule for an in-person interview. (which lead me to believe I was passed through to round #2) However, a few days after later they contacted my recruiter and told me they passed with no explanation. Weird.

Interview Questions
    • The role play. Pretend that I am calling in for the first time.   View Answer

Senior Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in November 2012.

Everyone was warm and friendly. I interviewed with the COO and VP of Marketing. Great people. More conversational. Got some helpful feedback as to why I didn't get an offer.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sungevity.

Sent resume online and was contacted by the HR Manager for a phone interview the next week. Phone interview was about 30 min and covered everything but the job duties, when asked what the "key attributes" they where looking for she listed verbatim the qualifications on the job posting?? Great, so lets talk about how my past work experience, skill sets, and successes make me a good candidate for the next step... Blah, Blah.. She indicated they would make a decision in the next week or so and get back to her. I followed up with two emails and still no response to either. It is ok if they choose to move forward with a candidate, but please be professional and respond with a... Thank you, however we have found another candidate.. This type of unprofessional pattern seems to be the new norm these days, I over it.