Sungevity

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.4

Solar Sales Consultant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Sungevity.

This was an intial interview simply to "meet with Sungevity's hiring managers" conducted at a hotel conference room. Sungevity is in the process of setting up a new office in my city, but as of yet it has not been opened, thus the locale. The interview was for an initial screening to see if candidates were a good fit. I was told that they were spending a couple of weeks doing this and that next week would begin callbacks to do deeper interviews with the candidates that they found suitable. My interviewer mentioned that the would be doing some roll play and asking more questions about our experience with sales and our background in that area. The two positions for which they are interviewing, Solar Sales Consultant & Technical Sales Associate, were described as well as the length of training for each.

Technical Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in December 2014.

I went through a phone screening and was asked what I knew about Sungevity. I explained to them my experience and mentioned my interest in the solar industry. We talked a bit about the training process, approximately what base salary was as well as the relative amount I could expect with commission in annual dollars. I have since been asked for a second phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe one position I was in that I took the most pride in. It did not have to be a job, just something you enjoyed being involved in and why.   View Answer

Customer Experience Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in September 2014.

Submitted resume and contacted for a phone interview within a few days. Phone interview was 15 min long with minimal questions. It was more of statements about my work history, which seemed to me like the recruiter was not very experienced in interviewing.

Overall, a pleasant conversation with a very positive HR rep.

Sales Marketing Specialist Interview

Applied online got telephone interview was later sent an email for skype interview. Was to receive email for next phase which was shadowing and final interview with director. They are very picky I applied with sales/ customer service experience a bachelors and haven't heard back. keep in mind this is an entry position.

Retail Sales Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in July 2014.

I applied via their website. Didn't hear back for a few weeks, but was eventually contacted by HR rep. After a quick screen I had a video interview with the hiring manager. This was also fairly straightforward, basically asked about previous work experience and whether I was confident in my ability to handle a sales job. Then I came in for a 1-hour in-store shadow with the hiring manager and was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were basic interview questions. Not much 'behavioral' questioning.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, fixed salary + commission

Retail Solar Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sungevity.

Phone screen, position was working in Lowes starting at $14/hr plus commission. Was told I would be called back to set up a skype interview, never got called back. I got an email saying I was not selected..

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in May 2014.

I was recruited from a job fair at my school. Short phone interview then two Skype interviews. They did a background check and had no drug test. It was an easy interview overall but the job was very hard for me. You have to be a pushy salesman to do well and stand in the front of Lowes for 6 hours. They also want you to work weekends. Nice pay and commission plan.

No negotiation

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in January 2014.

This company is extremely disorganized with their interview process, and makes it clear throughout that recruitment is their lowest priority. I think they are coasting on the fact that many people want to work in solar for the perceived social good.

Here's my experience:
    - I was contacted by your recruiter in January, initial interview was scheduled
    - Interview time passed with no phone call, no word from the interviewer. I was waiting by my phone for a call.
    - Proceeded to reschedule again after several back and forth emails, same thing happened for the second time.
    - Finally got through phone interview on the 4th attempt, was brought in person for a day of interviews.
    - Then waited more than a month to be told the product team was disbanding/reforming, only after multiple emails to recruitment.
    - Was contacted by another product manager for a phone screen. They proceeded to cancel 3 subsequent phone interviews due to emergency CEO meetings. This is now my 4th attempt to schedule an interview, with a cancellation happening within 30 minutes of the actual interview.

At that point I gave up and decided this was a company I didn't actually want to work for. It's pretty clear that recruitment is not a priority at this company. Even beyond recruitment, the company seems like a disorganized mess, with constant emergency meetings and scheduling conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty run of the mill product questions.   Answer Question

Finance Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sungevity in July 2013.

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for a phone interview. The recruiter was nice and kept the phone interview pretty short, she asked me to come in later in the week to meet with the managers. The interviewers were not really interested and had not read my resume.

Remote Solar Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sungevity in February 2013.

There was an initial phone interview and then an in person interview the next week. There weren't any unusual questions and they wanted to make sure I understood it was an entry level position and a very repetitive task. I have a few years of experience and I think they were looking for someone more entry level. They seemed concerned about people leaving after a couple months working the job for something better, leaving me in the weird position of saying I wasn't ambitious.

I was told I would hear back either way about the position before the end of the week, but never did, despite sending an email asking for an update.

Interview Questions
    • There was a 10 minute timed computer test in two parts: 1) Can you use a web browser and word processor and 2) Can you do some basic solar panel calculations   Answer Question