Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Updated Aug 18, 2014

2.9

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Biomedical Clinical Applications Interview

that their interviews will be conducted using a team approach. We have also found that candidates reveal
    their strengths and weaknesses more fully when they do not know the identity of the hiring manager, or if they do
    – even if just by name – when the hiring manager does not participate directly but only observes during the group
    interview.
    The interview team should assemble approximately 15 minutes in advance of the interview to review the
    process and interview guidelines.
    When the candidate is brought into the room, team members should introduce themselves by name only,
    and, without using titles, each should describe his/her area of responsibility and how the candidate will be expected
    to interact with and contribute to the team and the company, if the candidate is selected to fill the role for which
    they are interviewing

Developer Interview

The turn around time is fast. Interviewers were professional.

Laboratory Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in March 2014.

Contacted by email via linkedin, set up an initial over the phone interview with the recruiter. Then a skype interview with the hiring panel. Then they flew me in to do a face to face interview. Then they asked me to do a mini exam. After a few days they called me to do a reference check. I was now given the initial offer but I think I can negotiate a better deal.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you disagree fundamentally with your superior.   View Answer
    Still early in the process

Secretary to Medical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in January 2014.

Human Resource will contact you for an interview. One interview with the manager, appropriate team leader for the position and in some cases a human resources representative, (most likely if it is an external hire). Formulaic question and answer sheet with the manager and team leader alternating between questions. Situation questions such as here are a list of tasks, in which order would you complete them and so on. If you pass this interview you will most likely be asked to take a computer aptitude test.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me an example of two of your weaknesses.   View Answer
    No negotiation necessary. You may negotiate your working hours, they can be flexible. If you are applying for a unionized position the pay is non-negotiable.

MRI Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in June 2013.

Applied online via indeed and called to leave a message that I am interested in the position. Received an email after around 3 weeks to a month of applying online about an interview. Was interviewed by the scientist responsible for the project. Interview was all technical and all he was looking for was technical skills in MRIs. No behavioral questions or anything like that.

Summer Internship – Medical Technology Innovation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in April 2013.

Direct manager is the one who usually conducts interviews, filters resumes, it is just one interview.
    A back ground check or reference check is conducted after passing your interview. First half of interview was mainly behavioral interview, second half was about the medical innovation industry challenges.
    No tricky questions every thing was straight forward

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what technology will reshape the heart failure industry?   Answer Question

Pharmacy Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in February 2013.

I emailed cover letter and CV directly to the hiring manager to consider for the summer position. The initial reply was that there was no more vacant position for the upcoming summer but s/he was going to discuss with the staff to see if they need more help for the summer. Then I was invited for a panel interview (~1hr long) which included a short tour of the work place. The interviewing process was pretty standard but the atmosphere was very relaxed and positive.

Interview Questions
    The wage was preset based on the experience (number of years in pharmacy school). However, their rate was the best offered in Toronto area.

Medical Physics Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in April 2012.

First process was application submissions which include my resume, references, cover letter and unofficial academic transcript. After the application processes were done, I had an interview with a medical physicists (e.g. setting can be either phone or face to face interview).

Interview Questions
    • What/when was the most overwhelming situations?
      How did you react to that situation? How would you bring/make a change to avoid that situations? What it is your problem solving strategies??
      Technical Knowledge related to medical physics technologies, treatment planning techniques (e.g. VMAT, IMRT, SRS, and SBRT), etc.

Answer Question

Medical Imaging Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in February 2009.

Interview was with my direct supervisor. Was asked general questions about personality and so on..."Tell me about yourself", "have you ever encountered X situation in the work place", etc. A few of the interview questions were related to my resume and prior work experience. Finally, had an open ended technical question on how I would reconstruct volumetric imaging data into different forms.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of images that represent cross sectional 'slices' of a 3D series representing the heart, how would you calculate the internal volume?   View Answer

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in August 2008.

Researching the job and the scientist is important. The most required skills and characteristics are: intelligence either based on experience or marks for recent grads, willingness to learn, and the ability to show that you thrive in a challenging work environment. Integrity is important.