Sunrise Senior Living

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Director

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on line in response to a web posting. I received an e-mail within a few days asking to set up an interview time. The e-mail allowed me to choose a slot for the phone interview. I received a confirmation for the phone interview time. Interviewee was located in another state and was employed by the company. The interviewer had previously worked for the company in another position for more than 5 years. The interview was approx. 45 minutes in length and included several open ended questions regarding how I had dealt with certain challenges and problems in the past. The interviewer was very open about the process . Following the interview I was sent a Pi questionnaire to complete on line. The next day I received an opportunity to meet with a Regional Director for the facility with the job opening. The interview was held at another facility and I met with the Regional Director for approximately 45 minutes. The regional director was friendly but did not seem really interested in discussion of how I might utilize my experience in the Sunrise setting.

Interview Question – What have I done in my experience with regard to development of financial planning within the facility context.   Answer Question

Northville, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in September 2011.

Interview Details – My interview experience was the longest but most thorough process I have ever been through. The process started with an online resume submission, followed by a phone interview. The next steps were a series of 5 face to face interviews with the Regional Director, VP of Operations, Senior Vice President, Regional HR Director, and Regional Director again. I had two additional phone interviews with the Regional Sales Director and Regional Nursing Director. Finally I had two panel interivews: one with the Coordinator Team and one with the front line team members. There is a reason that Sunrise has long tenured team members. They are thorough.

Interview Question – I really did not face an unexpected question. The most difficult question is always when they ask me to describe one weakness. I am always honest and tell them that an opportunity area for me is to always work to be more organized. I expand on that to help them understand that I am organized by nature but work very hard to be more efficient and effective at what I do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much negotiation. They gave me one offer, I counter offered and they accepted.

Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was promoted from within. I called my current supervisor and told her I was interested in the job. I sent my resume to the person in charge of hiring and took the PI test. I was then intereviewed over the phone the following day. After that, the VP of Operations and the Regional Director of Operations sat down with me face to face and interviewed me. I was given an offer the next day and two weeks later moved into my current position.

Interview Question – I don't remember any question being difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given the offer I expected and in addition was offered a sign on bonus. There was little negotiation because I knew going in what to expect.

Executive Director

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter set up a meeting wtih Regional Director from a different company. Met with Regional Director at a Community that had an opening for Executive Director. We spent a couple of hours talking and touring. She also brought in (individually) 2 of her key Department Managers. I was allowed time to chat with each of them privately.
It was quite interesting as this company only owns 3, large, very nice Communities. The size of the company is much smaller than what I am used to. I believe there would have been good management support to an extent, but there are not as many resources, or constraints as in Sunrise.

Interview Question – The overall discuss of community finances.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I very much like where I am at, including our team members. My Regional Director (direct supervisor) and his supervisor are very supportive and very knowledgeable I am in a good place. :-)

Executive Director

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in November 2009.

Interview Details – long interview process but worth it. They wanted to make sure they were hiring the right person for the job. lots of phone iterviews and interviews with the staff

Interview Question – how do you handle conflict   Answer Question

Executive Director

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in May 2010.

Interview Details – Received an email from the hiring recruiter within the company stating he would like to set up a time within the next two days to speak with me briefly over the phone to discuss the opening.

I then notified him via e-mail of when I would be available for the call. I did all my research on the company from owners, how long they had been in business, to how many locations they had in this state as well as around the world.

Be very prepard for those bahavioral based questions the what would you do, how would you improve this and how in the past did you handle this type of questioning.

Interviewer was not very well spoken nor versed dont know how they could judge me so fast, not very family orientated business, very profit driven.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to give orders to your group to get a job done, What did you do and how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sunrise Senior Living

Worked for Sunrise Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Sunrise Senior Living Videos

Sunrise Senior Living – Why Work for Us?

Since 1981, Sunrise Senior Living has been the employer of choice for warm-hearted people searching for meaningful work in a nurturing, ethical and active environment. We offer a uniquely sensitive approach and personal… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrise Senior Living Executive Director interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Sunrise Senior Living employees and interview candidates.