Sunrise Senior Living Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.5

Care-manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview took place as a group interview with other candidates. I was interviewed by the Assisted Living Coordinator. Questions were basic, such as describing experience with the elderly, and why you'd like to work there. In my case, the reminiscence coordinator popped in and asked a few questions himself. The interview process was very easy and one is not expected to have specific experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you dealt with a challenging situation in the workplace.   Answer Question

Director of Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

As a sales professional, I found the recruiter for the community and emailed her. Got an invitation to speak, set-up call. Received a call from a different recruiter - very pleasant, easy exchange of information. Invited to meet with Executive Director (ED). Met with the ED, she pretty much talked about herself. We did talk about seniors and their expectations. I do have experience in senior living as well as other comparable sales disciplines - I would be a great fit. The ED however never seemed engaged in the process and the manner in which the interview ended was abrupt. Sent my follow-up thank you to both the ED and recruiter. Heard nothing back for almost two weeks, emailed and called recruiter - received an email from her, she noted that forgot to contact me (really?). They would not be moving forward with me. Considering the overall experience with the ED, I wasn't disappointed. Senior Living is a tough, often thankless industry, from management. High constant pressure in sales and turn over in all departments that often leads to understaffed situations that affects both the workers and RESIDENTS. Certainly, ones' passion for seniors and working with senior living advocates and healthcare professionals is a primary driving factor in working at these communities. It is for me, at least. Has Mr. Winkle and the execs at Sunrise ever read these review and interview posts? The future is now.

Interview Questions

• The ED didn't really ask any questions. I asked about challenges, what could be improved, what works well, what doesn't, competition, etc. While I appreciate a conversational interview, it was underwhelming.   Answer Question

Caer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online got an email 2 weeks later inviting me to a group interview only 3 of us showed up. Got a call the next day for a shadow day for about an hour. And got a call a week later for a 2 interview.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in July 2015.

Interview

I was invited to attend a job fair for a group interview by a recruiter. The group interview was awkward we were asked to introduce ourselves and then asked how would we handle a difficult resident. After we were given a brief orientation of the services. The hiring manager was not available to meet with us so were given a tour of the place. That evening I received a call from them apologizing for not being interviewed. He said I would hear back from them and I never did. Too bad I liked their mission and core values but they need to improve their hiring process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2015.

Interview

Extremely drawn out. Received an email from talent acquisition manager to set up a phone interview. Had phone interview a week later after an online screening test. Was contacted a week later for an in-person interview with ED later in the week. Three weeks later received a phone call from talent acquisition manager for a telephone interview with RVPO. Had telephone interview, was told I would hear back in a week and a half to two weeks. Never heard back. Emailed talent acquisition manager to follow up three weeks after RVPO interview. Got a call saying the position had been filled, but RVPO would like for me to apply to another internal position to get started with AIT position; at a salary that was much less than was previously discussed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult patient   Answer Question

Lead Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Gurnee, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview that lasted almost four hours! At the beginning, there were 12 of us. By the time we were finished, there were about 8 or 9 (some had left due to doctor appointments, needing to pick up children, etc). We were informed at the beginning that they do all their interviews as group interviews and they interview weekly. Seems they must have a high turn-over rate. Even though I thought I was interviewing for a Lead Care Manager's position, that was not the case (I found that out the last five minutes of the interview). Everyone is hired in as a Care Manager because essentially you are managing the care of a set number of seniors. I was informed that they promote from within that it would not be fair to hire someone new in at a higher level (even though that is the position I applied for). We were taken on a tour of the entire facility. This is supposed to be an assisted living facility. It is two stories and the lower level is the Alzheimer's and dementia level. The resident bathtub room (the bathtique) had the whirlpool tub. There was scented candles set up in the room and a stereo so you could play the music of their choice while you fed them a piece of cake or some ice cream (yes, during their bath). We were also told that they do not tell the residents no. Does not matter what it is about. If a resident wants steak and lobster than their Care Manager is supposed to get the company credit card and go to Red Lobster and get it for them. If a diabetic resident wants to eat four scoops of ice cream and two slices of cake, the Care Manager is supposed to let them and then just let the resident's nurse know so he/she can adjust their insulin/oral medications. These were examples given to us while on the tour. We were even taken on a tour of the kitchen while the kitchen staff was preparing food. Yes, I was in complete freak-out mode the entire time we were in there (Health violations, anyone?). I had never been in a group interview before and will never do another!

Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

After online application in May 2015 I was called for a group interview. The interviewers said they would get in touch with candidates who would further be interviewed. We were advised not to call. I was called for another interview after 3 weeks. After another week they called me for a 2 hour job prereview upon which I also given application package to complete. They said they would let me know when to start when process was through. I was shocked to receive an email saying that "although your qualifications were very impressive, we have opted to offer someone else the job". Why get me through the 2 hour unpaid job preview and make me complete application forms then not give me the job? I was very disappointed. Ridiculous! I still would love to work at Sunrise. This was at Webb Gin House in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself , experience and why care giving.   Answer Question

Associate Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

The Senior Director who interviewed me was great! Very nice. Asked me questions on how I'd handle certain situations. One on One interview. Be early. To get the interview I applied online. Then had phone interview with Talent Aquisitions rep. Then waited almost two weeks/ then I followed up to the center Director with email. Got called for interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to give examples of how I did handle team work, difficult clients, a time when I couldn't give someone what they wanted.   Answer Question

Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Sandy Springs, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, called in for open interview. Two other people showed up. Interview lasted about 10 mins. Was given tour afterwards. Came in to shadow for about an hour the day after the interview. Sent to take a drug test and physical exam. Also had to take a tb test. Background check was done also.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work with senors? How do you feel about staffing issues?   1 Answer

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Plymouth, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone "pre-interview" then an on-line personality test. I hate it when companies do not get back to you to let you know either way. I understand that decisions take time, but at least do the courtesy of an occasional email update during the process, or advise if the candidate is out of the running... Or at least respond to follow up emails. I understand that saying "you didn't get the job" is an uncomfortable conversation, but leaving someone hanging is just rude. Not sure I would want to work for a company that is that discourteous to potential employees.

Interview Questions

• asked all of the "basic/canned" interview questions... why are you looking for a job, what do you look for in an employer, etc.   1 Answer