Sunrise Senior Living Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.5

Caer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online got an email 2 weeks later inviting me to a group interview only 3 of us showed up. Got a call the next day for a shadow day for about an hour. And got a call a week later for a 2 interview.

Lead Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Gurnee, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a group interview that lasted almost four hours! At the beginning, there were 12 of us. By the time we were finished, there were about 8 or 9 (some had left due to doctor appointments, needing to pick up children, etc). We were informed at the beginning that they do all their interviews as group interviews and they interview weekly. Seems they must have a high turn-over rate. Even though I thought I was interviewing for a Lead Care Manager's position, that was not the case (I found that out the last five minutes of the interview). Everyone is hired in as a Care Manager because essentially you are managing the care of a set number of seniors. I was informed that they promote from within that it would not be fair to hire someone new in at a higher level (even though that is the position I applied for). We were taken on a tour of the entire facility. This is supposed to be an assisted living facility. It is two stories and the lower level is the Alzheimer's and dementia level. The resident bathtub room (the bathtique) had the whirlpool tub. There was scented candles set up in the room and a stereo so you could play the music of their choice while you fed them a piece of cake or some ice cream (yes, during their bath). We were also told that they do not tell the residents no. Does not matter what it is about. If a resident wants steak and lobster than their Care Manager is supposed to get the company credit card and go to Red Lobster and get it for them. If a diabetic resident wants to eat four scoops of ice cream and two slices of cake, the Care Manager is supposed to let them and then just let the resident's nurse know so he/she can adjust their insulin/oral medications. These were examples given to us while on the tour. We were even taken on a tour of the kitchen while the kitchen staff was preparing food. Yes, I was in complete freak-out mode the entire time we were in there (Health violations, anyone?). I had never been in a group interview before and will never do another!

Associate Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

The Senior Director who interviewed me was great! Very nice. Asked me questions on how I'd handle certain situations. One on One interview. Be early. To get the interview I applied online. Then had phone interview with Talent Aquisitions rep. Then waited almost two weeks/ then I followed up to the center Director with email. Got called for interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked to give examples of how I did handle team work, difficult clients, a time when I couldn't give someone what they wanted.   Answer Question

Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Sandy Springs, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, called in for open interview. Two other people showed up. Interview lasted about 10 mins. Was given tour afterwards. Came in to shadow for about an hour the day after the interview. Sent to take a drug test and physical exam. Also had to take a tb test. Background check was done also.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Why do you want to work with senors? How do you feel about staffing issues?   1 Answer

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Plymouth, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone "pre-interview" then an on-line personality test. I hate it when companies do not get back to you to let you know either way. I understand that decisions take time, but at least do the courtesy of an occasional email update during the process, or advise if the candidate is out of the running... Or at least respond to follow up emails. I understand that saying "you didn't get the job" is an uncomfortable conversation, but leaving someone hanging is just rude. Not sure I would want to work for a company that is that discourteous to potential employees.

Interview Questions

• asked all of the "basic/canned" interview questions... why are you looking for a job, what do you look for in an employer, etc.   1 Answer

Concierge Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rocky River, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Rocky River, OH).

Interview

I saw the job posting on indeed. I clicked on the link on indeed and it took me to a log in page for potential employees where you create a log in and password. On this page, you enter basic information: name, contact information, work history, skills, school/education. I received an email stating that I was selected for a group interview. The group interview was the following week. The hiring manager told us about the position and asked each person 3 questions. I received the job offer the same day as the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself What would you do if your phone was ringing and a resident was trying to walk out the front door?   1 Answer

Concierge Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

Interview was quite easy. Background check. And just a very informal interview. Questions were more scenario based and interviewer was extremely nice. Wouldn't stress too much. Got the job but declined because personal reasons. Great company to work for. Sense of family and community inside of the building.

Director of Nursing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Petaluma, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Petaluma, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me. I sent resume and discussed the position. I had phone interviews (behavioral interview questions) with Senior RN VP and Senior Care Coordinator. I had personal interviews with the Executive Director. All were very upfront regarding the position and were focused on whether this job would be a good fit for my future goals.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when 2 of your staff had a conflict that was interfering with the job, describe the conflict, and the steps you did to intervene.   Answer Question
    • Q: What professional experiences, accomplishments are you bringing to Sunrise that would make you the better candidate?   1 Answer

Care Giver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a group interview, got told the same day to come in the next day for a second interview. Got the job and started training.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in 3 words?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

Group interview followed a written application form submitted during the session. Mostly introductory and general info shared among a host of various job applicants for different positions. Not very specific to particular jobs we were applying for.