Sunrise Senior Living Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.4

Director of Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

As a sales professional, I found the recruiter for the community and emailed her. Got an invitation to speak, set-up call. Received a call from a different recruiter - very pleasant, easy exchange of information. Invited to meet with Executive Director (ED). Met with the ED, she pretty much talked about herself. We did talk about seniors and their expectations. I do have experience in senior living as well as other comparable sales disciplines - I would be a great fit. The ED however never seemed engaged in the process and the manner in which the interview ended was abrupt. Sent my follow-up thank you to both the ED and recruiter. Heard nothing back for almost two weeks, emailed and called recruiter - received an email from her, she noted that forgot to contact me (really?). They would not be moving forward with me. Considering the overall experience with the ED, I wasn't disappointed. Senior Living is a tough, often thankless industry, from management. High constant pressure in sales and turn over in all departments that often leads to understaffed situations that affects both the workers and RESIDENTS. Certainly, ones' passion for seniors and working with senior living advocates and healthcare professionals is a primary driving factor in working at these communities. It is for me, at least. Has Mr. Winkle and the execs at Sunrise ever read these review and interview posts? The future is now.

Interview Questions

• The ED didn't really ask any questions. I asked about challenges, what could be improved, what works well, what doesn't, competition, etc. While I appreciate a conversational interview, it was underwhelming.   Answer Question

Associate Director of Sales Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in July 2015.

Interview

I was invited to attend a job fair for a group interview by a recruiter. The group interview was awkward we were asked to introduce ourselves and then asked how would we handle a difficult resident. After we were given a brief orientation of the services. The hiring manager was not available to meet with us so were given a tour of the place. That evening I received a call from them apologizing for not being interviewed. He said I would hear back from them and I never did. Too bad I liked their mission and core values but they need to improve their hiring process.

Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

After online application in May 2015 I was called for a group interview. The interviewers said they would get in touch with candidates who would further be interviewed. We were advised not to call. I was called for another interview after 3 weeks. After another week they called me for a 2 hour job prereview upon which I also given application package to complete. They said they would let me know when to start when process was through. I was shocked to receive an email saying that "although your qualifications were very impressive, we have opted to offer someone else the job". Why get me through the 2 hour unpaid job preview and make me complete application forms then not give me the job? I was very disappointed. Ridiculous! I still would love to work at Sunrise. This was at Webb Gin House in Lawrenceville, Georgia.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself , experience and why care giving.   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Plymouth, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone "pre-interview" then an on-line personality test. I hate it when companies do not get back to you to let you know either way. I understand that decisions take time, but at least do the courtesy of an occasional email update during the process, or advise if the candidate is out of the running... Or at least respond to follow up emails. I understand that saying "you didn't get the job" is an uncomfortable conversation, but leaving someone hanging is just rude. Not sure I would want to work for a company that is that discourteous to potential employees.

Interview Questions

• asked all of the "basic/canned" interview questions... why are you looking for a job, what do you look for in an employer, etc.   1 Answer

Activities Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

Group interview followed a written application form submitted during the session. Mostly introductory and general info shared among a host of various job applicants for different positions. Not very specific to particular jobs we were applying for.

Office Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Had 1:1 interview then phone interview. The 1:1 interview went very well. Unsure of phone interview which came after the 1:1 interview. Did not hear anything after that.

LVN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

There were about 30 people that showed up for the interview. We were split up into two groups. It was a very laid back interview, just very strange with so many other people in the same room interviewing for the same job. The starting pay was only 14.00 an hour.

Interview Questions

• What adult family member had the most impact on you when you were growing up? How?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in December 2014.

Interview

Went to a group interview after being invited by the Administrator received my resume. Was told I would hear back in a week. Was called in 10 minutes for an interview at another location. Went to the location on the day and time they told me to. Everyone was surprised and caught off guard that I appeared. The Manager was not there for the prearranged interview. I observed for a few minutes then left. Epic fail! Not impressed.

Executive Director Interview

Interview

I've had a phone interview on two separate occasions for the position of executive director with Sunrise Senior Living. I was contacted on both occasions by the recruiter for the company though my linkedin profile.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview process was underwhelming. No hard questions to answer. More focused on summarizing your resume.   Answer Question

Care Giver Interview

Interview

I had a very horrible interview experience but I can't even call it that since it ended before it even began. I was told by phone that interviews were conducted once a week in a group. So I arrived at the scheduled day and time for this so-called group interview. When I arrived the front door entrance was jammed. I waited 5 minutes outside for someone to let me in. I had a bad feeling about how the rest of my time there would proceed, rightfully so. When I checked in with front reception, I sat down and waited patiently for 35 minutes passed by scheduled interview time. After waiting patiently for 35 minutes in the lobby, the director came and told me that the person supposed to interview me was not here and that she didn't know she was interviewing someone. She then proceeded and wanted to interview me in the lobby. In my head I'm like, really lady??? Is this professional??? So I politely asked her if their is an office we can go to and discuss the position in private. We then proceeded to an office. First thing she asked me is what hours I'm looking for. I said weekdays as I work on the weekend. She then says we don't have anything available on the weekdays and she can't help me out. I'm like the job ad didn't mention anything about what hours you were looking for, all it said was for a part-time position. Why don't they tell you this before so you don't waste your time and gas going there??? At that point I honestly didn't even want the job. I got a bad impression of how they treat their employees. Most likely they treat them like dirt. Overall I spent an hour traveling and my time wasted in preparing and waiting in the lobby for nothing. They have a horrible organization. I personally would not recommend any of my friends to work there. They probably pay like crap as well. Corporate will sure be hearing from me. I want my gas money!