Sunrise Senior Living

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Reminiscence Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

You will interview with the Executive Director and possibly the management team of the community you are applying for. The next step is a phone or live interview with the area Director of Operations and possibly an interview with a Reminiscence specific Senior Manager. It could take weeks for them to get back to you but that doesn't mean you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is your worst quality as a professional   Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. Make sure to ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research. They will not tell you their "skeletons."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northville, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northville, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in September 2011.

My interview experience was the longest but most thorough process I have ever been through. The process started with an online resume submission, followed by a phone interview. The next steps were a series of 5 face to face interviews with the Regional Director, VP of Operations, Senior Vice President, Regional HR Director, and Regional Director again. I had two additional phone interviews with the Regional Sales Director and Regional Nursing Director. Finally I had two panel interivews: one with the Coordinator Team and one with the front line team members. There is a reason that Sunrise has long tenured team members. They are thorough.

Interview Questions
    • I really did not face an unexpected question. The most difficult question is always when they ask me to describe one weakness. I am always honest and tell them that an opportunity area for me is to always work to be more organized. I expand on that to help them understand that I am organized by nature but work very hard to be more efficient and effective at what I do.   Answer Question
    There was not much negotiation. They gave me one offer, I counter offered and they accepted.

Health Care Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2011.

Apply online, multiple interviews with senior heath care coordinator, executive director of community and regional director

Interview Questions
    • All questions are based on personal experiences you have had from dealing with difficult family situations, or residents to what is the best experience.   View Answer
    I worked with a recruiter to negotiate salary company did not offer sign on bonuses at that time.

Wellness Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in October 2009.

Had to chase this job down. (which I now regret!) they are very slow in their hiring process and you have to be persistent .The staffing doesn't affect the managers, so they are not in a hurray to hire lower staff. they just make them work harder. The HR is hired from a lower position such as a housekeeper so they are slow, unorganized and incompetent. they lose important papers and "forget" to send you for testing. they are not even knowledgeable about how to use basic office equipment let alone policies or procedures.

Interview Questions
    • How would you discipline a staff person if they weren't following procedures?   View Answer
    • what do you like to do for fun?   View Answer
    • How can you teach sunday school if your working on the week-ends?!!!!   View Answer
    nothing to negotiate . A part-time position you would think is two or three days...at sunrise they make all non-management staff work four hours/ five days a week plus every other weekend unless they're short then you have to work every week-end. management does not have to cover for short staffing. if you need a day off or are sick you have to find own coverage or too bad. Please think VERY CAREFULLY before working here!

Concierge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gilbert, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in January 2010.

I turned in an application and background check form, and 4 references (2 personal, 2 professional). Then I met one on one with the hiring manager, and the department head of the job I was applying for. They asked detailed questions about my experience with seniors and how I would react in certain situations. They asked how much I would expect to be paid, and what hours I would be available for. They asked questions about my previous jobs, and how they might be applied to working with seniors. After being hired, there was a lot of paperwork to sign, and I had to wait for my fingerprint clearance card. I had to get CPR/First Aid certified, and get my food handler's permit in addition to completing a two week training course by the company.
    Advice I would give to those coming for an interview- First, dress professionally. No jeans, flipflops, or Tshirts. Second, think about your experience with seniors and why you want to work with them prior to coming to the interview so you're prepared. Also, if you get CPR/First Aid certified and a food handlers permit prior, it will cut down the time if you are hired. If you're able, I would also try to find out how much others in your field with your level of experience are being paid. I had no idea how much I should ask for. (Don't ask employees you don't know at the place you're applying, though- that's bad form.) I would make sure you have a professional sounding voicemail before putting in applications- some employer's are turned off when they hear silly or confusing answering machines. Also think about what to say when they ask what you're weaknesses are- every interview I've ever been to asks that. Lastly, make sure your references are ok with you putting them down, and make sure their numbers are vaild. Sunrise, at least, really does call and check.

Interview Questions
    • Experience with seniors at my previous job (I worked in a restaraunt and so was not expecting that question)   View Answer
    • How much I expected to be paid   View Answer
    I was an entry-level employee, and I was offered a very fair wage, more than I was making before. I did not negotiate. The only thing I would make sure to do is if you need certain days off, you'll be able to get them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Behavioral based interviewing. They will ask specific questions related to past experiences, which will predict future behavior. Be prepared with examples of dealing with difficult customers, examples of team work, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions relating to financial performance and knowledge of profit and loss statements.   Answer Question
    Depends on experience, but they will negotiate.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in January 2014.

Must register online through Sunrise website and fill out online application for initial qualification screening. For key personnel, a company or third party recruiter may contact you for a phone interview. You will be required to take an online "personality" or "style" survey. If you are selected, direct supervisor will contact you to set up an in-person interview. Subsequent panel interview with direct supervisor and at least one additional regional director (I interviewed with two regional directors).

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer "situational" or "performance" questions where you will be asked to recall specific past situations or problems and to role play how you handled them, or asked for a specific, hypothetical situation or problem and how you would handle it or to describe a potential solution. It will likely be a situation that required problem solving skills, adaptability, leadership, conflict resolution, multi-tasking, initiative or stress management. It can be difficult to recall past situations "on the fly" so do some planning ahead of time.   View Answer
    The offer was immediately acceptable. Some advice: do not start working until you have received an offer letter AND any negotiated bonus/commission plan in explicit writing (and ask for clarification on any confusing or obscure language).

Executive Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in October 2014.

Very lengthy interview process. I submitted my application. I was contacted by the recruiting within 7 days and had an initial phone interview of about 30 minutes. Within 2 days, the second phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. About a week later, I had a in person interview with the hiring manager, then a series of interviews with the leadership team and a final interview with a VP Panel. The process was very long but the people were really amazing. They were professional and made me feel comfortable and welcome. I was impressed at the level of experience in the company and the commitment to try and find the right fit for the company. At the particular community I interviewed for they had staff (managers) who had been there for over 20 years. This was very impressive. I met individuals who started as caregivers and were now in top leadership positions due to education and promotion.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very specific. You had to give examples of specific incidents and the issue, action and resolution you took.   View Answer
    There was very little negotiation which was expected. The communities have a certain budget for the position and could not exceed it

Activities Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

One on one with Activity Director and then the Executive Director. I also came back another day to do a job preview to see if the job was a good fit for me as well as for the community. It looked liked a great community with nice residents, clean facility and the workers were also nice.

Interview Questions
    • Have you every had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

It was and hourly rate that was very low for the position.

Activity and Volunteer Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in April 2014.

I was contacted initially by e-mail after submitting my resume on line in response to the posting.
    Person who scheduled interview was pleasant and accommodating to my schedule. Information as to who would be hiring me , however , was vague and not very helpful. The in person interviewer seemed distracted with other tasks and really did not convey any interest as to how I might fit the needs of the position. After the initial one on one interview , two staff were brought in to conduct their part of the interview. They were pleasant and polite but seemed detached from the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you meet the needs of someone who refused to leave their room   Answer Question