Sunrise Senior Living

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Activities Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

One on one with Activity Director and then the Executive Director. I also came back another day to do a job preview to see if the job was a good fit for me as well as for the community. It looked liked a great community with nice residents, clean facility and the workers were also nice.

Interview Questions
    • Have you every had a disagreement with a coworker and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

It was and hourly rate that was very low for the position.

Executive Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in October 2014.

Very lengthy interview process. I submitted my application. I was contacted by the recruiting within 7 days and had an initial phone interview of about 30 minutes. Within 2 days, the second phone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. About a week later, I had a in person interview with the hiring manager, then a series of interviews with the leadership team and a final interview with a VP Panel. The process was very long but the people were really amazing. They were professional and made me feel comfortable and welcome. I was impressed at the level of experience in the company and the commitment to try and find the right fit for the company. At the particular community I interviewed for they had staff (managers) who had been there for over 20 years. This was very impressive. I met individuals who started as caregivers and were now in top leadership positions due to education and promotion.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very specific. You had to give examples of specific incidents and the issue, action and resolution you took.   View Answer
    There was very little negotiation which was expected. The communities have a certain budget for the position and could not exceed it

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in January 2014.

Must register online through Sunrise website and fill out online application for initial qualification screening. For key personnel, a company or third party recruiter may contact you for a phone interview. You will be required to take an online "personality" or "style" survey. If you are selected, direct supervisor will contact you to set up an in-person interview. Subsequent panel interview with direct supervisor and at least one additional regional director (I interviewed with two regional directors).

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to answer "situational" or "performance" questions where you will be asked to recall specific past situations or problems and to role play how you handled them, or asked for a specific, hypothetical situation or problem and how you would handle it or to describe a potential solution. It will likely be a situation that required problem solving skills, adaptability, leadership, conflict resolution, multi-tasking, initiative or stress management. It can be difficult to recall past situations "on the fly" so do some planning ahead of time.   View Answer
    The offer was immediately acceptable. Some advice: do not start working until you have received an offer letter AND any negotiated bonus/commission plan in explicit writing (and ask for clarification on any confusing or obscure language).

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Behavioral based interviewing. They will ask specific questions related to past experiences, which will predict future behavior. Be prepared with examples of dealing with difficult customers, examples of team work, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions relating to financial performance and knowledge of profit and loss statements.   Answer Question
    Depends on experience, but they will negotiate.

Care Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Filled out application online a couple days later received an email from one if the recruiters apparently they were having a job fair went in for the job fair on 08/06 it was so many people there then they called about 12 of us out for the interview the interview was conducted by the director of nurses and the coordinator they asked about 5 questions nothing hard really easy questions but they didn't ask the questions to each person you just had to speak out they also told us history about sunrise what we would be doing and how much we were going to make after the interview was over they told us if we're interested they would call us in a week a week later I got a phone call from them asking me to come in and shadow for 2 hours after that was over they ask me did I like it and told me to call the coordinator the following day called the coordinator set up another interview went in for the interview wasn't much of an interview just them asking me did I want the job after that they gave me the information to go take my tb test physical drug test and background check then they called me about 2 weeks later to come in for training

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question just things like why do you want to work here what experience do you have   Answer Question
    No negotiation offered 10$

Activity and Volunteer Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in April 2014.

I was contacted initially by e-mail after submitting my resume on line in response to the posting.
    Person who scheduled interview was pleasant and accommodating to my schedule. Information as to who would be hiring me , however , was vague and not very helpful. The in person interviewer seemed distracted with other tasks and really did not convey any interest as to how I might fit the needs of the position. After the initial one on one interview , two staff were brought in to conduct their part of the interview. They were pleasant and polite but seemed detached from the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you meet the needs of someone who refused to leave their room   Answer Question

Life Enrichment Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in February 2013.

First 2 interviewers were new at it, but very interested in my creative ideas for the position. Second interview at Coordinator level occurred same day because my qualifications were excellent and they hired me on the spot. Generally this is a 2 step process. An interviewee should be prepared to evince genuine love for the elderly, ability to organize a balanced program of enrichments for all levels of memory impaired residents, and a gift for one to one or two engagements with residents that provide social warmth and general stimulation for moments of delight each day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle conflict with fellow staff?   View Answer
    A bit too informal. I was signed up for training before I even had an offer, did not know salary or schedule, had to ask for it in writing. No negotiation really. Low salaries common in this position.

Care Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

I applied online 07/18/2014. I received a call from the head of the department asking me to come in for a group interview on 07/31/2014. I went in for my interview, very chill and informal, and while everyone left, the manager asked me and one other person to stay behind. They told me they wanted to go further in the hiring process. I came in 08/03 for my preview. They just have you shadow someone for an hour or so and pretty much tell you what comes with the job, how much you get paid, etc. On 08/12 I went back to fill out paperwork for scans, background check, drug test, etc. I got all my stuff done the next day. Today they called me and offered me a position. It's an extensive process, but it's worth it.

CNA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2013.

easy, less than 30 min. then 1 hour of shadowing an employee immediately after, and filling out paper work that day. Started a week later, and had to complete online training sessions/ and a skills checkoff/ orientation.

Concierge Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2014.

I submitted a resume and application on the company website. About a week later, I received an email letting me know I had been selected to attend a group interview. The day of the interview, I arrived at the local Sunrise facility along with about 15 other people. About half of us were interviewing for the concierge/receptionist position. The others were interviewing for caregiver positions. We all filled out profile sheets about our favorite colors and pets. Then we watched a brief video on Sunrise. Next, two managers sat with all of us and described their experience and expectations of team members. Finally, we answered several questions. Some were required questions...we went around the circle. Others were optional...only a few of us answered. They included: your name and what position you are applying for, why do you want to work at Sunrise, what do you bring to Sunrise, what do you expect from Sunrise. The process took 1 hour. The day after the interview, I received a photocopied letter letting me know they would keep me resume on file. That was 2 months ago. The position is still open.