Sunrise Senior Living

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.6

Care Manager Interview

I was called in for a group interview. I did not like what I seen .

Reminiscence Care Manager Interview

Very lengthy interview and hiring process. They required a 6 hour observation before I was hired, which is good due to the nature of the work. You also have to pass a physical.

CNA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2013.

easy, less than 30 min. then 1 hour of shadowing an employee immediately after, and filling out paper work that day. Started a week later, and had to complete online training sessions/ and a skills checkoff/ orientation.

EMR Trainer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2013.

Temp- to perm position. Worked 6 months then offered full time.

Interview Questions

I am use to working with a team of people who believe in team work, not just within the Community but also within the CSO and that was missing- Incomplete structure.

Care Manager - Care Giver - Care Partner Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

Sunrise Senior Living has group interview every week. If they like you at that interview they will give you a call back and have you come in for a “job preview” which is following someone around for the same position that you want to see what the job consist of. After this you will be asked if you like the job and what floor you would like to work on. You will talk to the head of that department and be scheduled for a second interview. The next step is all the training after you are hired. I went to three different Sunrise locations for group interviews. Location #1 - I went in and there was seven different people most were going for the same care manager position. They explained that at Sunrise they call it a care manager because you are managing someone’s care but they sometimes post on their website the care giver/care partner in order not intimidate people looking through their website. Most of people in the interview did not apply online which is a necessary step you need to take to be hired there. The interview mostly consisted of them telling you about Sunrise and you asking them questions about the company. They asked us two questions with in the interview. 1. Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? 2. They took their mission statement and core values and ask you how you can bring "joy of service" "preserving dignity" "respect" and so on, to the table. After that we took a tour of building. They did not have a lot of jobs available at this particular location. I believe that the young lady with her CNA three years of experience got the job because she her mother also worked there. Which I am glad they found someone that was the right fit for them. Location #2 In this interview there were four total people in the interview. Two were going for the wellness nurse and another lady and myself were going for the care manager position. They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. They then had the nurses go out and take a tour while the other woman leading the interview stay and talk with us. She asked more detail of our experience. The other woman that was going for the care manager had more experience with leading activities at the other assisted living she was working at so the interview manager suggested she do the same for Sunrise. Then the interview manager talked to me and said she wanted me to come in for a job pre view the next day. I came in and spent three and a half hours there following different team members around that had the care manager position. I went on all the different floors and was shown the daily requirements of the job. At the end of the job preview the same interview manager asked me if I liked the job and what floor I would want to be on. I told her the floors and she called that floor manager she came down. She asked me my background with the elderly and dementia as well as my availability. She also asked me what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do? This was a really short interview five to ten minutes. She scheduled me an appointment with the director of the building. I am going into that interview this week. It will be about ten to fifteen minutes long. I am pretty sure I have a job. Before you can work at the job you have to have a background check, health background check, physical, tb test, drug test (which they pay for all of this), thirty hours of training on the computer, then sixteen hours of on the job training with someone which is paid. Location #3 There were two other people going for the same job I was going for. The interview consisted of mainly talking about Sunrise. The woman asked two questions. One was the typical what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? The other question was “when was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?” They gave a tour of the place and you were welcome to ask anything about Sunrise. I am waiting to hear back from them. One of the two hiring managers wasn’t there because she was busy with something that came up. So she needs to be filled in on what happened before anyone gets a call back. Then I have another group interview at location #4 next week. Location #2 and #4 called me so I believe that they are the ones that really need the people. This is what I have seen from my observation.

Interview Questions
    • #1 Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? How would you help someone preserve their dignity?
      #2 They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do?
      #3 what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? When was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?

Answer Question
    None

Health Care Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

First a phone interview with corporate HR, followed by a one on one with the executive director. Both very relaxed and friendly. HR asked detailed questions about my experience and background, along with behavioral questions about handling conflict. The ED did a quick review of my experience, then encouraged me to ask questions, and I had plenty. This was followed by a tour of the community, where I had the opportunity to interact with residents. It felt more like a "get to know you", than a interview. Very relaxed.
    Next step is to spend a few hours with a HCC at another community. Hopefully, this will give me more details about the actual job role.
    No job offer yet, continuing with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Just be relaxed and be yourself. Have stories about how you handle conflict ready to answer their questions.   Answer Question

Reminiscence Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Group interview with management.

Interview Questions
    Straight forward. No negotiations.

Licensed Practical Nurse Wellness Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in March 2013.

go to group interview and the will call you for preview and second interview. after interview you have to do a drug test and background check. the computer training and then you get put on the schedule

no negotiation

Life Enrichment Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in February 2013.

First 2 interviewers were new at it, but very interested in my creative ideas for the position. Second interview at Coordinator level occurred same day because my qualifications were excellent and they hired me on the spot. Generally this is a 2 step process. An interviewee should be prepared to evince genuine love for the elderly, ability to organize a balanced program of enrichments for all levels of memory impaired residents, and a gift for one to one or two engagements with residents that provide social warmth and general stimulation for moments of delight each day.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle conflict with fellow staff?   View Answer
    A bit too informal. I was signed up for training before I even had an offer, did not know salary or schedule, had to ask for it in writing. No negotiation really. Low salaries common in this position.

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in February 2013.

All we needed to bring was a copy of our resume and license. My interviewer was rude and told me that I was not going to be hired for lack of experience, when I had previously been told NO experience was needed and new grads could apply.