Sunrise Senior Living

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.6

Care Giver Interview

I first applied online with a Cover Letter and Resume. I have absolutely no experience in Care-giving or work experience, and although I was very eager to learn, I was still very surprised when I got the e-mail telling me a was selected to go to an interview.

The e-mail didn't say it was a group interview, but there was about 15 - 20 people. Most were looking for Caregiver position, and I believe about 2 people were there for the Team Leader Position. They have a very beautiful facility and we were interviewed in some type of lounge/living room with tables and couches. The interview was very informal. The only question asked: "Please tell us about yourself & why do you want to work at Sunrise?" I don't remember who exactly interviewed us, but there one of our interviewed informed us that the interview process is a long one. We were free to ask our interviewers any questions we had about the job.

This was my very first job interview ever! I had a nice experience, although I was very confused as to why they would send me in for an interview when they had people who were much more qualified than I was. I was very nervous and a bit intimidated when I got to know a little bit about the other prospectives before the actual "interview". I realized that I was in way over my head so I guess it kind of helped my nerves a bit, because I kind of figured that I would not be hired, so I had nothing to lose LOL.

Interview Questions
    • Only one question: Tell us about yourself & why you want to work for Sunrise. We went around the room and introduced ourselves. It was pretty informal.   Answer Question

Lead Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

A month is very long for the hiring process. First you shadow for 4 hours, then they do a background check, fingerprints, and drug test, then you fill out the necessary paperwork. You train for 5 days on the computer then, depending if you have experience or not, you train on the floor for 3-5 days

Interview Questions
    • Why does it take a month to get trained   View Answer

Reminiscence Coordinator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

You will interview with the Executive Director and possibly the management team of the community you are applying for. The next step is a phone or live interview with the area Director of Operations and possibly an interview with a Reminiscence specific Senior Manager. It could take weeks for them to get back to you but that doesn't mean you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • What do you feel is your worst quality as a professional   Answer Question
    Not much of a negotiation. Make sure to ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research. They will not tell you their "skeletons."

Director Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in October 2013.

Interview was professional but they seem to be very scattered in terms of direction. Felt as if it would be hard to build a team. Very pleasant people but are not willing to provide the technology and programs needed for the position.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions but rather asking on how I would put together a team.   Answer Question

They didn't have the direction and commitment that I feel is required to be successful in the position. Everything was to vague.

Care Manager Interview

I was called in for a group interview. I did not like what I seen .

Reminiscence Care Manager Interview

Very lengthy interview and hiring process. They required a 6 hour observation before I was hired, which is good due to the nature of the work. You also have to pass a physical.

CNA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2013.

easy, less than 30 min. then 1 hour of shadowing an employee immediately after, and filling out paper work that day. Started a week later, and had to complete online training sessions/ and a skills checkoff/ orientation.

EMR Trainer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2013.

Temp- to perm position. Worked 6 months then offered full time.

Interview Questions

I am use to working with a team of people who believe in team work, not just within the Community but also within the CSO and that was missing- Incomplete structure.

Care Manager - Care Giver - Care Partner Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

Sunrise Senior Living has group interview every week. If they like you at that interview they will give you a call back and have you come in for a “job preview” which is following someone around for the same position that you want to see what the job consist of. After this you will be asked if you like the job and what floor you would like to work on. You will talk to the head of that department and be scheduled for a second interview. The next step is all the training after you are hired. I went to three different Sunrise locations for group interviews. Location #1 - I went in and there was seven different people most were going for the same care manager position. They explained that at Sunrise they call it a care manager because you are managing someone’s care but they sometimes post on their website the care giver/care partner in order not intimidate people looking through their website. Most of people in the interview did not apply online which is a necessary step you need to take to be hired there. The interview mostly consisted of them telling you about Sunrise and you asking them questions about the company. They asked us two questions with in the interview. 1. Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? 2. They took their mission statement and core values and ask you how you can bring "joy of service" "preserving dignity" "respect" and so on, to the table. After that we took a tour of building. They did not have a lot of jobs available at this particular location. I believe that the young lady with her CNA three years of experience got the job because she her mother also worked there. Which I am glad they found someone that was the right fit for them. Location #2 In this interview there were four total people in the interview. Two were going for the wellness nurse and another lady and myself were going for the care manager position. They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. They then had the nurses go out and take a tour while the other woman leading the interview stay and talk with us. She asked more detail of our experience. The other woman that was going for the care manager had more experience with leading activities at the other assisted living she was working at so the interview manager suggested she do the same for Sunrise. Then the interview manager talked to me and said she wanted me to come in for a job pre view the next day. I came in and spent three and a half hours there following different team members around that had the care manager position. I went on all the different floors and was shown the daily requirements of the job. At the end of the job preview the same interview manager asked me if I liked the job and what floor I would want to be on. I told her the floors and she called that floor manager she came down. She asked me my background with the elderly and dementia as well as my availability. She also asked me what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do? This was a really short interview five to ten minutes. She scheduled me an appointment with the director of the building. I am going into that interview this week. It will be about ten to fifteen minutes long. I am pretty sure I have a job. Before you can work at the job you have to have a background check, health background check, physical, tb test, drug test (which they pay for all of this), thirty hours of training on the computer, then sixteen hours of on the job training with someone which is paid. Location #3 There were two other people going for the same job I was going for. The interview consisted of mainly talking about Sunrise. The woman asked two questions. One was the typical what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? The other question was “when was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?” They gave a tour of the place and you were welcome to ask anything about Sunrise. I am waiting to hear back from them. One of the two hiring managers wasn’t there because she was busy with something that came up. So she needs to be filled in on what happened before anyone gets a call back. Then I have another group interview at location #4 next week. Location #2 and #4 called me so I believe that they are the ones that really need the people. This is what I have seen from my observation.

Interview Questions
    • #1 Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? How would you help someone preserve their dignity?
      #2 They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do?
      #3 what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? When was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?

Answer Question
    None

Health Care Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

First a phone interview with corporate HR, followed by a one on one with the executive director. Both very relaxed and friendly. HR asked detailed questions about my experience and background, along with behavioral questions about handling conflict. The ED did a quick review of my experience, then encouraged me to ask questions, and I had plenty. This was followed by a tour of the community, where I had the opportunity to interact with residents. It felt more like a "get to know you", than a interview. Very relaxed.
    Next step is to spend a few hours with a HCC at another community. Hopefully, this will give me more details about the actual job role.
    No job offer yet, continuing with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Just be relaxed and be yourself. Have stories about how you handle conflict ready to answer their questions.   Answer Question