Sunrise Senior Living

Relevance Date Difficulty

Care Manager Interview

Care Manager

Interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living

Interview Details – I was called in for a group interview. I did not like what I seen .

Interview Question – They asked me about my favorit movie   Answer Question

Reminiscence Care Manager Interview

Reminiscence Care Manager

Interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living

Interview Details – Very lengthy interview and hiring process. They required a 6 hour observation before I was hired, which is good due to the nature of the work. You also have to pass a physical.

Interview Question – all standard   Answer Question

Care Manager - Care Giver - Care Partner Interview

Care Manager - Care Giver - Care Partner

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

Interview Details – Sunrise Senior Living has group interview every week. If they like you at that interview they will give you a call back and have you come in for a “job preview” which is following someone around for the same position that you want to see what the job consist of. After this you will be asked if you like the job and what floor you would like to work on. You will talk to the head of that department and be scheduled for a second interview. The next step is all the training after you are hired. I went to three different Sunrise locations for group interviews. Location #1 - I went in and there was seven different people most were going for the same care manager position. They explained that at Sunrise they call it a care manager because you are managing someone’s care but they sometimes post on their website the care giver/care partner in order not intimidate people looking through their website. Most of people in the interview did not apply online which is a necessary step you need to take to be hired there. The interview mostly consisted of them telling you about Sunrise and you asking them questions about the company. They asked us two questions with in the interview. 1. Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? 2. They took their mission statement and core values and ask you how you can bring "joy of service" "preserving dignity" "respect" and so on, to the table. After that we took a tour of building. They did not have a lot of jobs available at this particular location. I believe that the young lady with her CNA three years of experience got the job because she her mother also worked there. Which I am glad they found someone that was the right fit for them. Location #2 In this interview there were four total people in the interview. Two were going for the wellness nurse and another lady and myself were going for the care manager position. They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. They then had the nurses go out and take a tour while the other woman leading the interview stay and talk with us. She asked more detail of our experience. The other woman that was going for the care manager had more experience with leading activities at the other assisted living she was working at so the interview manager suggested she do the same for Sunrise. Then the interview manager talked to me and said she wanted me to come in for a job pre view the next day. I came in and spent three and a half hours there following different team members around that had the care manager position. I went on all the different floors and was shown the daily requirements of the job. At the end of the job preview the same interview manager asked me if I liked the job and what floor I would want to be on. I told her the floors and she called that floor manager she came down. She asked me my background with the elderly and dementia as well as my availability. She also asked me what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do? This was a really short interview five to ten minutes. She scheduled me an appointment with the director of the building. I am going into that interview this week. It will be about ten to fifteen minutes long. I am pretty sure I have a job. Before you can work at the job you have to have a background check, health background check, physical, tb test, drug test (which they pay for all of this), thirty hours of training on the computer, then sixteen hours of on the job training with someone which is paid. Location #3 There were two other people going for the same job I was going for. The interview consisted of mainly talking about Sunrise. The woman asked two questions. One was the typical what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? The other question was “when was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?” They gave a tour of the place and you were welcome to ask anything about Sunrise. I am waiting to hear back from them. One of the two hiring managers wasn’t there because she was busy with something that came up. So she needs to be filled in on what happened before anyone gets a call back. Then I have another group interview at location #4 next week. Location #2 and #4 called me so I believe that they are the ones that really need the people. This is what I have seen from my observation.

Interview Question – #1 Tell me about yourself, your degree or the degree you are aspiring to get, what are availability was, how did you hear about Sunrise and your experience in this line of work? How would you help someone preserve their dignity?
#2 They asked for our experience with the elderly and dementia, and our availability. what would I do if I had a dementia resident on the floor that wanted to leave and thought he was moving out and you had already tried to get him to understand that he lives there and everything else what would you do?
#3 what is your background with elderly, what is your experience and what is your availability and what was our hobby? When was a time that you have had to work with a difficult patient and what did you do?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Health Care Coordinator Interview

Health Care Coordinator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in August 2011.

Interview Details – Apply online, multiple interviews with senior heath care coordinator, executive director of community and regional director

Interview Question – All questions are based on personal experiences you have had from dealing with difficult family situations, or residents to what is the best experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I worked with a recruiter to negotiate salary company did not offer sign on bonuses at that time.

Health Care Coordinator Interview

Health Care Coordinator

I applied online - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in June 2013.

Interview Details – First a phone interview with corporate HR, followed by a one on one with the executive director. Both very relaxed and friendly. HR asked detailed questions about my experience and background, along with behavioral questions about handling conflict. The ED did a quick review of my experience, then encouraged me to ask questions, and I had plenty. This was followed by a tour of the community, where I had the opportunity to interact with residents. It felt more like a "get to know you", than a interview. Very relaxed.
Next step is to spend a few hours with a HCC at another community. Hopefully, this will give me more details about the actual job role.
No job offer yet, continuing with the interview process.

Interview Question – Just be relaxed and be yourself. Have stories about how you handle conflict ready to answer their questions.   Answer Question

Reminiscence Coordinator Interview

Reminiscence Coordinator
Santa Rosa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview Details – Group interview with management.

Interview Question – What will you bring to this position.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Straight forward. No negotiations.

Very Easy Interview

Care Manager Interview

Care Manager
Valencia, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in April 2012.

Interview Details – I waited over an hour and a half for my interview and it did not consist of any interview questions. She looked at my resume, asked if I wanted to shadow for a few hours (paid) and then I could decide if I wanted the job.

Negotiation Details – They did not have a negotiation process. I was filling out paperwork for employment when I found out how much I would be making.

Licensed Practical Nurse Interview

Licensed Practical Nurse
Staten Island, NY

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in February 2013.

Interview Details – All we needed to bring was a copy of our resume and license. My interviewer was rude and told me that I was not going to be hired for lack of experience, when I had previously been told NO experience was needed and new grads could apply.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Care Manager--Care Giver Interview

Care Manager--Care Giver
Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted and had a very short phone interview with a member of human resources at a particular location before being cut off (one of our phones). My phone did not save her number, and I attempted to get in contact with her over the next two days, only to be met with impatience and inconsideration by another staff member over the phone. I had multiple different people call me, all scheduling different interview times that conflicted with one another and leave messages, so I was confused as to when I was supposed to meet with their hiring staff. I again, was met with impatience and gross unprofessionalism in comments and behavior from staff, but finally settled on a date for this in-person interview.

I showed up to the interview 15 minutes early, dressed appropriately, with resume and cover letter in hand. I was greeted with a confused look and lack of enthusiasm/professionalism. I stated my name and purpose and was told that I was not supposed to be in that day. Turns out, I was confused with another applicant with the exact same name! She stated to me that they had my application on file, but that the staff I was supposed to speak with (about three people) all happened to sick on the same day and she had no idea when they were coming back or when I could speak to them. She simply handed me a business card and said that someone would get to me within the next few weeks. I was not called or informed of the change of plans, nor was I given an apology. Very disappointed. The facility itself is beautiful and has a very "homey" feel to it. The residents also seemed nice, but I did not have a great first impression of any staff members. I accepted another offer and will decline this offer should a staff member call me back about the position.

Interview Question – None--I was just briefly asked to sum up experience and given a short overview of job description and details and when I would be scheduled for an interview (That never happened).   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Activities Assistant Interview

Activities Assistant
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in September 2012.

Interview Details – The business cordinator uses unneccesary forceful and inappropriate tones when commanding requireed documents for employment

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Very easy to get hired.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered an hourly wage that is well below the cost of living for my area.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sunrise Senior Living