Sunrun

Very Difficult Interview

Solar Consultant Interview

Solar Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Sunrun.

Interview Details – The interview/ Hiring process was very straight forward with a detailed background check, reference check, and income verification that took a total of 30+ days with a total of 2 interviews with the last interview had you pitching solar to the VP of sales. The 1st interview began with my recruiter then on to the Sales Manager, once all the paperwork was checked and verified they brought me back to speak to the VP of sales ( Very intense man ) and had me pitch him Solar, you must close him or from what I hear you will be passed on so remember guys and gals "ABC".

Interview Question – Most Difficult was the waiting, because they are a very through, ethical, and hire very carefully it well over a month from my first conversation to my offer letter being sent to my email. Due to the solar industry being in its infancy, and very small, a RAINMAKER is a valued commodity and companies will go to great lengths to keep them in the company. Now with that said companies will go to great lengths to make it known they are not poaching. If you are coming from a Channel partner or a past partner be sure to have a letter from that past employer that it is ok for you to look for other opportunities, which if you are good you will never get. In my case since my past employer was livid that I wanted to leave would not give me a letter so my offer letter stated that I was in no way approached by SunRun, and that I made the first contact.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you get an offer letter form sunrun congratulations because they get thousands of apps a month. If they covent you that much then they are prepared to pay 10-15% higher that their first offer, so if they offer you 40k ask for 45k, if they offer 1000 shares ask for 1500, the comp plan is non negotiable.

Scheduler Interview

Scheduler
San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sunrun.

Interview Details – I declined an interview for their sales position because they insulted me by offering some one straight out of college the wage of some one with a high school diploma. I said I'd be interested in another position and they suggested the scheduler position. The young, 23 yr old recruiter from UC Davis, was pretty elitist and nosey about my life in the interview. She made a big deal on why I didn't want to do sales and I said another company interviewed me for the same job, but offered me more pay and I told her I didn't want to do sales anymore and then she inquired into my college education. Which I got a feeling she looked down on my college education compared to hers. She then said she would email me back during the week for a face to face interview. I emailed her thanking her for the phone interview and I shortly got an email stating they selected some one else from the job. No doubt it was another UC grad to join the elite club. Position was also contracted and would include no benefits and last only six months. It is terrible that some of these companies pay workers with a college degree so little with a lot of experience.

Interview Question – Why did you major in sociology?   Answer Question

Channel Sales Interview

Channel Sales
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sunrun in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an internal recruiter with whom I had worked before, he requested resume/cover for the position, which I emailed to him. I was subsequently contacted by someone else (administrative?) who coordinated timing. The process was reasonably smooth via email but would have been easier/quicker over the phone.

Upon arrival, one of the four interviewers was not able to attend personally, so we spoke on the phone. The fourth interviewer (a peer interview) was rushed for time, yet polite. In all, the process was friendly, predictable, and pleasant/professional.

When I was not chosen for the position, and followed up with all of the interviewers, no reason/explanation was offered despite my questions. No follow-up was requested by them, nor offered in response to my questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked specifically how I would target/enter a specific channel market about which I have admittedly small background/knowledge. It was pertinent to the job, yet came as a surprise for which I was not prepared, nor could I have been reasonably assumed to be prepared.   Answer Question
  • Why aren't you in consumer goods instead of solar? (asked by someone with a consumer good background, in response to my outdoorsy hobbies/pursuits)   View Answer

Field Service Associate Interview

Field Service Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sunrun.

Interview Details – They were very professional. I first worked with a recruiter who set up a phone screen. Then came to the interview with the manager + 3 associates. The manager was pretty sold on me from the start, but the associates were a bit harder to figure out. I got the offer after a long delay and they said it was mainly due to my obvious passion, even though my experience was less than other candidates.

Interview Question – Testing of solar knowledge. They showed diagrams of PV systems and asked scenario questions, like "if this system is not producing, what could be the reasons?". Also showed a diagram of an installed system and asked to name all the different parts, what they did, and where they were located.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was just too low in comparison to another offer from a competing company. (The positions were very different, not for the same role)

Network Administrator Interview

Network Administrator
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Sunrun in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview to screen out potential candidates.

Interview Question – How do you troubleshoot a network connection to a server that isn't responding to a ping.   Answer Question

Field Sales Consultant Interview

Field Sales Consultant

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sunrun in May 2013.

Interview Details – Went through two interview processes. The first was 2 hours. I met with 4 different individuals for 30 minutes. Their series of questions were skillfully thought out to see if I would be a good cultural fit in their environment. Every once in awhile someone would throw in a question or statement to see if a person could be discouraged about possibly taking the job, i.e. extensive travel time away from home, 60 hour work weeks, etc. Many would view questions or statements like these as ones that would put the company in a bad light, however this a great way for the person interviewing for the position to interview the company that they are interviewing with. If the person being interviewed doesn't feel the job would be a good fit for him or her, they need to know what challenges lie ahead and both parties can move on.

Two weeks after I met with the four person panel, I received a called from an individual in talent acquisition, wanting to schedule me to come in for a second interview with two of the Vice Presidents that I would report to. He gave me a wide open door when he asked me if I felt that there was anything that I needed or any assistance that he could provide before meeting with them. I took that as an open invitation to find out what strengths, character, personality, energy levels, etc that they would be looking for in someone that they would want for a job. He was very knowledgable in telling me about the intensity levels they displayed and the passion that they have in what they do. If I could match that, that would give me the advantage.

The first Vice President whom I met with, put his cards on the table and said less than 20 minutes into the conversation that he wanted me to come aboard. By the time I got to my second interview with the next VP I felt that I just needed to close the deal. I never got over confident in meeting with the second Vice President, I made sure I didn't my best to match his body language and passion. I was presented with a job offer at the meeting's end.

Interview Question – "Tell me about what you think is your greatest weakness?"

Many don't ever want to talk about where they are weak. What's worse, many candidates will want to project the image of being the perfect candidate and try to say that they, "...can't think of any weaknesses." Everyone has a weakness or something that they can improve upon. Turning that question around into an answer that shows where you can improve upon can go a long way.
  View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Accounting Interview

Accounting

I applied online - interviewed at Sunrun in March 2014.

Interview Details – After an initial phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in person interview with a group of people. From the moment I showed up for the interview, it was down hill.

When I showed up, there was no receptionist to be found, finally the internal recruiter came out to meet me and asked if a packet had been prepared for me, which it wasn't. The scheduled room for my interview was being used so they used an empty office instead.

The first young lady I interviewed with kept apologizing for not knowing anything since she had only been there 2 months. She gave me the impression that it was all chaos and not really happy there. The 2nd young lady I met with came in with a sense of authority that I was not sure it was real. She informed me that this position would be reporting to her and that she wanted:

a) someone who can come in and fix everything since 2 years ago they had a bad system implementation that has not been fixed since then. Yep, not fixed in 2 years!
b) someone who can be a leader and mentor to the staff
c) accomplish this on their own as she was not able to give guidance since she was never at her desk
d) develop process and procedures as everything was currently being done manually

I might be making false assumptions here but it sounded to me like she wanted to hire someone to do her job.

The 3rd woman was the most enjoyable interview. She was candid and upfront letting me know that everyone there is young. Yes, "young" kept coming up with every person I interviewed with.

The 4th and final interview was with yet another young lady who didn't ask my anything at all, we just talked about life and that was the end of the interview.

Summary: I felt as if the finance group was in chaos and without any experienced/seasoned members in the team to help lead the bright and young talent there. If your main objective is to hire bright young people that is fine, but fail to understand how that is working out for them so far if they remain in constant chaos.

After the interview I felt it was a waste everyone's time. If the young people making the decisions want other young people, why bring in an older experienced person at all if they are going to feel threatened by age and experience?

Interview Question – Are you okay with just being a manager?   View Answer

Customer Service Manager Training QA Interview

Customer Service Manager Training QA
San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sunrun in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed 10 times for the customer service QA and Training manager vacancy. Sunrun flew me in from Glendale CA twice to San Francisco. There was apparently no reason why they did not offer the job but there has to be a reason why they failed to even let me know through a one liner about their decision. I sent two emails to induce a standard response of regret to no avail..

Interview Question – One of the questions the VP asked was about the cultural difference between the country I originate from and USA. I responded with my comparison of the corporate culture thinking societal culture is of no relevance during a professional interview but I was told later he wanted to know about societal culture and that is the response he didn't like. My response was I did not see any difference. Manifestation of apprehensive leadership.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Recruiter Interview

Sales Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sunrun.

Interview Details – Sent in my resume and received a response to set up a call with their Talent Director. Had the phone interview with him and he seemed really green. I got the feeling that if I didn't lead some of the conversation we would be left sitting in silence. At the end if said that he would like to bring me in to meet the rest of the team and that his coordinator would contact me to set it up. I sent a thank you email to him saying that I'm looking forward to meeting the team. Never heard back from them. Solidified the thought I had of him being green. Normally if you don't like someone you'd just say thank you and that you'll be in touch, not invite them to come in.

Interview Question – He didn't ask me any questions. We spent the time talking about Sunrun and going over some questions I had about their future prospects.   Answer Question

Project Finance Manager Interview

Project Finance Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sunrun in February 2013.

Interview Details – Initial approach by HR associate, went through a basic interview and then onto an interview with the CFO who assigned me an exercise in financial modeling.

Interview Question – The exercise I needed to turn in was challenging, especially given the time constraint. I would say that it was a good learning experience though, and a good test of my abilities   Answer Question

Worked for Sunrun? Contribute to the Community!