Suntech Power Interview Questions & Reviews

2 interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Suntech Power in March 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had a phone screen, and then had two in-person interviews (which were rescheduled once). That went well, and I was invited back for a second round of five interviews--also rescheduled. Hey, I'm flexible, and they gave me a couple of days' notice, so that wasn't a huge deal. But they were simultaneously hiring a new director to expand the group, to whom this position would report. That seemed to me like the wrong way to go about it--wouldn't you want the hiring manager on board and involved in the process of hiring the new group? So the second round was a little awkward, but went well enough. They said they had narrowed it down to two candidates, and the final round would be with the new director after he/she came on board. No surprise, the new director came on board and wanted to bring in his/her own candidates. I completely understand that, but think their time and mine would have been better spent if they had started the process that way. Oh, and canceling the final interview the morning of (after it had also been rescheduled)? Can't say I was impressed by their HR practices. At least I developed a good relationship with the recruiter, so it wasn't a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were mostly standard HR and behavioral questions (strengths, weaknesses, dealing with different work styles), and some functional questions.   Answer Question

Logistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Suntech Power in January 2010.

I found this job on Indeed.com and went to Suntech's website to view the listing. As per their instructions, I sent my resume by email.

Four months later, I received an email asking if they could schedule a phone interview for the next day. The interview was with an HR person, who had me review my work history, talking about each place and explaining what I learned/achieved there. I basically used my resume as a guideline, elaborating here and there as it seemed appropriate. She also asked about the typical interview-type questions, such as what are my strengths and weaknesses, etc.

About a week later, I received an email from another person (this time someone in the same department as the position I was interviewing for) asking to schedule an interview for the following week.

The first person I interviewed with was the Director of Sales Operations. For someone coming from a logistics background, this was a little disappointing, because it means that Logistics most likely reports to Sales Operations, rather than Operations or Supply Chain management. The next person I talked to was the position's direct supervisor. This person also did not have any kind of Ops background. She slouched in her chair, never smiled, and generally seemed distracted during our interview. At one point, a man in a suit came up to the room's window and made some motions to her, and I got the impression she had to run off to some meeting. Sure enough, the interview was over and she sent in her assistant to talk to me. It wasn't rude exactly, I understand we all get swamped at work, but it wasn't very professional, either.

I was surprised to find out they don't offer dental benefits! (Dental benefits don't seem very expensive, especially compared with the cost of not getting your teeth checked regularly. I'm going to guess a lot of the staff don't have children, or they all have excellent genes!)

The office was very clean, modern, and professional, but a lot of people were out of the office so it was very quiet. Security was good, from the building lobby to the office entrance. Dress seemed to vary, from semi-casual (dark jeans and a sweater - very common at work places in the Bay Area) to business (suit & tie). Might have depended on the person's level within the company.

In general, this could be a good place to work. It's in a growth industry, owned by a huge company (stability), great location (downtown SF), easy commute, apparently semi-relaxed dress code, a nice office space, and people seem to like working there. They seem nice enough, though a bit overworked, but that's not uncommon in today's corporate world.

The main drawbacks to me were the internal organization (org chart), the lack of experience of colleagues/ management in the field they were working in (logistics/ distribution), and the lack of dental benefits. These concerns may or may not be an issue depending on a potential employee's needs, the department they would be working in, and their salary.

I was not offered this position. I was told I would hear from them within a week or two, but after about a month I emailed the HR person I did the phone interview with, and she told me they had decided to go with "another candidate". I had already assumed they weren't interested... I just like to hold people to their word! I have since seen that position advertised again, but not for a while now, so maybe they finally filled it. If I was offered this position, I would most likely accept.

Interview Questions
    • Outline your work history and your professional growth to date. Discuss your achievements and challenges at each company.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Suntech Power

Worked for Suntech Power? Contribute to the Community!