Superdrug Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.7

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Superdrug.

Interview

Absolutely ridiculous. The whole thing was unorganised. I couldn't make the original interview they gave me, and it took about 4 phone calls (from me to them) to finally re arrange it. I finally agreed a time and day suitable and turned up to the interview pretty confident, having done research of the company and previous experience in retail.
    The vibe coming from the store manager was extremely negative, like she couldn't be bothered to interview me at all. However, I stayed positive and answered all questions to the best of my ability. I was told I would get a call or email 2 days later - a call if I was successful, or an email if I was unsuccessful.
    It has been around 3/4 weeks since my interview and yet I have absolutely no correspondence. Stay away from this company - very unorganised and extremely rude people.

Head Office - Ecommerce Department Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Superdrug (Croydon, England (UK)).

Interview

Terrible recruitment process. After a short initial telephone interview, I ended up speaking to 3 different people from HR a number of times as they each rang up to reschedule the interview date that the previous person had set. I was extremely unimpressed as they clearly had no communication between each other within the department and it made me seriously doubt whether I would want to work for the company.

I was close to telling them to stuff the interview after they got the date wrong a fourth time, however I decided to go anyway (almost a month after they first rang me!), just to see what the company was like. The offices can be summed up in one word: depressing. Getting there via public transport involves getting a tram from Croydon to Ikea, cutting across the Ikea and B&Q car parks, walking round the back of B&Q and alongside a warehouse.

The interview was your typical interview, a run-through of my experience, some behavioural competency questions, what I thought I could bring to the position. To be honest, by then I had already decided that I didn't want to work for the company. I'm assuming I wasn't successful in the end- unsurprisingly no one from their recruitment department bothered to give me even a quick courtesy call or email to tell me.

Interview Questions

• No unusual questions, the standard 'tell us about a time when you needed a positive outlook in a time of pressure', 'tell us about a time you had to work as a team to complete a task'.   Answer Question

Beauty Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Superdrug (Bromley, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was given a call back for an interview in a weeks time.Most questions were the usual ones: Why do you want this job, why do you think you will be best suited for the job, etc. There were also a lot of question about profit and how sales could be increase. Also, I was given a scenario on paper of someone who shops at Superdrug, I had to pick 3 products I would suggest for her and then explain why I chose those 3.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job, why do you think you will be best suited for the job, etc. There were also a lot of question about profit and how sales could be increase.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Superdrug.

Interview

Only had one interview. Just contained the standard questions such as previous team working experience. They seemed well prepared with respect to working hours, having a timetable presented so we could discuss suitable working hours. I was then monitored acting as a member of staff on the shop floor. Not able to comment on the shop vibe as I didn't make it past the first interview.

Sales Assistant, Christmas Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Superdrug (Northampton, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online on the 14/11/14.
    I received and email on the 18/11 to book an interview date, I booked it for the 20/11. Which is today.
    I went in to the stores and asked a guy that I had an interview. I was lead up to the staff room, waiting about 5minites for the manager to take me to an interview room.

She was polite and really friendly. I'm shy as hell so I was terrified and stumbled on my words a few times. I was asked a list of questions, about 12, I had to give previous work experience, I replied that I'd never had a job but done work experience and currently doing voluntary work at the British heart foundation. Also asked when iv had to meet deadlines and when iv had to show team work.

After these questions she looked at her sheet and said "well I'm happy to take you on, can you come in on Saturday 9-1 for an induction?" I was astonished. So I have the job and have my induction Saturday.

It took about half an hour maybe less. It seemed like 15-20minutes but it said it would be half an hour slot. Everyone was friendly and I got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• In 5 words how would you explain your personality?   1 Answer
    • If you was given a product and told to sell it in-store to customers, how would you go about it? How would you approach them?   1 Answer
    • How can the store save money?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Minimum wage.
    (4.44, 5.13 or 6.50) being 20 I get 5.13 an hour.

I got to say what hours I can work (any) and asked what I should wear which is all black, no open shoes or low back shoes incase they slip off.

Always think of at least one question as they like you to think. Also the answers should revolve around them such as "why do you want to work for us" say something like "I want to contribute my experience and skills to the company to help increase profit". Make it sound like you're there to help them, not because you just need a job.

Sales Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Superdrug in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online and completely forgot I applied as it took around 1 month to hear back as they called by phone, and has a short phone-call interview around 10 minutes. I was told a short summery of the role, the contract hours, and was asked as few questions e.g. Like if I am eligible to work in the UK. We arranged an interview for the same week, which was on a Saturday. I was told to bring two forms of identification, i.e. passport and birth certificate, and that was that. I arrived in store on the Saturday, and was directed to the Area manager where an interview was held in the staff room. The whole interview process took around an hour, and I was asked some questions about my personality, and self rating and also questions about shoplifters and what we can do as a store to improve. I was then taken down to the shop floor to introduce and meet other members of staff, I has to find out there names, and what their job role was. Which then proceeded me to my next task where I had to stand at the front door and try to sell shower gels to customers ( a very important task) you must really try. I managed to sell all 5 and the manager was so pleased she lost her trail of thought. I was then told I will hear back within the same day at 2 o'clock.I was also told to photocopy my birth certificate and passport and give my bank details and 2 referee's which i gave academic because I just turned 16. I then done my induction day 4 days later on a Wednesday, and had to watch a few health and safety and customer service DVD's and then fill out a booklet. Afterwards, I went to the shop floor, and started filling and stocking makeup and then was till trained and given hours for that week :)

Interview Questions

• As a store, how could we save money effectively?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Superdrug.

Interview

Saw the advertisement for the job on-line. Good interview, easy to get through. Telephone interview, followed by face - to - face interview. Also asked to do a mystery shop on a store. Initial telephone interview lasted 20 mins approx. And face-to-face interview lasted 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• How was the mystery shop? You didn't want to be critical or give a bad mystery shop on someone that you may work with. I   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was not able to negotiate wage.

Pre-registration Pharmacist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Superdrug.

Interview

* Online application in February - was very basic
    * I was invited to Interview in July which involved a calculations test, a presentation, a one-to-one interview and some group exercises and group presentation.
    * There were only 8 candidates at the interview stage
    * I was then offered the job in August via e-mail

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting questions on offers I had seen in the shop... not exactly related to Pharmacy.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charing Cross, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Superdrug (Charing Cross, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Right from the off-set everything about the interview process was bad, i got a call from the manager of the Charing Cross (London) branch which i missed, any other professional individual would call back later, or even better leave a voicemail, however this manager sent me a poorly worded text asking me to ring back when i did, he was very disorganised in finding my information/CV. On getting to the interview, he kept me waiting over an hour when he specifically told me to come in at a certain time, and simply told one of the other staff members to tell me to look around, eventually he called me down and asked me to sit and wait a while longer.

Interview Questions

• A part of the interview is going onto the shop floor and handing out baskets, i did my best however, he really grilled me on why i chose certain techniques and why i didnt specifically follow rules he asked for (obviously felt quite uncomfortable!)   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coventry, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Superdrug (Coventry, England (UK)) in October 2011.

Interview

I was telephoned one day after handing my CV in to the shop a number of months earlier; I was asked to interview and given absolutely no indication as to the job role etc, I agreed anyway and was given a time and date a few days from then.

I arrived at the interview early, and was seen by the store manager. He seemed friendly but nervous himself and had not even read my CV; so he asked me to tell him about myself. I was only asked around 5 questions, and even though we were chatting in a friendly manner he questioned things that were not his place to. He also made it quite clear that I would not be able to work two jobs if I took a place at his store and made the promise of being able to give me 20 hours a week.

I left the store with a positive feeling, but downhearted at the rate of pay (at the time I was under 21 years old so the pay was £5.08) as I was currently working two jobs at £5.95 each; but I gathered that as I'd be working 20 hours a week I would be able to at least match this pay.

That afternoon I was working; but I received a phone call from the Superdrug store. After my shift I rang the manager back, and I was offered the job. I asked if I would be allowed a day to consider the offer, because I really needed to work out my finances and whether I could actually afford to lose nearly a pound an hour but fit in 20 hours a week with university work. He got quite irate and told me that he couldn't really wait for an answer and that he had another girl he had just phoned who had cried because she hadn't got the job, he told me that yes the pay is low but the benefits are really good and told me some anecdote about his brother. I felt really pressured but also considered that Superdrug might be more stable a job than the two I was then working. I took the job; but when asked when I could start I replied that both employers would expect me to work a couple of weeks notice as we were short staffed in both jobs; I was told this was too long and was asked to start the following week - on the same day I was expected at uni; he did not care. Luckily both of my managers were able to let me go on such short notice but I still missed a day at university. I'm pretty sure most workplaces ask for a months notice...what would he have done then? He also rota'd me in for the next day; when I expressly told him that I would not be able to work that day. I regretted my decision at taking the job and felt so disheartened in my new job that I nearly left after one week.

Luckily this manager has since left the company and I now work at a different store.

Interview Questions

• He asked me why I needed the job if I was at university and finished my studies in a years time? I regard this as a completely different question to "why do want to work for us?", it was definitely, "why do you need this job..." and he questioned at the same time my need for two jobs.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Awful. Please read the hiring and interview process section.