Interview Question

Interview Seattle, WA

Suppose there is a smart phone API that can give you a

person's mood and that there are 100 different moods. There can be varying level of moods, such as happy, very happy, sad, extremely sad, etc. You can also have more than one mood at a time (such as nervous and excited). What app would you create to take advantage of this API?
Answer

Interview Answer

4 Answers

I personally think that this question is flawed and would tell the interviewer as such. this approach is a cool technology doo dad in search of a problem, rather than a problem in search of a solution. The core of product management is understanding "what does the client really need?" and then working with your technical leads to figure out the appropriate technical solution. Good product management does not start with "here some cool bit of technology, how can we use it". Yes, it is good to have knowledge of the cool doo dads out there, but they then get filed into your toolbox as available for future use when required. There is no need to pull out a tool just because you have it available. For a baby with a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

Phaedra Fisher on Nov 29, 2012

Create a weight loss Measurement app with it.

Lucia on Mar 4, 2013

Building on Phaedra's point about "what does the client really need?" I think there is a need here. Many people are not immediately aware of their emotions or what may trigger them. Imagine you had an app that could track your emotions and you could see a readout at the end of an hour, day west, etc. That readout could tell you what your location was when you felt that way (e.g., going to your girlfriend's parent's house makes you anxious and mad). Also, imagine the app allowed you to set up reminders or actions whenever you felt a certain emotion or were heading to a specific place (e.g., you are starting to feel sad, and you could set up a YouTube clip of puppies to cheer you up a bit). Or the app could share your emotions with your significant other (e.g., I'm happy at work on the day I thought I was going to get a raise...my significant other could get a notification and feel the joy with me immediately). Of course, this is Google, so there could be some ads based on how you feel...though that's a bit intrusive. Perhaps you could just throw in an ad when you visit the YouTube clip of the puppies. Finally, imagine the wealth of knowledge Google could build based on geography, demography, etc. How cool would it be to know immediately how happy/sad/anxious/mad people are in a specific location after a specific event (e.g., France's incumbent Prime Minister lost the election and 78% of French users are happy at the exact moment).

Jay on Feb 9, 2014

"What does the client really need" Even I agree, there's a need here. I think a good way would be that when the user is installing/setting it up for the first time, you actually ask him the following questions (a) His favorite food (b) his favorite activity (c) Names of 2/3 emergency contacts I would probably rate his emotions on a scale from Happy to Sad, and maybe from Active to Inactive. Say if the person was super Happy, maybe it's time to suggest him to buy something. If he or she's really sad, and he loves a spiced mocha from starbucks, suggest him to go to the nearest one- might cheer him up. Really happy ==> buy something! Sad ==> have your favorite food or "would you like to hear your fav song?" Really sad=> pull out the list of 3 emergency contacts, would you like to speak to one of them? too nervous==> here's your favorite calvin comic to cheer you up and calm you down Impatient==> I know you are busy, but don't forgot to wish your wife, it's her birthday tomm! I agree with the previous poster that the wealth of information is awesome here. Combine it with any analytics and you have an awesome product. eg. See where people are most happy - best place to open an ice cream shop or an apple store :)

H on Apr 22, 2015

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.