Sur La Table Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews over the phone with the manager. Then I was scheduled for an in person interview. This happened over the course of 3 weeks since our schedules did not sync.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with stress? Have you ever trained anyone and helped them grow to another position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sur La Table

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Fresno, CA).

Interview

Went out to lunch with the DM, and was asked a series of questions about my job focus. He prodded for certain answers, but was very vague about much of the process. After lunch he met with our store manager and they hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why should we consider you for the position?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

The process was very unusual, as I was interviewed on the sales floor, while the MGR was assisting customers. It was rather stressful. The questions were read off of a clipboard.

Interview Questions

• The MGR asked me to sell her something off of the sales floor. Not having knowledge of the item made this challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (New York, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. They are looking for people who can think on their feet. Lot's of questions about what you cook or like to eat. Most questions focussed on managing people and what you would do in certain situations. It's important to demonstrate that you are more than just a task master, and you have aspirations to do more.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite food to cook?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite tool in the kitchen & why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary, Bonus, start date Just be clear up front about your expectations.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Interview

Completed an online application along with submitting resume and cover letter. Got a call from the store manager 3 days later. She did a mini phone interview and scheduled a face to face interview 2 days later. Face to face interview lasted about 45 minutes, most of the questions about past sales performance, management style and what skills I could bring to the company. At the end of the interview I was scheduled for a phone interview with the District Manager the next day. The phone interview lasted about 20 minutes, again focusing on past sales performance and management skills. I was emailed information about a background check and was offered the position 5 days later.

Interview Questions

• If you could buy anything in the store what would you buy? How would you sell it to a customer?   Answer Question
    • What have you done to create a sales focused environment? How to you get associates to be as sales driven?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary offered was more than I expected. Benefits package is great and kicks in quickly. Negotiated starting time based on notice given to previous employer and the needs of the new position.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

I applied and got a call about a week later. I did 2 phone interviews and 2 in person interviews. They asked the basic questions "what would I do in a certain situation" "How have I handled angry/happy customers" They were all very friendly! It took only about 2 weeks total.

Interview Questions

• How would I sell certain item... bake ware, electrics, ect   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didnt have to negotiate the pay was very good in my opinion

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table in March 2012.

Interview

the interview is a DM and a store manager in a room with you asking questions about why you would fit into the culture and what you are passionate about when it comes to working for sur la table

Interview Questions

Negotiation

start time