Sur La Table

44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Coffee Sales Associate Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview and one in-person. the lady was very nice and well spoken. typical "why do you want to work here?" questions. "what are your career goals?" and they wanted to know how much I knew about the products. it was quick and painless. unfortunately, I couldn't stay working for them. I found out I was pregnant almost immediately after hire and couldn't work for most of my pregnancy. I really liked the people and company though.

Interview Question – none of them were very difficult. if you've ever gone on an interview you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they told me they started everyone out at $8/hr I didn't try to negotiate

Desktop Service Technician Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sur La Table in May 2013.

Interview Details – Ok. So after attending few interview with different companies for finding the right job, I got some offer letters and some rejections. Thats the part of job hunting process. But with this company there was something that i did not forget. The HQ headquarters was great. Looked very nice and neat. I really loved it. But people, not so much. I thought they were very unfriendly and unprofessional. I already had two offers even before I attended the sur la table interview. But I hate to miss interviews, because you never know whats the treasure hidden.

first the manager interviewed me. She was nice but very new to interviewing people as this was her "first" time. She had no clue what to ask. So two other people walked in and were helping her out with the questions. But overall I thought it was very unprofessional. The thing i hated the most was being negative about this position. I would like t think that I want to grow in a company, but she right off the back told me that there is zero promotion growth. As a matter of fact some body had left that position after working 7 years because he never got promoted.

After 45 minutes of this questionnaire. The HR manager walked in. I really thought she was very neat and professional. She exactly the questions that HR should ask.

After another 45 minutes comes the IT director. The way he started the conversation, he portrayed as if he is doing me some kind of favor. He said that my resume looks very exaggerated and even some of his guys will feel inferior if they look at this paper. Of course I have a master's in IT and 6 years of experience what do they expect?

Anyways Overall I feel I shouldn't have even wasted my time considering I had to make decisions on the offers that I have. I think this company is more towards cooking and not for an IT professionals.

Interview Question – When was the the time you failed?
Why did you want to work for this company. (All standard interview questions.)
  Answer Question

Flag Interview

Sur La Table Director, Talent Management responded to this review

May 23, 2013

We appreciate your meeting with us and know seeking a new job can be time-consuming. We are sorry your expectations were not met. Your feedback has been shared with our interviewers and we wish you ... More

Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at Sur La Table in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online, got called for a phone interview within next 2 days and scheduled for an in-person interview in 2 days. Said they'd call back in 24 hours to meet the Manager but I never did hear from them again. It's been 10 days.

Interview Question – Usual sales floor customer service questions. Was asked to try to sell the interviewer something from the store.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very simple interview process. Friendly manager. Asked about past experience in retail, culinary experience or interest, availability and if I meet the requirements listed for the position.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview Details – I was hired as seasonal help. I was not interviewed in an office, but in a public space, which was a bit awkward. The interviewer was very kind and made me feel very comfortable. They asked a lot of typical questions, like what I liked and didn't like about my previous jobs, and how I handled difficult customers. The questions were typical and reasonable. The interviewer talked a lot about how much they liked the company and the store in particular as well as about opportunities for advancement.

Interview Question – The questions were really very predictable. I can't remember any one standing out or taking me by surprise. Go to any website that lists typical interview questions and the ones I was asked will be there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was apologetically given a firm, non-negotiable offer of just under $10 per hour, with the promise of an increase if I were kept on after the holiday.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview Details – Applied online. Assistant manager called within days for a phone interview. Scheduled an in-store interview. Average sales associate questions. Likes and dislikes about former job. Strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – What is an obstacle that you have had to overcome and how did you overcome that obstacle?   View Answer

Aventura, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Interview Details – Asked me very basic questions, if I liked to cook, if i was willing to climb ladders, if I had retail experience. About 7 minutes long.

Interview Question – Nothing was very unexpected, very basic questions.   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in October 2011.

Interview Details – One phone Interview and 2 one on one interviews

Interview Question – There were really no questions that were difficult. However, I would suggest going to their website and seeing what brands are available through the store and familiarizing yourself with them   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate higher than I was expecting

Very Easy Interview

Payroll Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Sur La Table in December 2008.

Interview Details – Went to the interview for a payroll position. During the interview the person kept asking me about how to do accounting processes. After about 20 minutes of this I said I was curious as to why they kept asking me about accounting processes and if that was a big part of the payroll job. She turned her head sideways and said "Oh we already hired someone for the payroll job, I thought you might want the accounting position we have open." I was shocked. Why call me in for a job I applied for and offer me something totally different? What a nutty HR department.

Interview Question – Not applicable as I did not want the accounting job   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not want the accounting job. I applied for payroll

Web Content Related Job Interview

South Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview Details – Interviewed with four employees. Thought I clicked with at least one of them. The third and forth interviews took place in a dark, windowless part of their offices. I couldn't help but think "Oh my god! If I get this job, I'll never see the sun all day." I've worked in windowless offices before but there was something particularly unnatural about this set up. I was very favorably impressed with the recruiting gal who called me about a week or so after my interviews to tell me they would need more time to reach a decision but I was still in running and then called me again about a week later to tell me I didn't get the job. I have interviewed at places where they didn't bother with any follow up.

Interview Question – What do you offer that your competition does not?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sur La Table