Sur La Table Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014

2.1

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table.

Pleasant. i went in for two interviews with different managers. both were very nice.it was not hard to attain the job with my product and culinary knowledge.

Interview Questions
  • "Would you be willing to relocate for this position?"   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sur La Table

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table in October 2013.

1 phone interview and than one face to face. Mostly questions on sales experience and customer service. No cooking required, no interest in cooking no prior experience with selling cookware

no negotiations

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sur La Table.

Walk-in application. I initially spoke with the assistant manager, who arranged for me to interview with the store manager. They were especially interested in my bi-lingual skills. The interview process was very casual and involved typical questions (how deal with difficulties with co-workers/clients...)

Interview Questions
    • Questions definitely trended towards expressed interest in cooking/culinary (do you like to cook? etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sur La Table in August 2013.

I applied online in August 2013 and received a call asking if I was still interested in the job a couple days later. I went in the next day for an interview. The "interview" took place in the middle of the store and took about 10 minutes. The hiring manager asked if I would be able to go to orientation on Tuesday (my interview was on a Thursday). I said yes, and he said he would rush through the paperwork to get my background check done. He said I would recieve any email to authorize the background check. Once I authorized that, I didn't hear anything else, so I called on Monday and he said to come to orientation the following day to fill out paperwork which would take about 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, in fact there were hardly any at all that would you expect. They seemed desperate for workers. They only thing he asked was if I liked pastry/dessert or savory cooking better.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating. They started me at 8.50 per hour and it seemed like they assumed you would just be working for the employee discount which is 40%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table in March 2013.

Usually do 1 interview, but you're interviewed by 2 people (at least I was). They ask about availability. One question I remember them asking is what a good example of customer service was and how would you make an upset customer happy.

Interview Questions
    • The customer service question through me off a little bit and it took me a little while to actually come up with an answer.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate because they were already paying me a dollar more an hour than my other job.

My application process was only so long because they were unsure about hiring me due to me being unavailable the week before they opened the store, but the date got pushed back and they hired me!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Sur La Table in March 2013.

Submitted application online, got called for a phone interview within next 2 days and scheduled for an in-person interview in 2 days. Said they'd call back in 24 hours to meet the Manager but I never did hear from them again. It's been 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • Usual sales floor customer service questions. Was asked to try to sell the interviewer something from the store.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table in October 2012.

I was hired as seasonal help. I was not interviewed in an office, but in a public space, which was a bit awkward. The interviewer was very kind and made me feel very comfortable. They asked a lot of typical questions, like what I liked and didn't like about my previous jobs, and how I handled difficult customers. The questions were typical and reasonable. The interviewer talked a lot about how much they liked the company and the store in particular as well as about opportunities for advancement.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were really very predictable. I can't remember any one standing out or taking me by surprise. Go to any website that lists typical interview questions and the ones I was asked will be there.   Answer Question
    I was apologetically given a firm, non-negotiable offer of just under $10 per hour, with the promise of an increase if I were kept on after the holiday.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Phone screening interview. The conversation was pleasant and friendly, and it was stated up front that its purpose was to confirm our mutual expectations. I learned that there were caps on wages and hours ($10/hour, 16 hours week, 4 hour shifts), that they wanted to be able to schedule my shifts as convenient for them, and call me anytime to fill-in as needed, and that there was virtually no possibility for change. After thinking it over, and reading the other reviews on this website, I decided this was not the right fit for me, and cancelled the in-person follow-up interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aventura, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Asked me very basic questions, if I liked to cook, if i was willing to climb ladders, if I had retail experience. About 7 minutes long.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table in January 2012.

Very simple interview process. Friendly manager. Asked about past experience in retail, culinary experience or interest, availability and if I meet the requirements listed for the position.