Sur La Table

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in October 2013.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview and than one face to face. Mostly questions on sales experience and customer service. No cooking required, no interest in cooking no prior experience with selling cookware

Interview Question – Give example of customer service problem you solved   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview Details – Pleasant. i went in for two interviews with different managers. both were very nice.it was not hard to attain the job with my product and culinary knowledge.

Interview Question – "Would you be willing to relocate for this position?"   View Answer

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in March 2013.

Interview Details – Usually do 1 interview, but you're interviewed by 2 people (at least I was). They ask about availability. One question I remember them asking is what a good example of customer service was and how would you make an upset customer happy.

Interview Question – The customer service question through me off a little bit and it took me a little while to actually come up with an answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because they were already paying me a dollar more an hour than my other job.

My application process was only so long because they were unsure about hiring me due to me being unavailable the week before they opened the store, but the date got pushed back and they hired me!

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sur La Table in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August 2013 and received a call asking if I was still interested in the job a couple days later. I went in the next day for an interview. The "interview" took place in the middle of the store and took about 10 minutes. The hiring manager asked if I would be able to go to orientation on Tuesday (my interview was on a Thursday). I said yes, and he said he would rush through the paperwork to get my background check done. He said I would recieve any email to authorize the background check. Once I authorized that, I didn't hear anything else, so I called on Monday and he said to come to orientation the following day to fill out paperwork which would take about 2 hours.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, in fact there were hardly any at all that would you expect. They seemed desperate for workers. They only thing he asked was if I liked pastry/dessert or savory cooking better.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating. They started me at 8.50 per hour and it seemed like they assumed you would just be working for the employee discount which is 40%.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview Details – Walk-in application. I initially spoke with the assistant manager, who arranged for me to interview with the store manager. They were especially interested in my bi-lingual skills. The interview process was very casual and involved typical questions (how deal with difficulties with co-workers/clients...)

Interview Question – Questions definitely trended towards expressed interest in cooking/culinary (do you like to cook? etc)   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sur La Table in June 2009.

Interview Details – My interview process was very different from what it is today. I walked in, dropped off my app and resume, was called by the manager that day, went in for an interview the next, we chatted on the floor, and I was working a few days later. Now it takes a lot longer because it is all done online and there are a lot more apps to go through due to the fact that folks can just pop themselves into our hiring process through sites like Indeed.com! There is a phone interview, two in-persons, and a background check now, with an at least two-week wait time between putting in your app and starting work.

Interview Question – When I started: what would you buy with a $500 gift card, because I'd only been in the store once before! Currently we have some weird ones that are supposed to test your judgement and creativity and experience...they're all odd!   Answer Question

Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at Sur La Table in March 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted application online, got called for a phone interview within next 2 days and scheduled for an in-person interview in 2 days. Said they'd call back in 24 hours to meet the Manager but I never did hear from them again. It's been 10 days.

Interview Question – Usual sales floor customer service questions. Was asked to try to sell the interviewer something from the store.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very simple interview process. Friendly manager. Asked about past experience in retail, culinary experience or interest, availability and if I meet the requirements listed for the position.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sur La Table in October 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired as seasonal help. I was not interviewed in an office, but in a public space, which was a bit awkward. The interviewer was very kind and made me feel very comfortable. They asked a lot of typical questions, like what I liked and didn't like about my previous jobs, and how I handled difficult customers. The questions were typical and reasonable. The interviewer talked a lot about how much they liked the company and the store in particular as well as about opportunities for advancement.

Interview Question – The questions were really very predictable. I can't remember any one standing out or taking me by surprise. Go to any website that lists typical interview questions and the ones I was asked will be there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was apologetically given a firm, non-negotiable offer of just under $10 per hour, with the promise of an increase if I were kept on after the holiday.

Aventura, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Interview Details – Asked me very basic questions, if I liked to cook, if i was willing to climb ladders, if I had retail experience. About 7 minutes long.

Interview Question – Nothing was very unexpected, very basic questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!