Sur La Table

2.4

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sur La Table in September 2014.

Panel style over 4 hours. Met with 9 people (1:1 and 1:2) for 30-45 minutes each, back-to-back. Primary challenge was scheduling a bio break.

Met with functional team managers across retail & tech groups. Most questions were situational "in this scenario, what would you do?"

Interview Questions
    • If you had a team member who was not meeting his/her commitments, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle stakeholders competing for priority/resources?   Answer Question
    • What type of methodologies have you used? Do you prefer waterfall or Agile and why?   Answer Question

Differences in current benefits could not be mitigated, however, I enjoyed the experience. I was treated with interest and respect.

Desktop Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sur La Table in May 2013.

Ok. So after attending few interview with different companies for finding the right job, I got some offer letters and some rejections. Thats the part of job hunting process. But with this company there was something that i did not forget. The HQ headquarters was great. Looked very nice and neat. I really loved it. But people, not so much. I thought they were very unfriendly and unprofessional. I already had two offers even before I attended the sur la table interview. But I hate to miss interviews, because you never know whats the treasure hidden.

first the manager interviewed me. She was nice but very new to interviewing people as this was her "first" time. She had no clue what to ask. So two other people walked in and were helping her out with the questions. But overall I thought it was very unprofessional. The thing i hated the most was being negative about this position. I would like t think that I want to grow in a company, but she right off the back told me that there is zero promotion growth. As a matter of fact some body had left that position after working 7 years because he never got promoted.

After 45 minutes of this questionnaire. The HR manager walked in. I really thought she was very neat and professional. She exactly the questions that HR should ask.

After another 45 minutes comes the IT director. The way he started the conversation, he portrayed as if he is doing me some kind of favor. He said that my resume looks very exaggerated and even some of his guys will feel inferior if they look at this paper. Of course I have a master's in IT and 6 years of experience what do they expect?

Anyways Overall I feel I shouldn't have even wasted my time considering I had to make decisions on the offers that I have. I think this company is more towards cooking and not for an IT professionals.

Interview Questions
    • When was the the time you failed?
      Why did you want to work for this company. (All standard interview questions.)

Answer Question

Sur La Table Response

May 23, 2013Director, Talent Management

We appreciate your meeting with us and know seeking a new job can be time-consuming. We are sorry your expectations were not met. Your feedback has been shared with our interviewers and we wish you ... More

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Sur La Table in September 2012.

Phone screening interview. The conversation was pleasant and friendly, and it was stated up front that its purpose was to confirm our mutual expectations. I learned that there were caps on wages and hours ($10/hour, 16 hours week, 4 hour shifts), that they wanted to be able to schedule my shifts as convenient for them, and call me anytime to fill-in as needed, and that there was virtually no possibility for change. After thinking it over, and reading the other reviews on this website, I decided this was not the right fit for me, and cancelled the in-person follow-up interview.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sur La Table in May 2010.

My interview experience was lengthy. It began with a conversation with the DM, who was super friendly and engaging.
    Step two was a three part interview with the HR Manager, VP of Stores and the the VP of HR. That was more chat with a lot of great people who were fun to talk to. The afternoon ended with a commitment that I would hear from them by the following Monday.
    I was pretty excited about this opportunity, so when Monday came and went, then Tuesday, Wednesday and finally Thursday...I sent an email asking if there were outstanding questions that I could answer for them to get them to the point where they knew as well as I that I met the job criteria. That email created a bit of a scramble for the interviewers because apparently I was the candidate of choice but no one had communicated that to me.
    However, the act of reaching out to the interviewers created interview number three, where I was basically blamed for the interviewers failure to follow through on their commitment to me. It was couched as concern that I would burn out, which I sufficiently defended, earning a job that I stayed at for almost 5 years.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had to performance manage a poor performing manager, what was the out come?   Answer Question
    They offered what I was asking.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sur La Table in June 2009.

Recruiter contacted me for a phone screen with another recruiter. That recruiter was very nice on the phone and said he had a laid-back interview technique. He wanted to look through my resume and ask questions as they occurred to him. He asked what exactly I was doing at my current job. He asked where I've worked the longest. He was very nice about it but got the idea across that one might worry I was a job-hopper (who isn't switching jobs a lot these days? Particularly if you contract a lot as I do). I explained why jobs ended (layoffs, contract end dates, etc) and he was satisfied by that. The he asked about my salary expectations and when I told him, he said he needed to look up the numbers because they had a very specific headcount. Turns out the pay for the position was going to be $52k, much lower than I was seeking. He said if I'd said I wanted $54k he'd have brought me in for an interview for sure.

Interview Questions

The pay was only $52-54k per year.

Payroll Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sur La Table in December 2008.

Went to the interview for a payroll position. During the interview the person kept asking me about how to do accounting processes. After about 20 minutes of this I said I was curious as to why they kept asking me about accounting processes and if that was a big part of the payroll job. She turned her head sideways and said "Oh we already hired someone for the payroll job, I thought you might want the accounting position we have open." I was shocked. Why call me in for a job I applied for and offer me something totally different? What a nutty HR department.

Interview Questions

I did not want the accounting job. I applied for payroll