Surgical Information Systems Interview Questions in Alpharetta, GA

Updated Jul 7, 2015

2.8

Information Technology Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume via job opening posting. Got email response from HR Manager to setup a phone screen interview. Had the phone screen interview, which seems to go well. At the end of the interview the HR Manager said she had a meeting that week with the CFO to set the timeline for the next phase of interviews and would get back to me. After two weeks of not hearing back, sent email to HR Manager asking about status and got no response. A month later and still no response, so I assume they are no longer interested. I find it rude of the company to take up my time for even a phone interview and not even take the ten seconds it would take to send a form rejection email. It seems even the most basic of manners is lacking at this company.

Interview Questions

• Questions about IT background and experience.   1 Answer

Interface Specialist/Report Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

1) Contacted my corporate recruiter that they were interested in my skills and experience based on my resume submitted to them online. 2) Scheduled for and took a two part IQ/Personality test. 3) Next had three phone interviews with corporate recruiter, an SIS interface specialist and then a hiring manager. 4) Was then flown to Atlanta for a 2.5 hr, 5 person serial interview at their corporate office in Alpharetta. All interviews were deceivingly (now I see) positive. They don't really ask a lot of technical questions other than a bit of clarifying what's on your resume. During the face-to-face interviews, you get the feeling that they are really not sure what they want in the candidate. They seem to be more assessing your ability to fit in rather than appreciating your experience and skills. Check the LinkedIn profiles of the people with whom you're scheduled to speak. They are either young "worker bees" or managers from military backgrounds (one Navy vet and the other a West Point grad). Although I respect and appreciate their military service, I get the distinct impression that they want "Yes Sir"/"No Sir" employees who will do what they're told, not rock the boat, and above all, not threaten their positions. That works with a military hierarchy but signals death throws in a company whose mission should be to innovate and excel in a constantly changing healthcare environment. On a positive note, the corporate recruiter is very good about keeping you informed during the process. She's also extremely nice. My advice is as follows: If you're an intelligent new college grad who wants to learn and start a career, SIS may be excellent. But, if you are an experienced, creative, innovative individual who wants a truly collegial place to work ... Apply elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Remember this (you'll know when you need it)...   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA).

Interview

Rigorous process including extensive intelligence test, second verification of intelligence test, several in-person interviews, a written assessment of writing style, and the preparation and presentation of two presentations.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty standard; I was very candid about my prior history, goals, ambitions, etc...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were fairly limited; I asked for a few concessions and was met in the middle on one, declined my request for additional compensation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

I met an SIS recruiter through my university's career fair. Within the week the recruiter followed up with me by email and had me take an online personality and aptitude assessment. Within a day or two of taking the assessment I was contacted by the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview with the recruiter was somewhat technical. The recruiter asked about projects I had worked on in college and what technologies I had experience with. He also requested a link to my GitHub account to forward to the hiring manager. I was then scheduled for an on site interview about a week later. The on site interview lasted about an hour and I met with one of the managers. I wasn't asked to write any code but I was asked to design the class structure of a GUI calculator on a whiteboard. I was also asked how I would solve a Rubik's Cube, which caught me off guard because I had no idea how to solve one or even how to go about solving one. I highly suspect my less than stellar attempt at a response to this question is why I wasn't asked back for the next round. This was also my first ever technical interview so I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I received a rejection email from the recruiter about a week later.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a Rubik's Cube? What sort of class structure would you design around a GUI calculator?   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in September 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter and he said that I had the background that he was looking for. Before he would even send me the job description, however, I was to take an "online assessment." Fine, so on a Friday night, it took a little over 2 hours to complete a mixture of IQ and Meyers-Briggs test. On Monday, he called me right away, telling me that I had made his morning. After a brief discussion of next steps for interviewing, he asked me what I was currently making. When I told him this, he said "Oh, well, that's more than what your manager would make..." It would have been great to know that I wasn't a salary fit BEFORE I took a 2-hour IQ test. My guess is that if they are giving every candidate an online assessment, that is where the dollars for competitive salary are going.

Interview Questions

• Questions were standard. Make sure you understand salary limitations BEFORE taking the online assessment.   Answer Question

Software Engineer (C#), Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in August 2012.

Interview

I had previously interviewed with this company more than two years ago, I am a senior software developer with 20+ years experience and their job openings did not match my experience at the time. I received an unsolicited email from them a few weeks ago which their recruiter said they now had a senior lead position that closely matched my experience. I started their interview process with initially completing a two phase online exam for determining my experience, personality evaluation, etc that others have detailed here. Before starting any of this process, I told their recruiter what my salary requirements were as I am a senior developer and currently employed, intimately know C# and multiple other languages, management experience, and have nothing detrimental in my background as I have been previously cleared to visit Camp David on multiple occasions for work on a telecommunication system there, and I now had over 5 years developing medical device software. Next was the phone interview with questions about general programming and some very detailed questions about OOP which I am very expert. To the SIS interviewers credit, he was very knowledgeable about software development and from my interaction with him, I knew that he really knew the subject. After two weeks, I received a thanks but no thanks email from them - at least they had the dignity to follow up. I suspect that my salary was the problem all along despite me telling him at the very beginning. What a total waste of time. I will never respond to anything from them in the future! On top of this, their email system is so buggy that all my email replies to the recruiter during this process were rejected as undeliverable even though the recruiter insisted that it was valid. I was replying with a yahoo email address - no problems with anyone else other than SIS. My recommendation for anyone considering a position there is to not waste your time with this company!

Interview Questions

• Some very detailed OOP questions - know the subject if you are going to do a phone interview with SIS.   Answer Question

Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in May 2011.

Interview

Quick response to resume consisting of a long IQ/Personality test. Called in for a face-to-face interview, and retook parts of the test, and HR ran through my resume with questions. Called in for second interview with manager. HR called after the interview and notified me I was being turned down a skill I was missing. Some observations...a lot of young faces, some look like high school kids, not a soul over 35 save for a passing VP. Manager went cold when expressing interest in advancement opportunities. Browsing through LinkedIn shows they might have an unofficial 10 year time-limit, so the manager types aren't going to want to hire people interested in replacing them. HR was very friendly and professional, and the interview process, while quite involved, was fun and not stressful.

Interview Questions

• Under what circumstances did your last employment end?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a conflict at work, and what you did to resolve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe your Oracle experience.   1 Answer
    • What salary range are you expecting?   1 Answer

Director of Regulatory Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in April 2011.

Interview

Very detailed hiring process. Phone screen from HR, then an on-line personality skills test, then the same test had to be taken in the office to verify your on-line results, then another appointment to come to the office to meet the HR lead and do an actual interview. Once that was completed, then there were 2 additional occassions to come to the office to meet significant leadership personnel - after all - this position was very high profile for the company as the MDDS was put into place by FDA. All Senior level managers were very thorough in the interview process. The next step was speaking to the consultant that was currently performing the duties of the position, and it appeared to me that the consultant was not too happy with the prospect that their company would soon be losing the revenue as SIS was to hire a full timer in the position.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect of the process was the continuous interviewing and trips to the office for several rounds of discussions. The feedback was very prompt however.   Answer Question

Client Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in December 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by HR to come in and take an IQ test which took 3-4 hours. I was called back the next day to setup in-person interviews the following week. I had 4 one-on-one interviews. I got an offer the next few days. They did a background and credit check.

Interview Questions

• Could you describe a situation where you encountered a conflict with another employee? What did you do to resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really negotiable. They already gave you an idea of what the salary range will be. So if you ask for anything within their requirements hey basically gave you what you asked.

Systems Integration Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Surgical Information Systems (Alpharetta, GA) in May 2009.

Interview

SIS is VERY good at following up and keeping in touch with the candidates. They're not a company that sits around and waits for the candidate to be the pushy one. If they like you, they will show initiative, which is a BIG part of why I liked the interview process. The recruiter was extremely nice, and the people I interviewed with were wonderful Interview process was very fast, especially compared to other companies. I applied to several companies on the same day that I applied to SIS. I had completed the entire interview process AND had an offer in hand before some of the other companies even responded with an email.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when a person in your group/team had an issue, or was unwilling to work with the team. How did you handle and/or resolve the issue?   Answer Question
    • Describe your ideal job in 3 characteristics.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Verbally accepted the salary. Counter-offered with relocation expenses. Corporate recruiter was able to get the approval for the relocation reimbursement and FAR exceeded my expectations!!!!