SurveyMonkey

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

4 separate interview days, with 3 interviews during the on site interview day. The process took 2 months. Interview was about HTML, CSS, Javascript/JQuery, and Python. I took the job and everyone working at SurveyMonkey is awesome, amazing corporate culture.

Interview Questions
    • HTML form/submit with CSS styling, python dictionary stuff, Javascript closure usage, JQuery element referencing   Answer Question

Human Resources/Recruiting Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at SurveyMonkey.

The entire process was rather seamless. I really enjoyed meeting everyone - solid culture, the office is beautiful. The product is well positioned for continued success. Well done SM. There doesn't seem to be much turnover. Strong stock offerings - a lot of the current staff come from top SV companies, and they stay put. Encouraging.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any hard questions - just thoughtful inquiries about my passion and experience.   Answer Question
    Always negotiate.

Customer Engagement Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at SurveyMonkey in October 2014.

Submitted my cv and résumé through their website, and recieved an email requesting a phone interview about a week later. The phone interview consisted of basic customer experience questions and lasted only about 10-15 minutes. About a week later I received another emailing asking if I'd like to come in for an in person interview. This interview consisted of three 30 minute sessions with department leaders, followed by a written exam.

I found the entire experience to be fairly casual, and thought my interactions with the interviewers to be positive across the board. After the written exam, I was told I would find get an email with a decision within a week. However, I never heard back from anyone at SurveyMonkey.

Trust Information Security Officer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at SurveyMonkey in June 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by the recruiter. After some discussion, he recommended a phone interview with one of the key member of the company, but he told me the interviewer is NOT the hiring manager. A recruiting coordinator then contacted me to schedule a call. On the day of the call, the interviewer was a no-show. I found out later that the interviewer was in vacation and out of the country. It is interesting that the coordinator will not know about this when scheduling the call.

A 2nd attempt is made to re-schedule the call. On the day of the call, the interviewer was AGAIN a no-show. The coordinator told me that the interviewer is STILL on vacation.

A 3rd attempt is made and...guess what? No show.

A 4th attempt is made and this time was with a different interviewer. The coordinator asked for my availability and I gave her a range (i.e. between 10 AM to 12 PM). The coordinator never emailed me back to confirm the day and time of the interview. The next day, I got a call from the interviewer (!?). So the coordinator just went ahead and scheduled the call with the interviewer but she never told me when will it be.

This is a very frustrating experience, not to mention disrespectful to potential candidate. I am somehow glad that after the 4th attempt, there was no more communication from the recruiter or the coordinator.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SurveyMonkey in April 2014.

I applied online for Software Engineer Intern position and got reply in late March. They scheduled a first call by HR to discuss my previous project experience and technologies followed by Technical screening. After clearing technical screening, I had to visit SurveyMonkey HQ at Palo Alto for further 3 rounds.
    Three interviews were good, mostly they asked about Data Structures, System design and projects scenarios from my experience.

Interview Questions
    • System design question was kind of difficult as I was not aware of the system they asked about. I asked lot of questions to clear the requirements and then designed it.   Answer Question
    Offer was good, so I didn't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at SurveyMonkey in April 2014.

I applied through their website in early 2014 and I was contacted 3-4 months later. It caught me by surprise. The interviews consisted of 1 phone screen - which wasn't technical. I was then asked to come in for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of 3 back-to-back interviews with engineers.

I was given regular updates by the recruiter and I felt the people I met were quite straightforward and honest.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult. If you keep a habit of coding on a regular basis, your mind will be tuned enough to solve problems.   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at SurveyMonkey.

Phone Screening with basic questions and phone interview with Sales VP. Expected questions like why you want work here, tell me about your experience etc for both interviews. After one week of my second interview I wrote a message to the recruiter to follow up on the process and received an immediately response saying that he was going to check with the hiring manager and would get back to me by the end of the day. I never received a response from the recruiter.

Project Manager - Audience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SurveyMonkey.

I applied online and through email was set up with a screening interview with a person in Palo Alto. She was very nice and was mostly describing the role and asking how my previous work fit into what I'd be doing in the role. From there, I moved to a phone interview with my to-be manager at Audience. He clearly was working during his lunch hour, but there was good chemistry and he mostly wanted to get at my level of experience in client facing roles. After he was satisfied, I was invited in to the Portland office. It is gorgeous and looks to be a young person's paradise... a mini Amazon if you will.

The interview was one of the most interesting I have ever had. It was 5 30 minute 1 on 1 interviews. Some were in person but others were over the phone or via teleconferencing. Though I thought I did well in the interview, I guess I didn't because there was no offer. Shame because the on-boarding process of sending new hires to "boot camp" in california for a few weeks and meeting all the upper management and learning new technology would have been awesome.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at SurveyMonkey in January 2014.

Referred from inside, got a phone interview then followed by another phone interview and 1 other skype interview.
    The first phone interview is somewhat like a personality test. The second one has more technical questions to answer, asked me about the basic data structures. The third one is a 4 person back to back interview, testing mostly manipulating data structures and applying algorithms on them .

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. Just make no mistake on creating basic data structures like queues stacks etc.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at SurveyMonkey in November 2013.

I had a 10-15 mins phone screen. I wasn't sure if the interviewer was in great rush but I heard some background noises from his end. Right after the phone screen, he scheduled an on-site interview. The interview was about 3 hours. When I arrived, I was told that the 1st interviewer worked from home. Then I talked to a QA Engineer. He gave me a few mins to write some code. I was very surprised that he fell asleep while I was writing the code! No kidding! Then I talked to the developer. I was pleased that his willing to share and guide me through out the interview. It's very pleasant to talk with him. The last interviewer was the Director. Well... really disappointed with his manner and felt like I was discriminated verbally as an Asian female! It has been several weeks after the on-site interview. No feedback from them.