Susquehanna International Group, LLP

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.3

Quantitative Research Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP.

Got first round interview after 3 days of submission. Total time is less than 10 minutes. Asked about willingness to relocate, sponsorship, where heard about SIG and why SIG. After a week, I was told that I did not pass the first round. I feel it is wired because the interview was scheduled as 15 minutes.

Quantitative Research Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP.

First round is given by HR, very easy questions like why you choose SIG. Second round is technical, given by the head of quant recruiting team, just a bit behavioral simple probability questions and a bit game theory.

Junior Network Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP.

Applied online on SIG website and later contacted the recruiter through LinkedIn. Got a call the very next day for emailing her. 1st round was basic technical and behavioral. Technical questions included VTP,VLAN, OSI Model basics. Recruiter contacted within 1 week for the next round. She was kind enough to offer me time as I was busy. The next round was purely technical, on phone, taken by 2 members of networking team. Questions included cabling, routing and switching(a little indepth). Recruiter again contacted me in 10 days for the final round of interview at their onsite location in Bala Cynwyd. She got me train tickets in business class. Hotel was not required as I was travelling from DC. They even provide reimbursement for other travel expenses. On the onsite interview date, met with the recruiter and she gave a warm welcome. The first round was with the networking team engineers. They asked questions related to L3 switches, STP, subnetting and redundancies. Read about CCNP switching in depth to answer their questions. Next round was with 2 IT managers. They asked me to design a network and again talked about redundancies. I did not have have knowledge of L3 switches and redundancies in depth. So my interview rounds went bad. The third round was supposed to be with the IT director but was later then cancelled. After the interview the recruiter gave me a tour of their office and called an uber for my way back. Got an email with a rejection within 4 days, which I was already expecting. Overall good company and tough interviews. They expect the CCNP R&S knowledge which is too much to ask for an entry level position.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP in December 2014.

The recruiting process at SIG is pretty polished. Too polished in fact. Recruiter found me, then HR did a one hour phone screen, then on-site interview that lasted about 4 hours. Everything was fairly standard, grim faces, emotionless interviewers. Typical corporate environment in a bland building in the middle of nowhere surrounded by a highway. The insides were very unimpressive. Open floor plans, noisy and cramped.

The free lunch is a joke. Everyone runs into the “kitchen” at a set time, stands in line to get food that is somewhere between high school and the cheapest buffet quality. You get maybe $3 worth of food, and give up your lunch hour. Everyone eats at their desks. Several people that left SIG told me that 10 hours per day is the unspoken minimum. Eight hours work day + 1 hour you work through lunch + 1 hour of work that you are expected to take home. And that's the minimum.

But the icing on the cake was when HR started demanding to see my W2's before salary negations. For a company that likes to play poker, they sure like to play a crooked game! Too many bad vibes.

Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP in December 2014.

First round: Phone behavioral based questions and a probability/skills question. Talk about yourself and your experiences. Then know about SIG and what they trade (futures, options). Stress the culture; casual environment with community events and other benefits; and competitiveness of the company.
    Probability was the circle table and 5 people question. The probability of the 5 people sitting in age order. Could be either way around the table. it is 1/12 I believe but you have to go through the steps.

Second round: Same as the first, just different person.
    Probability/skills was the bridge question with the flashlight. The time it takes 4 people to get across a 2 person bridge, but 1 person must go back because they need the flashlight to cross. Person 1=1min, p2=2min, p3=5min, p4=10min. 17 min is the answer.

Third round: All expense paid interview in Phili. I had to fly, and stayed 3 days. Day 1 I arrived at night, walked around, ate and got a good nights sleep for the interview the next day. The hotel was in center city, so there was a lot to do and its a nice area.
    Day 2-Interview-Started out with a case study. The question was on waiting lines. "Which is more efficient, multiple registers with lines at each or a single line with multiple registers". Answer I thought was single line since the capacity for a single line is always at 100%. I then moved to an interview room with 2 people where we went over the answer briefly and moved into my resume. Then we got into finance which is where I did bad. They asked me about call, put, and overall economic conditions. I'm management and IT so I never got deep into finance. They want you to know VBA since you will work with spreadsheets. The rest of the day was me spending time with other OA's and talking to other people.

I did notice that several times they became distracted during a conversation. Things like answering phones/making calls, or taking to other people. One person made a phone call right behind me and I swear I heard nothing on the other end, suggesting its part of the interview. I didn't mind, just stayed on track and smiled or kept talking to the other person.

That night we went out to dinner. Very nice place, but its casual and you get a chance to open up.
    After you can do whatever you want. I went to Pats/Geno's cheesesteak's. Had to go since it was my first time in Phili (I liked Pats better).

Day 3: Early flight home

Interview Questions
    • 5 people sorted by age around a table probability- 1/12   Answer Question
    • 4 people across a 2 person bridge, 1 person must go back to because you need a flashlight. 1,2,5,10 min per person. 1 goes with 2, 1 back, 5 with 10, 2 back, 1 and 2 finish. 17 total.   View Answer
    • Waiting lines- what is more efficient: multiple lines or single line   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

It starts with a phone screen interview. Just ask background questions along my resume. The campus recruiter also asks some behavioral questions, which is very common. The only technical questions is: what is inheritance, polymorphism, and encapsulation. Not a pressure interview.

Low salary

Assistant Trader Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP.

Was contacted by an on-campus recruiter after a career fair. Had a phone interview with fairly easy probability questions. Recruiter quickly responded telling me I had a second round interview with a trader, which involved similar probability questions which were only a bit more difficult. Again, the recruiter contacted me soon afterwards for a final round on-site.

The final interview itself was surprisingly quick (~30 mins), but the questions were different (a lot of mental math type stuff). The day also included a group interview (with very fun / random questions) and a few rotations observing a trader. A big put off during the final round was the attitude of the interviewers (constantly on their phone, chatting with each other); while I realize this was intentional, I don't see the point. Have yet to hear back, but assuming I'm out (about a week ago); I put declined because I would decline at this point due to other opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • Mental math stuff (not my forte, prefer the probability / stat questions)   Answer Question

Other opportunities / put-off by final interview

Software Developer Interview

2 Phone interviews and onesite interview. The first 2 were pretty easy and then onsite they try and start simple and push you until you don't know how to answer. Goes from easy to hard fast.

Technology Associate Interview

Basic behavior questions. How do you like coding? Why do you want to join SIG? Since I applied for technology positions, they also asked me about "what is inheritance", "what is time complexity to search for a hashmap?"

Interview Questions
    • Among those behavior questions, the most strange one is "how do you like coding". Also, they asked me about GRE score.   Answer Question

Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Susquehanna International Group, LLP.

There's a phone screen, a technical phone interview, and then you finally interview at HQ.

The phone screen is pretty straightforward. They ask about projects, interest in company, etc. Then ends it asking you to explain a data structure

The technical phone interview was also pretty easy. Language specific questions such as which language is faster, manual vs auto memory management, and differences between Java/C++/Python. They asked about some projects I worked on as well. Finally, we we coded a really basic problem relating to a trivial property of an array. You can easily do it in O(n). That took less than 10 minutes. We then went on to talk about the company.

Flying out to Philly was interesting. They put you in a wonderful hotel and talk to you over dinner. The interview begins early in the morning. You're put in a room where you'll have 30 minutes to solve a big data problem given the language of your choice. Next, 2 interviewers discuss your solution with you and then move on to more language-specific questions. After, 2 more interviewers ask data structures/algorithms questions, but those were pretty basic, too. You end the day with a tour of the HQ.

Overall, the interview experience was great, but my first interviewer was awful. The worst person I've ever interviewed with. He would consistently ask niche questions from libraries/packages I've never used and grill me me for not knowing them. His tone was condescending and uninterested. In discussing my solution, he actually had a rather negative comment toward it, but no valuable input on how to improve. His interview alone secured my decision to never apply here again.

Interview Questions
    • The 30 minute coding question was phrased poorly, but not too difficult.   Answer Question