Sutter Health Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

Strategic Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Sacramento, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Very laborious process. They had my resume for about 4 months before they called. Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager. That went well so I was invited for a 1:1 interview. That also went well and I had good rapport with the hiring manager. He asked me to appear for a panel interview which got a bit riduculous. There were 6 people present in the room and three others attended from another office location via teleconference. Nine people...barely enough time for each person to ask one question, and I never knew where the next question was coming from. I felt like I was being vetted for the supreme court. This was for an upper level analytical position; individual contributor...not even a manager or director. I felt it was overkill. Furthermore, I didn't have good rapport with some of the folks in the room. Manager called a few days later and offered me the job. I was surprised...didn't think the panel had gone well, but boss obviously liked me well enough to (perhaps) overrule them. Since no one from the team I would be working with directly was part of the panel, and since I was on the fence (liked the boss but maybe not the larger group) about the position, I asked to be able to meet with the team I'd be working with to help make up my mind. Not sure what the boss told them; again, I had already been offered the job. They put me in another panel with the team (three of them vs. me...and it was "versus") and the team grilled me hard. I wanted to laugh and say, 'you guys know that I've been offered the job and I'm trying to decide, right?' I ended up accepting the offer after making some demands and it worked out fine, although I was right about some of the folks on the panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were asked to present unpopular data/findings; how you did it; what the outcome was; what you would do differently; etc.   Answer Question
    • Assume you are offered and accept this job. Fast forward a year or two...how would you know if you had made a mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I wasn't sure the job was for me (and thus willing to gamble), I asked for a bit more money, some flexibility in schedule and start date. Nothing ridiculous; wasn't playing games. Stuff I asked for was within reason but they could have said no. They didn't. Gave me what I asked for.

RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Sutter Health (San Jose, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

multiple requests for return interviews all of which lasted between 3 and 6 hours without any guidance as to requirements and the software for negotiating the application process took multiple attempts with over 28 hours required for correcting and re correcting mistakes made by the internal computer processing of the application. AT least messages left for help were returned within 48 hours.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Panel Interview; Maybe an hour long. Wide range of questions. A word of advice: check out Sutter's website, as it has a GREAT list of potential interview questions that you can use to mentally prepare yourself for the interview. Clinical scenario question felt intense-- think about your C-ABCDE (etc.) process, and you should be okay. Everyone I spoke to about the interview (who was hired) also thought they interviewed horribly, so don't feel too bad if you walk out feeling like you failed miserably.

Interview Questions

• Scenario with admission that suddenly becomes unstable.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sutter Health.

Interview

Great interview process but long - 2 days in total. They cover all expenses and reimburse everything as well. My husband was able to travel with me for the interviews and expenses were covered for him also. First day: Tour of clinic and several meetings (both group and one-on-one) with internal medicine and Derm dpt. Last interview session is 1 hour and is a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you disagreed with your boss and what you did in that situation. What did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you made a medical error/mistake, what you did, what you learned.   Answer Question

Better alternative options

Housekeeping Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Davis, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Process took about 2 months for the call for an interview. Interviewed with two people manager and Housekeeping lead. Manager was really nice but the lead was really uninterested. Two days later I get a email stating the position was filled. I called the manager she stated they went with someone else. I felt the interview was a waist of time and they knew who they was going to go with before I interviewed.

Project Manager II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sutter Health.

Interview

The process was extremely fast because there was an initiative that needed to start on a specific date. It took two weeks from first interview date to start date. Although there was time constraints the admin was helpful in scheduling time around my availability. Human resources contacted my referrals immediately and upon accepting the offer gave me detailed instructions on next steps.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sutter Health.

Interview

I had 2 panel interviews and a one on one with the hiring director. About 6 people on each panel. It was a long process from the time I applied. About 2 months. Be prepared to answer many questions from all people on the panel. I would say out of all of the places I have interviewed, it wasn't the hardest, but it wasn't the easiest either. They did really pick apart my resume. Mostly to see if it was accurate.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were situational. How I would handle difficult situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR controls the company hiring and has limits on negotiations.

Compliance Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sutter Health in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by the company and asked to interview for an open position; I had an initial phone interview followed up by a panel interview; references were checked and I was offered the position.

Negotiation

Always request more than their payscale

Senior Project Planning Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Sacramento, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

A few days after applying online I received an email requesting a phone screening interview. After the phone interview we scheduled a panel interview for the following week. The panel interviewers consisted of 5 people from the team, i.e., people the candidate would actually work with. The representation were three peers, the director, and the manager (who conducted the phone interview). All of the interviewers were very nice and demeanor was comforting (even when I answered a question incorrectly, they didn't make me feel stupid about it). The office, which is located off Hwy 50, is beautiful and comfortable. I was in the lobby/waiting area for about 20 mins and noticed the people entering and leaving the building. They all looked happy and all greeted the security guard by first name.

Interview Questions

• How do you edit a project plan in MS Project?   1 Answer
    • Name the difference between the three task types: Fixed Duration, Fixed Units, and Fixed Work.   1 Answer
    • Not word for word, but basically describe various scenarios like how you handled conflict between co-workers, someone not pulling their weight, etc.   Answer Question
    • Under what circumstances would you add a date constraint?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Rancho Cordova, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I was called for a phone interview with the hiring manager. My technical skills were explained and he thoroughly enjoyed my background on various items. He informed me that a further one-on-one interview would be necessary with a panel of technical folks. On the day of the one-on-one interview I arrived at the location on time. I was escorted and taken to a conference room where there was a panel of people with various technical expertises from Web Developers, Production Support, Managers and Engineers. Most of the panel were men along with only one female. Various questions were asked from windows IIS servers, Weblogic, Database and Linux/Unix. I felt confident about my answers. At the end of the first round, I was taken to another waiting area and was asked to wait around 15 minutes for them to decide if I made it to the second round. After 15 minutes, the hiring manager came to escort me out of the building, he proceeded to explain that I didn’t qualify for the position because I didn’t have enough Windows 2008 Server experience along with IIS 7 which I found it almost laughable since his staff learned the technology four months before my interview. Usually my experience on Unix/Linux is a demonstration that I can learn just about any operating system but that was not the case here. Windows trumped Unix? When has anyone seen that before? The hiring manager seemed very heart broken that his staff of technical folks didn’t want to proceed with a second interview which lead me to believe that something else was at work. To be told that I was not technical enough because I didn’t know one piece of a technology is a flat out lie and that leads me to believe they were making an excuse. I got the impression that this is a Good O Boys shop. There was only one woman in the interview panel which was a Manager and I didn’t see many women working in the Information Technology building. I’ve never heard of a job that requires people to know exactly every piece of Technology and not be given an opportunity to learn new items on the job.