Sutter Health

Very Difficult Interview

Strategic Planning Interview

Strategic Planning
Sacramento, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Sutter Health in November 2010.

Interview Details – Very laborious process. They had my resume for about 4 months before they called. Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager. That went well so I was invited for a 1:1 interview. That also went well and I had good rapport with the hiring manager. He asked me to appear for a panel interview which got a bit riduculous. There were 6 people present in the room and three others attended from another office location via teleconference. Nine people...barely enough time for each person to ask one question, and I never knew where the next question was coming from. I felt like I was being vetted for the supreme court. This was for an upper level analytical position; individual contributor...not even a manager or director. I felt it was overkill. Furthermore, I didn't have good rapport with some of the folks in the room. Manager called a few days later and offered me the job. I was surprised...didn't think the panel had gone well, but boss obviously liked me well enough to (perhaps) overrule them. Since no one from the team I would be working with directly was part of the panel, and since I was on the fence (liked the boss but maybe not the larger group) about the position, I asked to be able to meet with the team I'd be working with to help make up my mind. Not sure what the boss told them; again, I had already been offered the job. They put me in another panel with the team (three of them vs. me...and it was "versus") and the team grilled me hard. I wanted to laugh and say, 'you guys know that I've been offered the job and I'm trying to decide, right?'

I ended up accepting the offer after making some demands and it worked out fine, although I was right about some of the folks on the panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were asked to present unpopular data/findings; how you did it; what the outcome was; what you would do differently; etc.   Answer Question
  • Assume you are offered and accept this job. Fast forward a year or two...how would you know if you had made a mistake?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I wasn't sure the job was for me (and thus willing to gamble), I asked for a bit more money, some flexibility in schedule and start date. Nothing ridiculous; wasn't playing games. Stuff I asked for was within reason but they could have said no. They didn't. Gave me what I asked for.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Sutter Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sutter Health Strategic Planning interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Sutter Health employees and interview candidates.