1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Systems Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Sutter Health in April 2011.

I was called for a phone interview with the hiring manager. My technical skills were explained and he thoroughly enjoyed my background on various items. He informed me that a further one-on-one interview would be necessary with a panel of technical folks.

On the day of the one-on-one interview I arrived at the location on time. I was escorted and taken to a conference room where there was a panel of people with various technical expertises from Web Developers, Production Support, Managers and Engineers. Most of the panel were men along with only one female. Various questions were asked from windows IIS servers, Weblogic, Database and Linux/Unix. I felt confident about my answers. At the end of the first round, I was taken to another waiting area and was asked to wait around 15 minutes for them to decide if I made it to the second round.

After 15 minutes, the hiring manager came to escort me out of the building, he proceeded to explain that I didn’t qualify for the position because I didn’t have enough Windows 2008 Server experience along with IIS 7 which I found it almost laughable since his staff learned the technology four months before my interview. Usually my experience on Unix/Linux is a demonstration that I can learn just about any operating system but that was not the case here. Windows trumped Unix? When has anyone seen that before? The hiring manager seemed very heart broken that his staff of technical folks didn’t want to proceed with a second interview which lead me to believe that something else was at work. To be told that I was not technical enough because I didn’t know one piece of a technology is a flat out lie and that leads me to believe they were making an excuse.

I got the impression that this is a Good O Boys shop. There was only one woman in the interview panel which was a Manager and I didn’t see many women working in the Information Technology building. I’ve never heard of a job that requires people to know exactly every piece of Technology and not be given an opportunity to learn new items on the job.

Worked for Sutter Health? Contribute to the Community!