Sweetwater Sales Engineer Interview Questions

3.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sweetwater

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Sweetwater.

Interview was long and tedious. There was lots of testing and a interview over lunch. Make sure you are studied up on audio terminology. Make sure to use the glossary on Sweetwater's website as a reference.

Interview Questions
  • 3 Adjectives to explain your personality. Personal motto   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Sweetwater

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Sweetwater.

Phone interview- general information, very relaxed, and a role play to talk about any product Sweetwater carries.

On-Site Interview- Sweetwater paid for our flight to Ft. Wayne and put us up in a local hotel for 2 nights. I met with the VP of Sales for a walk-through of the facility (which was awesome). Then, 2-3 hours of intense computer-based testing consisting of product knowledge, example emails, and general music knowledge. Afterwards, there was an interview done over lunch in the cafe with 2-3 people followed by a phone listening session with an SE on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • How much of your attitude is under your direct control? Not so much difficult, but the answer is so simple it didn't seem right.   View Answer
    I accepted the first offer and we moved here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sweetwater.

First interview was with someone in HR over the phone. The second and third interviews were over the phone with members of sales management. Fourth and final interview was in person with the VP of sales. They flew me in to headquarters in Ft Wayne, IN. This interview included a tour of the facility (during which, I later found out, they were watching to see what questions I asked, how well I paid attention, and if I kept up with the rapid pace of my tour guide), as well as tests over audio technology and a personality test.

Interview Questions
    • What's the best book you've read in the last few months?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sweetwater in August 2013.

I applied online and was contacted by a member of the Human Resources team within 24 hours of my submission. Through email, we set a date and time to have a preliminary phone interview. The phone interview was pleasant with a number of the "standard" preliminary questions - "why would you want to work here", "what qualifications make you uniquely suited for the position", "what is your background in musical equipment"... All in all a very thorough but easy preliminary interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about relocation to their headquarters in Fort Wayne, IN.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Sweetwater in April 2012.

The interview process was definitely a long process. It consisted of three interviews over a 3 or 4 month period. After applying a few days later I was asked to do a phone interview.

This first interview is very basic. I was asked things like "what motivates you to do your best work?" "What are your weaknesses?" "How do you feel about 100% commission" This interview took about 20-35 minutes. I was given a few timed online tests after this interview which consisted of personality tests and some basic math questions.

About a month later I received another email for a follow up interview. They basically went over the questions I had been asked previously, this interview seemed more relaxed and lasted about 40 minutes. The last question I was asked at the end of this interview was "A singer songwriter is thinking about buying a mic for vocals, what kind of mic would you recommend?"

Very shortly I was asked to come to Fort Wayne Indiana to do an all day interview at Sweetwaters headquarters. When I arrived for my interview I was first sent to a room to fill out short answer/multiple choice questions on a computer. (These questions were about audio gear, guitars, etc.) this took about an hour or two. Then I was given a tour of Sweetwater (recording studio, practice rooms, sales rooms, cafeteria, large theater). After that I had a lunch interview at sweetwater. I basically got questions like "how do you keep yourself motivated" "what are your dreams?" and things of that nature. Afterwords I sat in on a sales engineer for about 40 minutes just listening to their calls.

Overall I was at Sweetwater for an 8 hour interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had prepared and studied hard for this interview. If you know your audio, practice interview questions, and sales questions you will do fine.

What things will you do to build up a client base?

How will you respond to this customer email?
        Answer Question
    I was given a contract with details of salary, training, and moving process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sweetwater in November 2009.

Applied online for Sales Engineer. 3 phone interviews, wonderlic personality and IQ test before being invited to an on-site interview. Company flew me in,put me up in a hotel and gave me a rental car. 7-8 hour interview/ tour of the facilities (Incredible). Great people and seems like a great place to work. Interviewed with Sales Manager and HR Manager over lunch, more testing, lots of interaction, listened in on sales calls.

Interview Questions

Relocation to Ft. Wayne proved to be more challenging than it looked at first.

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sweetwater in February 2009.

The hiring process was really easy and painless. The first step was applying on their website. They are clearly looking for people with music technology degrees, but I came across many people from many different backgrounds. Next step was a phone interview. The HR guy called me and told me a little about the job and we did some role playing. He was a customer and I was a Sweetwater Sales Engineer. Wasn't too hard, just to see how comfortable you were. The next step was an all day interview at their location in Fort Wayne. I lived within driving distance so I got there the night before and they paid for a hotel room for me. On the interview day I took some skill tests and a Wonderlic personality test. Then they bought me lunch and I interviewed with the Head of HR and the Sales Vice President. I could tell they were interested in what I had to say and they didn't schedule 15 interviews that day so they wouldn't get burned out. After that, they took me to sit in with one of their employees to see what kind of work they did. He was a super nice guy and told me how much he loved it there. He was good at his job and was rewarded for it with higher commissions. If you don't do the work, your pay will be disappointing, but still fair. After that, a tour of the facility and an offer to stay an additional night at the hotel if the weather was too inclement for me to leave (really bad snow storm that day).

Interview Questions
    • What percentage of you're attitude do you control? It's not a hard question to answer, just not one I had heard before. Hint, there is only 1 right answer.   Answer Question
    An email with a very fair offer for my experience. They also offered to pay my moving expenses with the agreement that they be paid back ONLY if I left before 18 months of employment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Sweetwater in April 2008.

This outlines the process experienced in 2002-2005. They have an extensive computer based questionaire system for new applicants at this time as well as a different process for interviews today..

ONLINE APPLICATION AND RESUME
    Typical online application, work history, etc... You were required to submit a list of hardware and software that you have personal work experience with as well. We were told back then they received upwards to 200 applications a month, so having recording experience, being current with software applications, and experience with equipment they regularly sell was key to getting through to the next step.

PHONE INTERVIEWS
    Once selected, you had a phone interview with the HR director. The phone interview was the standard personality interview, "What motivates you to do your best work?" "What are your strengths and weaknesses" "Tell me a story of your greatest acheivement." "How do you deal with stress?" etc... They also asked you to rate your competencies (examples From 1-10 what is your ProTools knowledge. From 1-10 what is your FOH knowledge. From 1-10 what is your MIDI knowledge etc...) These questions ran the gamut from studio recording to live sound. The phone interview took approximately one hour.

After a few weeks, I was eventually interviewed over the phone by one of the Sales Managers. This was a fairly standard sales experience question and answer. I recall this interview being more conversational and casual. This interview took approximately 20-30 minutes or so.

About a week later I was contacted to schedule a flight for a face-to-face interview in Fort Wayne, IN. They paid for the flight, rental car, and hotel room. They flew me in on a Saturday, interview was on Monday, and return flight was Tuesday morning. In retrospect, I feel they wanted me to check out Ft Wayne so I could check out the city since I would be relocated once hired.

FACE TO FACE INTERVIEWS
    I arrived to Sweetwater at 9:30 to begin the onsite interview. The HR director had me fill out a few standardized tests, like personality and business math tests. Once these were completed, I was taken down to the main sales cubicle area to take product knowledge and application test. You were in the middle of the "sales floor" while taking this test and all you could hear around you was their sales force of 50+ people talking on the phones to their customers. The product knowledge test consisted of industry vocabulary, multiple choice questions, and some short essay answers. I remembering having to write out how to mic a drum set, naming specific mics by type and model. Lastly, there were some sample emails, like "How would reply to this email to get this customer to call you?" and "Please write an email introducing yourself to a new Sweetwater customer." I believe this portion of the test took approximately an hour.

From the testing phase, I was taken out for a face-to-face interview with the VP of Sales and the HR Director. This interview consisted of the standard, "Tell us about yourself and work history." "What is the hardest lesson you've learned" The interview also included some role playing scenarios on handling customers over the phone. At the end of the interview, the VP showed a number of charts to illustrate how much money people potentially make, spiffs, and employee benefits, etc... The lunch interview may have taken 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Once we returned to Sweetwater, I was led to a Sales Engineer's desk to listen in on their phone conversations for about 20 minutes. The purpose of this was to understand the actual work environment and key activities of the job.

Lastly, I had a final face-to-face interview with a Sales Manager, which ended with a tour of the building.

The interview took up almost all day. I believe I left the building at 4:00.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about making 100 cold calls a day? How would you motivate yourself to do this?   Answer Question
    At the time, it appeared that the offer was non-negotiable. New hires are given a set salary for the first four months, which tapers down to 100% commission within the fifth month. The company paid for 100% of my moving expenses providing I fulfilled a contract of 18 months of employment.