Sybase

Sybase Interview Questions

Updated Nov 12, 2014
Updated Nov 12, 2014

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sybase in June 2014.

1 round phone intereview, asked basic c++ questions and some common algorithm questions.

1 onsite interview after 1 week, took about 3 hours and interviewed with three people.

The first person asked your previous work experience and some algorithms. The second person asked some IQ questions and the third one is a manager, told you what you would be doing and asked you what salary you would expect.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sybase.

The hiring process is good, but really difficult. They are clearly looking for systems people and the interview process is highly tuned towards that. people with DB background has a higher chance of getting in. There are close to about 3-4 rounds of interviews. but otherwise the interview process is not that hard

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Sybase in February 2013.

I applied online on SAP website and got called by an HR peson the next day. The person was going on holiday the following week, thus the urgency in calling me. We set an appointment that same day for a 1h interview. The interview went well, the HR was very interested in my profile and raised questions related to the job that matched my skills. He forwarded my CV to a colleague in CZ to set-up a face-to-face interview in their london offices. 10 days go by, I hear nothing about the interview and get no reply from the person in CZ, so I email my first contact asking if he was already back from holidays blabla. he emails me back the same day and sets a face-to-face interview 2 days later. I was very interested in the position and didn't mind them being this unorganized (at the time).
    I go to London, to Sybase offices by Monument, where I have an interview with a team-member. I get from the person the feeling they've not read my CV, or they just had a look at it on their way from home. I wasn't asked any questions matching my skills with the jobs specifications. Instead, I had the usual boring interview questions (strenght/weaknesses, describe your career..) the interview was very short, and felt my phone interview with the HR person made more sense to me than this one. Anyway, the person didn't really seem to understand what skills the position required and didn't ask the right questions. Anyway, I understand from him that he is going on holiday the following week, and therefore I should be hearing from them within 2 weeks. 15 days later, no reply, I send and email to the HR guy (as I didn't ahve the email of the 2nd person) no reply, 15 moe days later I send a second email to the HR guy (no reply).. I check on SAP website, it still states I'm in the process (it states rejected when the candidate is).. 1 week later I call the guy, he picks up the phone, no sorry no nothing, just a simple you were not selected and we went for a person that matched the position better blabla, and he tells me he is going to call me to give me more feedback. I've never heard of him again and didn't really search to. I went as well on SAP website and withdrew my application (so now it doesn't state I was rejected, but rather that I just withdraw my candidacy)
    This was the worst interview experience I've ever had, especially that I had to ask my current manager for days off at the very last minute to be there for their interviews and had to wait and expect an answer when in fact the people just didn't care enough to even send a generic email

Interview Questions
    • To be fair, I didn't have any challenging question. During the phone interviw it was more about my language skills and my background. and in the face-to-face interview the most challenging one would be "strenghts and weaknesses"   Answer Question

Software Developer, Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sybase.

I applied through my school's recruitment process and was selected for an onsite interview. The interview was 45 minutes long and consisted of basic Java-related questions.

Interview Questions
    • A few java libraries I did not know, which was not a huge issue.   Answer Question
    It was my first co-op work term, so once I got the offer I accepted it.

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview: some background, relavent projects
    on-site: datastructure, and algorithm questions

Software Engineer Interview

process is good. final decision will be done by onsite.

Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Sybase in August 2010.

2 round technical interviews done through phone

I was contractor at that time

Engineering Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sybase in April 2010.

In was interviewed by two persons separately for half an hour each. First person asked about my resume, my school projects, general linux based questions like GREP, cron job, other commands. Then he asked me java technical questions. If you worked in java, then you would definitely be able to answer them. He asked me to write some sample code for string related interview questions.
    Second interview was very much non technical, she asked me more behavioural questions like how would i perform during stressful situation, what was my most challenging project and why? what was my previous company projects, etc..

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sybase in September 2009.

The interview process was very thorough and detailed. I spoke with 4 people, with long interviews and competencies-based questions.
    Before the interview, I was sent an itinerary an name and job title of the people that were going to interview me. All in all, I felt I had all the info I needed at that stage.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot of examples on the kind of clients I had worked for in my past experiences. They were mainly interested in someone coming from a similar industry. Also, an additional language was a requirement so part of the interview process was in that language. Not difficult, but wuite a thorough check.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sybase in July 2009.

I had a phone interview with one of the developers. He was easy to talk to and helped me work my way through problems. He asked database questions (inner vs outer join etc) as well as language questions (how C++ templates worked) as well as basic interview questions such as OOP and whatnot.

Got a phone call a week later saying my lack of experience ruled me out as a candidate