Sylvan Learning Centers

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Education Interview

Director of Education

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview Details – I've been interviewed and I also interview employees. I recommend submitting an application via the website (careers button) and attach a resume. This gets e-mailed to the center you choose. Don't stop there!!! I recommend you follow up with a phone call or drop by the center with a hard copy of your resume (again). I get a lot of applications but will interview a walk-in on the spot if I'm available or schedule one over the phone if they call and I'm hiring and get a good vibe. You may be hired on the spot or wait for a call back (depending on how many others are interviewing and if you're a good candidate). My promotion process to DE included a personality survey online, a meeting with the business consultant from the corporate office, and then with the Director of the center I'd be working with. They called me later that afternoon after they discussed me together to offer me the position. You may meet with both directors or just one depending on the structure of the center. Questions for teachers involve organization skills, ability to adapt and be flexible, teaching experience, behavior management, etc. If being hired for a specific subject, like math, you may be required to take a skills assessment in that subject area to show you have the ability to teach it.

Interview Question – Most difficult question asked was about a situation where I didn't get along with a co-worker. I had to describe the situation, points of view, what I did well, and what I could have done better.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't any negotiation. In the interview I was asked about expected salary. I had already done the math and knew it wouldn't benefit me at all if I made less than a certain amount so I said no less than that number and I they gave it to me. I later found out it was more than 2 other DEs hired before me and on par with 1 other hired the same time at other centers by the same people.

Verona, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in June 2013.

Interview Details – Bring resume in and take test for whatever subject area you desire to teach. Once that is complete need to talk to branch owner about base pay rate. I negotiated based on my experience and what I though was fair. She wanted a little less, and we met in the middle. Overall, very easy process.

Interview Question – What difference will you make at Sylvan?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated my pay up

Center Director Interview

Center Director
Greensburg, PA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in June 2010.

Interview Details – In-person interview. Standard Question and Answer. Many questions and discussion about education and topics concerning current laws, initiatives, etc. Be prepared. Sylvan Centers are franchised and many owners are former school district superintendents, teachers, business executives. It is a fairly formal, traditional interview, usually with just the owner. Business or a dressier business casual attire would be appropriate.

Interview Question – Questions about the details of education legislation.   View Answer

Tutor Interview

Tutor
Long Barn, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2010.

Interview Details – 1 interview, pretty simple
very few questions about how I would managed a table of 3 different aged students
didn't specify how many hours I would get just said part time, anticipated receiving more

Interview Question – no difficult or unexpected questions were asked   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations. The rate of pay was $13 per hour and it remained the same for 5 years.

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Dallas, TX

I applied online and interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview Details – submitted an application for fulltime position, and was referred to a part-time position. I went in for an interview and it was more on the basis of communication skills, not so much educational proficiency. Just communicate efficiently

Interview Question – what can you bring to the team   View Answer

Teacher

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview Details – Interview was obtained through connections with a friend who worked at the company at that time. I had one interview lasting approximately 30 minutes and was asked about my educational experience and background. The interview itself was very low-key. I was also asked if I had current teacher certification and if I would be planning on keeping it current, as Sylvan only employees people who have (or have HAD) teacher certification.

Interview Question – "How would you explain main idea to a 5th grader?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Though I'd expected full-time hours, I was told those weren't available. I would ask for a specific schedule and expected number of hours worked per week, and if those hours would be consistent each day.

Tutor Interview

Tutor
White Plains, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2014.

Interview Details – I called my local center and they gave me an e-mail address to send in my resume. It helped greatly to mention my friend who had worked there previously. I was e-mailed a request to come in for n interview within 2 days.

It was a very laidback and friendly interview overall. There were two people interviewing me at once, the head of the center and the director of education. I was asked to provide more information about my prior tutoring and teaching experience, preferred age groups, preferred subjects and availability.

Interview Question – What was your best moment as a tutor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on a starting salary of 20/hr. I scheduled to come in for observation the following week.

Very Easy Interview

Reading/Writing Instructor Interview

Reading/Writing Instructor
Silverdale, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position from Craigslist and a couple of days later was asked to come in for an appointment. The interview lasted an hour but the interviewer did most of the talking. I was only asked to tell about myself and I talked about my education and a little bit about my experience. It felt a little more like a meeting to learn more about the company and see if I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told that it's $12/hour and after 6 months a .50 raise. I was told I would get 4-10 hours a week to start.

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call about 5 days later. I was asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. I set up a day and time and went in. The interview was with the center director and the owner. Most questions were relating to teaching such as why I love teaching, and what is the thing you like least about teaching. After the interview I received a call later that day asking if I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Name a problem you have when dealing with a student who has a behavior problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

After-School Tutor Interview

After-School Tutor
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in February 2014.

Interview Details – A friend who used to work as a Tutor for Sylvan referred me. I emailed my resume to the specified contact & received a call within 30 minutes to set up an interview for the following day. I filled out a Sylvan application in the lobby, & then met with the interviewer who was pleasant. After 20 minutes, she offered me the position. I later realized that the interview (which was composed of many questions I had read about on Glassdoor) was primarily designed to eliminate obvious misfits. I also learned that the interviewer had spoken with my referring friend earlier that day.

Interview Question – All of the questions were reasonable & to be expected: What is your tutoring experience? What age range have you worked with? How would you handle a disruptive child? Why do you like working with children? What qualities are most important for a teacher?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My referring friend said the position was offering $20/hr. That's the salary I said I was expecting, & the salary that was offered.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sylvan Learning Centers

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!