Sylvan Learning Centers Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Nov 21, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Elgin, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Elgin, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

I only had one interview with the Director at the time. I filled out an online application and then was called in to be interviewed. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. The director explained the tutoring and instructional hour, motivation program, and gave me a tour of the center as well. After that, I received a call and job offer within a week's time.

Interview Questions
  • There weren't many difficult questions. Most were typical questions that would be asked during a teaching interview. For example, what are your strengths and weaknesses? what are the qualities of a good teacher? tell me about yourself. what would you do to encourage a student who seems to be frustrated with the work? how would you motivate the unmotivated student? What type of programs would you be comfortable teaching?   Answer Question
There was little to no negotiation. There was a standard hourly rate that teachers were given, and training was a lower rate than tutoring.

Other Interview Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2014.

I called my local center and they gave me an e-mail address to send in my resume. It helped greatly to mention my friend who had worked there previously. I was e-mailed a request to come in for n interview within 2 days.

It was a very laidback and friendly interview overall. There were two people interviewing me at once, the head of the center and the director of education. I was asked to provide more information about my prior tutoring and teaching experience, preferred age groups, preferred subjects and availability.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on a starting salary of 20/hr. I scheduled to come in for observation the following week.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in June 2013.

It is pretty simple. You apply online and they email you a few days later. They set up an appointment for you. This is a group interview (4 people) so everyone in the group take turns answering questions. The interviewer will ask around 6-7 questions about teaching methods and handling behavioral problems.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions about dealing with behavioral problems. They give you a scenario and then you come up with a solution to handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cypress, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Cypress, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in May 2012.

Routine questions, very structured. Open and honest.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in your previous teaching experience during which you had to change or adapt the curriculum for a particular student or group.   Answer Question

Low pay, and they required for me to have a teacher certification

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peabody, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peabody, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in April 2012.

One interview. Applied for a position as a teaching assistance, but was overqualified. I barely remember the questions they asked. Basically, as long as I knew the subjects they were willing to hire me. I had minimal experience as a teacher but they offered me a job right away.

Interview Questions
    • Can't even remember. It was a while ago and none of them seemed like important questions. Easiest interview of my life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in September 2011.

Interview consisted of a few questions over the phone about my experience and whether I could handle multi-tasking, then an introduction to the center and questions about whether I could handle the director who the interviewer told me might need reminders to treat me like I was human. I then took a paper and pencil version of the state reading test, state 8th grade math test, and the state writing exam. It was time consuming, but understandable.

Interview Questions
    • Can you teach 3 students in the same session?   View Answer

lack of flexibility at the center, rude center director, rude head of education, low wages, poor teaching practices (mostly worksheets, expected to grade and teach at same time)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in January 2011.

Had a phone interview and then a group interview with 8 people. The interview went by pretty easily and it only took about forty-five minutes. The people working at the office seemed to be overworked and on edge. They were nice to me, but they seemed as though they were worked pretty hard. The dress code is business casual for sure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Barn, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Barn, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2010.

1 interview, pretty simple
    very few questions about how I would managed a table of 3 different aged students
    didn't specify how many hours I would get just said part time, anticipated receiving more

Interview Questions
    • no difficult or unexpected questions were asked   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. The rate of pay was $13 per hour and it remained the same for 5 years.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manteca, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manteca, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in September 2008.

Informal talk about teaching experience

Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in January 2012.

I applied through the Sylvan website even though no jobs were listed. I received a call a week later where I participated in a short phone interview. I would have preferred that the phone interview be scheduled instead of springing it on me randomly. I received a call that Monday to come in for a panel interview for a tutoring position. I was surprised when I came to the interview to see 10 people waiting for an interview. We all went in together and spend 7 minutes each with 4 interviewers, in a speed dating type of interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest mistake you have made so far in your career?   Answer Question

The job was way to far of a job to only be spending one hour a day tutoring.