Sylvan Learning Centers

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Long Barn, CA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2010.

Interview Details – 1 interview, pretty simple
very few questions about how I would managed a table of 3 different aged students
didn't specify how many hours I would get just said part time, anticipated receiving more

Interview Question – no difficult or unexpected questions were asked   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations. The rate of pay was $13 per hour and it remained the same for 5 years.

White Plains, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in March 2014.

Interview Details – I called my local center and they gave me an e-mail address to send in my resume. It helped greatly to mention my friend who had worked there previously. I was e-mailed a request to come in for n interview within 2 days.

It was a very laidback and friendly interview overall. There were two people interviewing me at once, the head of the center and the director of education. I was asked to provide more information about my prior tutoring and teaching experience, preferred age groups, preferred subjects and availability.

Interview Question – What was your best moment as a tutor?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on a starting salary of 20/hr. I scheduled to come in for observation the following week.

Peabody, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in April 2012.

Interview Details – One interview. Applied for a position as a teaching assistance, but was overqualified. I barely remember the questions they asked. Basically, as long as I knew the subjects they were willing to hire me. I had minimal experience as a teacher but they offered me a job right away.

Interview Question – Can't even remember. It was a while ago and none of them seemed like important questions. Easiest interview of my life.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in June 2013.

Interview Details – It is pretty simple. You apply online and they email you a few days later. They set up an appointment for you. This is a group interview (4 people) so everyone in the group take turns answering questions. The interviewer will ask around 6-7 questions about teaching methods and handling behavioral problems.

Interview Question – Mostly questions about dealing with behavioral problems. They give you a scenario and then you come up with a solution to handle it.   Answer Question

Cypress, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in May 2012.

Interview Details – Routine questions, very structured. Open and honest.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in your previous teaching experience during which you had to change or adapt the curriculum for a particular student or group.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low pay, and they required for me to have a teacher certification

Groton, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in September 2011.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of a few questions over the phone about my experience and whether I could handle multi-tasking, then an introduction to the center and questions about whether I could handle the director who the interviewer told me might need reminders to treat me like I was human. I then took a paper and pencil version of the state reading test, state 8th grade math test, and the state writing exam. It was time consuming, but understandable.

Interview Question – Can you teach 3 students in the same session?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – lack of flexibility at the center, rude center director, rude head of education, low wages, poor teaching practices (mostly worksheets, expected to grade and teach at same time)

Modesto, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in January 2011.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and then a group interview with 8 people. The interview went by pretty easily and it only took about forty-five minutes. The people working at the office seemed to be overworked and on edge. They were nice to me, but they seemed as though they were worked pretty hard. The dress code is business casual for sure.

Interview Question – What tools can you bring to this position?   Answer Question

Manteca, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in September 2008.

Interview Details – Informal talk about teaching experience

Tutor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through the Sylvan website even though no jobs were listed. I received a call a week later where I participated in a short phone interview. I would have preferred that the phone interview be scheduled instead of springing it on me randomly. I received a call that Monday to come in for a panel interview for a tutoring position. I was surprised when I came to the interview to see 10 people waiting for an interview. We all went in together and spend 7 minutes each with 4 interviewers, in a speed dating type of interview process.

Interview Question – What was the biggest mistake you have made so far in your career?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job was way to far of a job to only be spending one hour a day tutoring.

Tutor

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers in February 2011.

Interview Details – phone screen followed by a 1:1 interview

Interview Question – how would i handle an unruly child?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate anything but work hours

Interviews for Top Jobs at Sylvan Learning Centers

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!