Sylvan Learning Centers Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 10, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

A two step process which involved testing for which subject you are qualified to tutor and then a mock tutoring session with their hiring manager. The job is meant for someone who is not daunted difficult conversations and feels in control of their academic expertise. There is also room to be a mentor and life motivator in this position, so they are searching for those qualities in a candidate. Appear professional, be personable, and be prepared to stay for a while.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a non-responsive student?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was comfortable enough with the salary and hours that I did not feel the need to negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Anonymous Employee in South Elgin, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (South Elgin, IL).

Interview

I only had one interview with the Director at the time. I filled out an online application and then was called in to be interviewed. The interview lasted about 30 minutes. The director explained the tutoring and instructional hour, motivation program, and gave me a tour of the center as well. After that, I received a call and job offer within a week's time.

Interview Questions

• There weren't many difficult questions. Most were typical questions that would be asked during a teaching interview. For example, what are your strengths and weaknesses? what are the qualities of a good teacher? tell me about yourself. what would you do to encourage a student who seems to be frustrated with the work? how would you motivate the unmotivated student? What type of programs would you be comfortable teaching?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was little to no negotiation. There was a standard hourly rate that teachers were given, and training was a lower rate than tutoring.

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (White Plains, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

I called my local center and they gave me an e-mail address to send in my resume. It helped greatly to mention my friend who had worked there previously. I was e-mailed a request to come in for n interview within 2 days. It was a very laidback and friendly interview overall. There were two people interviewing me at once, the head of the center and the director of education. I was asked to provide more information about my prior tutoring and teaching experience, preferred age groups, preferred subjects and availability.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation on a starting salary of 20/hr. I scheduled to come in for observation the following week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

It is pretty simple. You apply online and they email you a few days later. They set up an appointment for you. This is a group interview (4 people) so everyone in the group take turns answering questions. The interviewer will ask around 6-7 questions about teaching methods and handling behavioral problems.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about dealing with behavioral problems. They give you a scenario and then you come up with a solution to handle it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Cypress, TX) in May 2012.

Interview

Routine questions, very structured. Open and honest.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in your previous teaching experience during which you had to change or adapt the curriculum for a particular student or group.   Answer Question

Low pay, and they required for me to have a teacher certification

Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Peabody, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

One interview. Applied for a position as a teaching assistance, but was overqualified. I barely remember the questions they asked. Basically, as long as I knew the subjects they were willing to hire me. I had minimal experience as a teacher but they offered me a job right away.

Interview Questions

• Can't even remember. It was a while ago and none of them seemed like important questions. Easiest interview of my life.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Groton, CT) in September 2011.

Interview

Interview consisted of a few questions over the phone about my experience and whether I could handle multi-tasking, then an introduction to the center and questions about whether I could handle the director who the interviewer told me might need reminders to treat me like I was human. I then took a paper and pencil version of the state reading test, state 8th grade math test, and the state writing exam. It was time consuming, but understandable.

Interview Questions

• Can you teach 3 students in the same session?   1 Answer

lack of flexibility at the center, rude center director, rude head of education, low wages, poor teaching practices (mostly worksheets, expected to grade and teach at same time)

Anonymous Employee in Carrollwood, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Carrollwood, FL) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview was very easy. If you show an enthusiasm for wanting to teach then you will most likely get the job. They asked me what my strengths were. I responded mathematics.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase

Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Modesto, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Had a phone interview and then a group interview with 8 people. The interview went by pretty easily and it only took about forty-five minutes. The people working at the office seemed to be overworked and on edge. They were nice to me, but they seemed as though they were worked pretty hard. The dress code is business casual for sure.

Anonymous Employee in Long Barn, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Long Barn, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

1 interview, pretty simple very few questions about how I would managed a table of 3 different aged students didn't specify how many hours I would get just said part time, anticipated receiving more

Interview Questions

• no difficult or unexpected questions were asked   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The rate of pay was $13 per hour and it remained the same for 5 years.