Symantec

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Symantec

Interview Details – I'm just donw qith first round... not sure what will be result..

1st round: written technical round:

Network related questions like difference between various protocol..
difference between IPAddress and Mac address
Testing related questions like, what is regression testing, whitebox, black box and grey box tesitng
along with that one scenario, based on that need to write test cases
SQL queries
Simple 2 programs , one file io program just to read line from file and another to remove duplicates number from array (any language is fine)

If you guys wils find it easier to crack 1st round :)
All d best

Negotiation Details – NA

Associate SQA Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Submitted resume to the Job Portal.
On shortlisting got an interview call.
The interview had two sections, conducted by multiple person
1. Experience based questions
2. Aptitude, logical reasoning
Experienced based questions are mainly regarding the technology I worked upon. Basically, web based testing. Portal setup, IIS functionality, Windows overall, etc.
Aptitude questions were random, and i was not prepared for them. The logic and reasoning is what they focused on, they said for the answers.

Interview Question – No questions difficult level as such, but the Logical reasoning were higher level, more of lateral and out of box thinking,
e.g. There are thee switches outside of a closed room to operate three different light bulb inside the room. You can only go into the room once and you need to determine which switch belongs to which bulb. Just to make it clear, room is perfectly locked and its not possible to determine whether lights are on from outside the room.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – The offered and I accepted. Did not go in negotiations as such.

Chennai (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – The whole procedure is too fast. The HR person is too friendly. Finished all my F2F rounds in 3 hours. Entered office at 11 AM. Came out with a Offer Letter by 3 PM.

Total 4 rounds
          1. Telephonic
          2. Face 2 Face (By lead)
          3. Face 2 Face (By Hiring Manager)
          4. Face 2 Face (HR)

Got to know about job opening via a friend. Forwarded resume. Got a call from HR for scheduling Telephonic round.

1st Round:
        They are looking for a candidate who is proficient either in C++ or Python. Since I said I'm strong in C++, he asked all the questions from C++.
            Questions on Storage classes, virtual functions, polymorphism, Inheritance. There are no difficult or unexpected questions. If you are strong in C++ basics this round is piece of cake for you. Before the day of interview just go through "Test your C++ skills by Yeshwanth Kanetkar".

2nd Round: All are Software Testing Questions
    He gave me a Scenario and asked me how you will approach as a tester ?
    Differnce between Severity and Priority.
    Given a Telephone tell me a defect where severity is low but priority is high.

3rd Round: Most questions are on testing but some questions on linked lists and behavioural questions
    Tell me about yourself.
    Explain your old project ?
    What is Agile methodology ?
    Who is Scrum master ?
    What is difference between Hang and Crash ?
    What you will do if a system crashes ?
    How you will find whether a linked list is circular or not ?
    Did you ever had any disputes with your manager ?
    What you will do if you had dispute with your manager ?

4th Round:
    Just package negotiation.
    He explained all the facilities provied by Symantec to their employees.

Go through "Cracking the coding Interview : Testing Chapter". It will be too useful for you to answer all testing questions.

Interview Question – No Unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have some defined package for the role. But they ask how much you want ? But finally the will give the defined package only.

Pune (India)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2013.

Interview Details – First I got a call from HR, saying that first round of interview has been scheduled. He also assured my availability. Then I got the first round confirmation mail.

First Round Experience:
It was more technical and questions were just coming at me non stop. It lasted for around 2 hours. Questions were mostly based on what I had written down on my resume. Projects which I had done in my graduation, which subjects were interesting, Data Structures, Linux & windows OS, Programming(JAVA/C++) and little bit of Networking concepts.

After I cleared first round, I was asked to leave and was told that the feedback will be communicated by HR. Next day I got a call from HR for Round 2.

Second Round Experience:
It was basically little less technical but here I was given couple of programs to be written and explaining logic to senior engineers. Programs were mainly on trees and linked lists. After I completed this round I was asked to wait for some time.

Third Round Experience:
It was a general discussion with the Manager and I was selected.

Interview Question – As a starter, SQL injection was difficult for me to answer.   Answer Question

Pune (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – It all started with a technical aptitude. 20 mcqs 1 hr with negative markin. all questions were core technical with last two questions based on aptitude. to clear this round you should b good at you c basics and over all computing knowledge.
after you clear apti round you have to go through 3 interview rounds.
!st round: it lasted for 30min. the interviewer asked everything from data structures to assembly language.. everything was covered. but its ok if you are not through with all the concepts... shallow knowledge of all is wat is required
2nd round: it was core technical. 3 C questions and 1 sql query.
and 3rd round: core hr. which i think should not be very difficult to clear.

Interview Question – 2nd technical round is what is the most challenging. u gotta be clear with networking, C, sql and operating systems.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation phase. salary offered to me was good for any fresher.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!