Symantec Associate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

3.3

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec came to our college for campus placements. So here's are the details: 1. Conducted an mcq+coding test on Hackerrank(or Hackerearth, not sure) from which they shortlisted about 5 students for the next round. 2. The next rounds were conducted in the Baner campus of Symantec Pune. 3. There were a total of 3 technical rounds and 1 HR. The last tech round was with the tech director/lead. 4. The technical rounds go into the depth of topics in which you've rated yourself well. My first 2 tech rounds lasted for about 90-120 minutes each. Lots of detailed core CS questions asked. 4.1 Surprisingly I was asked no advanced data structure questions were asked. Just the basic stuff like reversing linked lists, etc. But other students were asked quite probing DS questions. 4.2 So I think if your concepts about OS, oop, networks and programing are a bit weak the interview veers towards more of data structures. 5. Over all it took about 5-6 hours for the entire process of interviews and it tested me on all aspects of CS. So it was a great experience. Not too hard if your basics are sound.

Interview Questions

• System concepts: Memory Management, practical aspects of it in C , storage concepts, etc OOP questions in detail with code. linked list, trees basics   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN).

Interview

The process was very short. I spoke on the phone with the recruiter and he scheduled an in person interview. I met with the hiring manager and then three engineers after that. There was a mix of technical, logical, and behavioral questions. I was offered the job later in the same week.

Interview Questions

• Database query questions along with create a function that...   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Interview

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need. 2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.

Application

Interview

1 phone screen - C++ and OOP basics 4 interviews onsite - C++, OOP basics, simple programs like reverse a string, analytical thinking questions like design a rubiks cube, testing oriented questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Herndon, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

I had one on-campus interview. It was all about my resume and projects that I have worked on. There were 2 guys, one of them was asking me questions and the other one was making notes. Nothing much of technical in the first round. Then they called me on-site to their Alexandria, VA branch, I had 4 technical rounds. you have to write code on whiteboard. They want to assess your thought process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

In the beginning as soon as you hear from them with the offer, I don't think you can negotiate.. Once you start talking to them with the possibilities and if they know that you are really interested and excited about this offer and you are for sure accepting the offer, they will consider increasing the base salary to some extent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2011.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview from HR followed by 2 on-site interviews. Both interviews were with a panel of people. The first was non-technical interview mostly based off my resume and interests. The second was technical - answering a few basic computer science questions as well as writing pseudocode for "fizz buzz" program as well as writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm.

Interview Questions

• writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm was probably the most difficult question as I was about 8 years out of college and the last time I looked at writing such an algorithm. Thankfully I always remember quicksort.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate because the salary offer was good. In hindsight, I should have tried to negotiate a sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview was mostly based on my resume, describing the projects i worked on in graduate school and the challenges that went with it. It was a friendly interview and lasted only 1 hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they did not have any wriggle room.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

Very lengthy process.First Round : 90 mins coding round with 2 simple codes like search in BST stuff followed by 20 MCQ's. Coding round took one day results were displayed so late. After that selection process took several rounds including problem solving, code optimisation, Data structures, UNIX basics

Interview Questions

• BST Searching, Code Error Rectification, Logical Problems, Some basic fundamentals of CN OS   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)).

Interview

I have applied through recruiter. Got call from HR and invited me for the written aptitude test and symantec office. Test consists of questions on python, Java, database, android and operating system and some security related. There were also 3 algorithms to write. After Test, there 3 technical interviews which took almost 2 weeks. One from India and other two are from onsite. 4th was with Vice president.HR was done over telephone.

Negotiation

One should prepared well for negotiation. If you DON'T demand, then you WON'T get it.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in November 2013.

Interview

I got selected for interview through the campus recruitment process.First round was coding and tecnical quiz.They were pretty easy.Next day they asked to come at symantec work location for interviews.Interview process consisting of two technical interviews and one hr round.Finally at the end of day they declared results.And I got the job :).

Interview Questions

• Questions were mainly based on operating systems and data structures.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation.