Symantec Interview Questions & Reviews in California

80 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me regarding open position at Symantec. The recruiter worked quickly to set up 1 phone screenings and quickly move to an onsite interview. Everything was done in less than a week. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, data structure, algorithm, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. It was one of the quickest interview I ever had and the interviewer was easy to talk with

Interview Questions
    • asked if I liked to play games, and what games.. how would you develop + test it..   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2012.

Convoluted and time wasting, interviewer not completely familiar with role, did not know much about who manager would be, too many dispersion on capability - had to continually justify experience and background

Very open to negotiation

QA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

initial screening, culture fit and few technical questions. free food. formal dress code. friendly atmosphere, nice location. questions are mostly cultural fit. not too much technical questions.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Pretty simple process. Met them at a campus career fair and followed up later with an online application. Had a quick screening call with the hr manager then one 30 minute phone interview with the department manager. Got the offer a week later. I was applying for a non-technical position so they were looking more for fit and experience than technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given 3 tasks that were impossible to complete by the deadline, what would you do?   View Answers (2)
    Minimally negotiable.

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec.

The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back.
    I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview.

I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds.

2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked.

What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me.

Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

SQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

The university recruiter called me up saying she received my resume through our school's career fair. The initial phone screen was about 30 minutes. The hiring manager talked about their product and the teams. Then asked the usual java questions such as difference between interface and abstract class, and others. Then an on-site was scheduled at the SF office. I went down there on-time. In total, there were 3 rounds, each of which was conducted by two interviewers together. They asked the usual SQA-related questions found on the internet. The HM took me for a lunch at a nice-place. Got an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a sample web-application components. Explain your testing plan for each component.   View Answer
    The pay-package was what I wanted and didn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

one phone, one on campus, two onsite

Interview Questions

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!