Symantec

Average Difficulty
77 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

Interview Details – initial screening, culture fit and few technical questions. free food. formal dress code. friendly atmosphere, nice location. questions are mostly cultural fit. not too much technical questions.

Intern Interview

Intern
Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 rounds - tech
and behavioural
got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty simple process. Met them at a campus career fair and followed up later with an online application. Had a quick screening call with the hr manager then one 30 minute phone interview with the department manager. Got the offer a week later. I was applying for a non-technical position so they were looking more for fit and experience than technical knowledge.

Interview Question – If you were given 3 tasks that were impossible to complete by the deadline, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Minimally negotiable.

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Interview Details – Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec.

The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back.
I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview.

I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds.

2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked.

What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me.

Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

SQA Interview

SQA
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Interview Details – The university recruiter called me up saying she received my resume through our school's career fair. The initial phone screen was about 30 minutes. The hiring manager talked about their product and the teams. Then asked the usual java questions such as difference between interface and abstract class, and others. Then an on-site was scheduled at the SF office. I went down there on-time. In total, there were 3 rounds, each of which was conducted by two interviewers together. They asked the usual SQA-related questions found on the internet. The HM took me for a lunch at a nice-place. Got an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Question – Draw a sample web-application components. Explain your testing plan for each component.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The pay-package was what I wanted and didn't negotiate.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Software Development Intern Interview

Software Development Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

Interview Details – one phone, one on campus, two onsite

Interview Question – Binary tree implementation via linkedlists   Answer Question

Frontend Engineer Interview

Frontend Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Question – They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Symantec

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec interview questions and advice in California. All 77 interview reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees and interview candidates.