Symantec

3.2

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Met a recruiter at my school's career fair. He sent me an email a few days later asking to schedule a 30-45 minute technical interview. I scheduled the interview for a few weeks after the email was sent-- all coding questions (3 or them): one on implementing a stack with template, one on trees, one about parenthesis checking (also stack). Coded in C++ on collabedit.

Moved on to on-site interview: mostly conceptual questions about polymorphism, classes, and data structures. Got phone call a few days later saying I made it through, and HR contacted me the following week. Took about 2 weeks to finalize offer.

Total time taken to finalize things after the initial phone interview: ~3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Question about malloc, free, realloc (more C like terms)   Answer Question
    Did no negotiate. First time applying for internships (inexperienced), offer was competitive.

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me regarding open position at Symantec. The recruiter worked quickly to set up 1 phone screenings and quickly move to an onsite interview. Everything was done in less than a week. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, data structure, algorithm, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. It was one of the quickest interview I ever had and the interviewer was easy to talk with

Interview Questions
    • asked if I liked to play games, and what games.. how would you develop + test it..   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week.

The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions.

Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.'

The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical.

The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing.

The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec.

The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back.
    I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview.

I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds.

2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked.

What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me.

Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec.

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Associate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

1. Pre-screening by HR recruiter
    2. Phone Interview with hiring manager
    3. Non-Technical Interview
    4. Technical Interview
    5. Hired

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers prepared and compiled questions from all network and VM related topics.
      The questions based on scenario, and you need to describe the steps of troubleshooting and fix.
      Sometimes, they also ask about Linux and DOS commands such as like diskpart

Answer Question

Got a better offer from other team

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

The recruiter worked quickly to set up a phone screenings and an onsite interview. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. Overall, it was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Basically, my desired compensation was not matched. Pretty disappointing but no hard feelings about it all.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

I knew someone in the company, told them I was interested in a position after finishing college. A couple of weeks later I received a phone call from a recruiter who asked what kind of position I was looking for, and when I would want to start. I told them I was interested in a software development position, but didn't know any specifics about what was available. They set up an in-person interview with several departments in order to find out what best suited my abilities, which took about 3+ hours (one hour for each department.) Each interview started with a few questions about my experience and then moved on to questions about general concepts in the computer science. A couple of the interviewers also asked me specific problems that I worked out on the board in the room in front of them. If I didn't know a part of the way to solve a problem, they would explain that aspect.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: The interviewer for the general intern position asked me to write a simple algorithm for calculating where the hour and second hands should be on an analog clock, given a time. Wanted it to handle malformed times given as input.   Answer Question

STAR Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Talked to recruiter at career fair, answered a couple python questions at the fair and then was scheduled for an on campus interview the day after.

At the interview, I discussed my experience for about 5 minutes and then went on to the technical portion. I answered the question correctly and the interviewer and I talked quite casually about random things. The interview itself took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a few C++ questions about classes and then was asked to code a function that converts a string of digits to the actual integer value (without using atoi).

ex.