Symantec

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Interview Details – Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec.

The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back.
I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview.

I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds.

2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked.

What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me.

Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Frontend Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

Associate Hardware Engineer Interview

Associate Hardware Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Pre-screening by HR recruiter
2. Phone Interview with hiring manager
3. Non-Technical Interview
4. Technical Interview
5. Hired

Interview Question – Interviewers prepared and compiled questions from all network and VM related topics.
The questions based on scenario, and you need to describe the steps of troubleshooting and fix.
Sometimes, they also ask about Linux and DOS commands such as like diskpart
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer from other team

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter worked quickly to set up a phone screenings and an onsite interview. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. Overall, it was very pleasant.

Interview Question – Nothing really worth mentioning. =)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Basically, my desired compensation was not matched. Pretty disappointing but no hard feelings about it all.

STAR Intern Interview

STAR Intern
Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiter at career fair, answered a couple python questions at the fair and then was scheduled for an on campus interview the day after.

At the interview, I discussed my experience for about 5 minutes and then went on to the technical portion. I answered the question correctly and the interviewer and I talked quite casually about random things. The interview itself took about 45 minutes.

Interview Question – Was asked a few C++ questions about classes and then was asked to code a function that converts a string of digits to the actual integer value (without using atoi).

ex.
string a = "1234";
int b;
//some code to make b = 1234
  Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager
Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Interview Details – There were multiple discussions with multiple people. There was an initial phone screen with HR and then a technical phone screen with a senior member of the technical staff. During the in-person interviews, I talked with multiple people about the position, each person had a different relationship and interest in the position. The interview process ended with a 1-1 interview with the person who would end up being my boss. From my experieince, it was a very typical interview process.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions tended to be situational in nature - how would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Symantec Interview

Symantec
Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Symantec in July 2012.

Interview Details – Talent search committee called after weeks I posted my resume

Interview Question – Implemented a priority queue (max) on 5 pieces of white 8x11 office paper.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in June 2011.

Interview Details – I started off with a phone interview, in which I talked about my previous projects. Then I had an in person interview that lasted 3 hours.

Interview Question – They asked me how to reverse a linked list   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2013.

Interview Details – Appeared for an on-campus (USC) interview. Was called for 2 on-site interviews (Culver City office) about 2 weeks later. Interviewer was very friendly; started with a brief overview of the position and then began the technical questions. Mostly implementation of OOPS concepts and questions involving string and array manipulation.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to print the directory structure/hierarchy. A directory may or may not contain files or sub-directories.   Answer Question
  • Explain polymorphism and virtual functions. Implement them with an example.   Answer Question
  • Write program to remove duplicate characters from a string. Optimize it. Give different strategies to approach the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was good enough, and they said I could also continue the internship beyond the designated 3 months (i.e along with my next semester as a co-op) if I wanted.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!