Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.1

Cyber Security Engineer/Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Applied for both positions online via company site. I then received an email to schedule a phone interview. The IT recruiter calls and asks some questions (see below), then an in person interview is scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • The HR guy was very pushy in wanting to make you talk. It seemed like he wanted to get make the quickest judgement in the least amount of time. Asked for salary requirements then started asking job/position related questions. After 1-2 job related questions, he began asking technical questions (port numbers, diff between x/y, etc. ) After phone interview a in-person (technical) interview is scheduled which is more straightforward.   Answer Question

Testing Position Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

I have applied through career fair, got a call in a couple of weeks from HR and setup meeting with the team who hires you. It was a 30 min phone interview with the team. two people took the interview. they were very friendly. starts with a brief chat on resume and then dives into questions based on the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in March 2015.

totally 2 rounds of telephone interview, first round is just something about resume, the interviewer asked some question about my project design and detail. No programming questions.
    Second round is of some programming questions and some concept questions about OO programming, hashtable and etc, both rounds are about half hour. On average the interview is not so difficult and the people are nice and very easy to talk to. Good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the difference between hashmap and hashtable   View Answer

Director, Marketing Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Symantec.

Symantec's process was long and convoluted. Three months with many starts and stops. Strong words of encouragement followed by silence. Quite a frustrating process that was not at all streamlined. The hiring managers were also not receptive to questions about the team and job. I found that odd.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers had different angles. One person was all about psychology another focuses solely on process.   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

It was a 2 hour interview. They asked about basics of Quality Assurance and problems related to it. They gave a real life scenario and asked me how I would test the surroundings in that scenario. They asked me to test the room lights using various scenarios.

Incident Commander Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in February 2015.

Very informal. Had an interview prior to with staff in Tucson, AZ that was not very professional. Avoid this employer. They will not recognize education or skills if it is above the managers whom are interviewing you! I found the staff criticizing my employment history versus looking at my skills and what value proposition I could bring to the table and really help the organization. I had staff whom were not clearly qualified to be interviewing me for the job in question and upon further review of LinkedIn profiles it only solidified my suspicion.

Interview Questions
    • Basic stuff about ITIL. Someone with a GED and no real college education should be able to answer the questions that are provided. Not a very professional environment!   View Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in February 2015.

50 minute phone interview and 90 minute interview on site. Asked questions about previous experience and reviewed excel skills. On site interview was conducted by two people and included a small your.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have writing formal reports and which tools do you use to analyze data?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

You have to hunt for the jobs - they are posted, but not easy to find. If your manager isn't clear you're looking you get almost no help. The Talent Acquistion team are mostly contractors, so theres a chance you will speak to multiple people int he process before ever getting to hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • None - it was very standard. Focused on how you get others to sell more.   Answer Question
    Minimal wiggle room unless the location is hard to find talent for or the jobs been open a long time.

Intern - Hourly Interview

It was a phone interview. I could not hear the first couple questions clearly due to connection issues. Questions are mostly testing on my understanding of basic concepts such as do you prefer C++ or Java, or how do you do unit testing on a reverse string function. The coding part was to find the maximum number of appearances of a character in a string. Was asked to provide a couple test cases as well. My interviewer was a nice and patient guy. . I got the on site interview almost 2 weeks later.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in December 2014.

Coolest Interview process ever I had. 7 rounds of interview which includes assignment on MySQL as well. Screening questions done by Team leads and the three hours of technical round with IIT folks ranging across all platform and sectors. And then, quick assignment to be completed on MySQL Performance tuning areana and review meeting with Management teams.

Be prepared for long process and worth a try.

Selected Finally!!!

Interview Questions
    • Design a DB for Facebook to maintain the newsfeeds, bulk comments, photos and videos..   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate