Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

First Interview was over the phone, than hiring manager, after I had interview with his peers. One of his peers, had no experience about the position and was asking me to clarify what it would do for his team. Very awkward! I've got an offer and accepted it, and when I had a chance to interact with that individual, I learned first had he is a master in making people uncomfortable, very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There are lots of ambiguity in the company/department/project. How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer
    • They used a lot of old school jargon, and some of the acronyms from the current CEO   Answer Question

Endpoint Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the same guy I met at the career fair. He was nice, but he was speaking to me thru the speaker so it was hard to hear at times. There was another person with him in the room. His questions were fair and should be obvious to someone who pays attention to details in their class. When I ask them how many interns are they hiring, they say 1 for the summer. Be prepare to give your best.

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about yourself.
      2. Talk about a bug you cannot solve and how did you solve it.
      3. How to store "last name, first name, id" into database for future access?
      4. If you can't connect to google, how do you debug it? (hint: DNS)

1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Applied for both positions online via company site. I then received an email to schedule a phone interview. The IT recruiter calls and asks some questions (see below), then an in person interview is scheduled.

Interview Questions

• The HR guy was very pushy in wanting to make you talk. It seemed like he wanted to get make the quickest judgement in the least amount of time. Asked for salary requirements then started asking job/position related questions. After 1-2 job related questions, he began asking technical questions (port numbers, diff between x/y, etc. ) After phone interview a in-person (technical) interview is scheduled which is more straightforward.   Answer Question

Testing Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I have applied through career fair, got a call in a couple of weeks from HR and setup meeting with the team who hires you. It was a 30 min phone interview with the team. two people took the interview. they were very friendly. starts with a brief chat on resume and then dives into questions based on the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

totally 2 rounds of telephone interview, first round is just something about resume, the interviewer asked some question about my project design and detail. No programming questions.
    Second round is of some programming questions and some concept questions about OO programming, hashtable and etc, both rounds are about half hour. On average the interview is not so difficult and the people are nice and very easy to talk to. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between hashmap and hashtable   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone: About project and interests, just show your enthusiasm and you will be okay.
    Panel: 4 people:Grilling, was asked to write code(easy) on the whiteboard, they went in great depths of my projects(difficult).

Interview Questions

• How did you improve the efficiency of your code in your project? time of execution of code? algo. development?   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approached by recruiter (via linkedin). Got ph. screen interview around 30mins. Asked about previous experience and job opening related projects. Scheduled on-site with-in a week. 5 in-person interview. Two coding questions, two design and architecture questions. 5th was with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation and spin on matrix iteration (recursion).   Answer Question

Director, Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec's process was long and convoluted. Three months with many starts and stops. Strong words of encouragement followed by silence. Quite a frustrating process that was not at all streamlined. The hiring managers were also not receptive to questions about the team and job. I found that odd.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers had different angles. One person was all about psychology another focuses solely on process.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

It was a 2 hour interview. They asked about basics of Quality Assurance and problems related to it. They gave a real life scenario and asked me how I would test the surroundings in that scenario. They asked me to test the room lights using various scenarios.

Incident Commander Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Tucson, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Very informal. Had an interview prior to with staff in Tucson, AZ that was not very professional. Avoid this employer. They will not recognize education or skills if it is above the managers whom are interviewing you! I found the staff criticizing my employment history versus looking at my skills and what value proposition I could bring to the table and really help the organization. I had staff whom were not clearly qualified to be interviewing me for the job in question and upon further review of LinkedIn profiles it only solidified my suspicion.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff about ITIL. Someone with a GED and no real college education should be able to answer the questions that are provided. Not a very professional environment!   1 Answer