Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.1

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started with a screening with an HR recruiter followed by a technical phone screen for an hr. After clearing the phone screen process, was invited to attend on-site interview. On-site interview was scheduled for over 5 hrs with 2 people interviewing each hr.

Answered some questions with difficulty and some to the interviewer's satisfaction. The interview was terminated by some director mid way in a most unprofessional manner. Do not bother interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Serializing and de-serializing a BST with full coding.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Interview

The first technical phone screen was pretty much simple, touching on previous projects and java basics. Then there was a homework problem and given 75 mins to solve that. The onsite was scheduled for 3 hours, but the first person to interview me could not be present due to issues he was facing at work. At the end, I was called for the second round directly after waiting for an hour. And even after that round, there was no one available to interview me, which looked pretty unprofessional on their side. Not sure if this is a one time thing or a common recurring thing. But I could not perform upto expectations in that round , and it not able to get a chance to interview the remaining rounds in the same day proved to be a negative factor in deciding my candidacy(atleast that is what I think). I was rejected after that round and not called after that.

Interview Questions

• Count paths in a matrix, write algorithm to design a boggle game   Answer Question

Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round is phone interview for an hour. Then setup onsite interview.
    Need to write sudo code for algorithms. Interviewers were not prepared with list of questions. Each session has 2 people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• how to find file recursively with pattern matching (not using find).   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Troy, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Multi-step interview process was very lengthy and not well planned out or outlined to potential employee. Follow up technical interviews were labeled as simply "I would like you to speak to another colleague of mine". Extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate cancelling the in person interview a few days ahead of time after 2 months of planning and taking vacation from existing employer.

PM Interview

Interview

It was PM related questions. It was soft skills questions and few technical questions. Mainly what was your PM style , how long did you work for ? What is your motivation ? Where do you want to go ?

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN).

Interview

The process was very short. I spoke on the phone with the recruiter and he scheduled an in person interview. I met with the hiring manager and then three engineers after that. There was a mix of technical, logical, and behavioral questions. I was offered the job later in the same week.

Interview Questions

• Database query questions along with create a function that...   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2015.

Interview

After several weeks of dancing / following up / emails with the recruiter a detailed call with recruiter was arranged. This went quite well and there was excitement of setting up the next interview.
    Then followed another scheduling drama because hiring manager was out of office / out of country / travel etc. No response from recruiter to which I had to continually follow up and check on status.
    Finally after several weeks, learned that
    the position was apparently put on freeze.

Not a good overall experience. Not forthcoming.. Put yourself in shoes of the candidate please.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle such a large team across geographes   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

First Interview was over the phone, than hiring manager, after I had interview with his peers. One of his peers, had no experience about the position and was asking me to clarify what it would do for his team. Very awkward! I've got an offer and accepted it, and when I had a chance to interact with that individual, I learned first had he is a master in making people uncomfortable, very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There are lots of ambiguity in the company/department/project. How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer
    • They used a lot of old school jargon, and some of the acronyms from the current CEO   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. Got a call for technical interview initially. After that had another round of technical interview. Finally a HR round. The whole process took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The questions were specific to the team I was being interviewed for
      1. Basic java and C++ ( checked vs unchecked exception, usage of volatile keyword )
      2. Multithreading related questions
      3. Singleton design pattern
      4. Multiprocessor related scenario based question
      5. Question from the resume - mostly about previous projects
      6. Security related questions - virus, worms, IDS, firewall

Answer Question

Endpoint Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the same guy I met at the career fair. He was nice, but he was speaking to me thru the speaker so it was hard to hear at times. There was another person with him in the room. His questions were fair and should be obvious to someone who pays attention to details in their class. When I ask them how many interns are they hiring, they say 1 for the summer. Be prepare to give your best.

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about yourself.
      2. Talk about a bug you cannot solve and how did you solve it.
      3. How to store "last name, first name, id" into database for future access?
      4. If you can't connect to google, how do you debug it? (hint: DNS)

1 Answer