Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.1

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Two in-person interviews and a technical skills test.

First interview was by the manager, and the second interview was by the entire technical support team.
    Technical skills test was designed to see your technical skills AND demonstrate how you might find solutions you don't have the answer to.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest weakness in previous jobs, and how would you overcome it working in this current position?   View Answer

Encryption Software Engineer Interview

Was simple, was made to write code on phone interview for 45 minutes and 2 interviews on campus. Questions related to strings, arrays, queues. The whole process tooks about 3 weeks. Got the call from our career fair.

No Negotiation

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Recruiters asked to provide timelines for in-house interview and was not replying for 9 days. Looks like recruiters at Symantec are very busy. Finally after interview was scheduled, i had to wait between interviewers for 25 min first time, and 15 min second time. Didn't look like they are actually want me there at all.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. I asked question what do they like at Symantec, and no one could say even one positive thing - not about company, or work they do.   Answer Question

No Interview

Hiring manager will call for an interview direly.mthen onsite with the manager and the team. The offer is very quick,and the people are very nice. But management are weak and unstable.

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me regarding open position at Symantec. The recruiter worked quickly to set up 1 phone screenings and quickly move to an onsite interview. Everything was done in less than a week. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, data structure, algorithm, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. It was one of the quickest interview I ever had and the interviewer was easy to talk with

Interview Questions
    • asked if I liked to play games, and what games.. how would you develop + test it..   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week.

The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions.

Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.'

The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical.

The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing.

The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Network Security Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

2 different set of interviews. First, was a phone interview with the SOC manager. 2-3 days later i received an email inviting me for an on-site interview. The interview was set up in 3 different ways: technical, critical thinking, and behavioral. The interview lasted for 3 hours with people coming in and out of the interview room.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an attacker, what are the different ways you would perform a DDoS attack?   Answer Question

Associate Authentication Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Symantec.

First Round- Phone Interview with two managers. General questions about your experiences, they ask questions regarding about the relevance it is to the position.

Second Round- Panel Interview with multiple Many questions about the position and how you fit in. Typing Test is taken while they watch you.

Interview Questions
    • Technical Questions, They bought up two listings of a company and ask which would I choose to authenticate.   Answer Question
    • Why you instead of another candidate?   Answer Question
    None, done through agency

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Symantec.

Technical Phone Interview by the Sr Software Engineer. Generally, It is a 45 min technical interview and mostly technical questions and programming questions. C, C++, Java. All the concepts of Java were prominently asked quite often in the interview.

Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager directly. First round was the phone interview and was regular QA questions.
    Next round was face to face. I was interviewed by like 6 employees. They were nice and asked expected questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write a program for one of the automation scenarios. I did not remember the syntax, but gave them the logic.   Answer Question