Symantec

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.1

Principal Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in July 2010.

Submitted my resume in June. Bypassed the 1st screening with HR and went straight to the first 1:1 interview with the hiring manager. Interview consisted of 5 min=background and experience on resume, 25 mins= product management questions, 10 mins= asking the interviewer questions. Candidates are interviewed in batches. According to the interviewer, it will be weeks before I find out if I make the next round. According to interviewer, the next round will consist of in-person meetings with several members (PM, PMM, Directors, VPs).

Interview Questions
    • Product strategy question. Which features should they offer in the next release of the product? and why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Was referred to the hiring manager, contacted him, and set up an interview. Interview was 1 on 4, and consisted of mainly technical questions, also some code writing on a whiteboard, and a couple more standard questions as well. Interview went well, and they indicated they'd get an offer out to me within a couple days. One month later, an offer finally arrived, but by that time I had already accepted elsewhere. They have a nice building and nice staff, but I got the feeling that they are severely understaffed and highly stressed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding the security vulnerabilities in our 2 million lines of code?   Answer Question

Took longer than promised to receive the official offer.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in September 2012.

Given 5 rounds of technical interview.
    1.Telephonic
    2.f2f interview with 2 people
    3.f2f interview with 2 people
    4. manager round
    interview was very good.after one week hr called me and said we do have some budget problem for that project.As your feedback is postive and you have cleared all the round. so please meet the another project's manager.this will not be technical round.

so i again went to their kharadi office from hinjewadi. there were again two persons one sr. dev manager and technical. it was also a technical round. I was able to give the answers of all the questions which were related to my skilsl,it includes coding and designing problem.after this they have started asking about os,memory mangmnt,semaphore. these are not my skills so i was not able to give the answers.they have also told me that you have cleared all the rounds earlier but we don't consider those and we don't know what have you been told by hr.

after 2 weeks i got the mail from hr that you r not selected.

Interview Questions
    • design producer consumer prob.
      hashmap implementation
      puzzles
      write the program x the power y using recursion.
      some other programming questions
      questions on binary search tree.

View Answer

Network Security Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

2 different set of interviews. First, was a phone interview with the SOC manager. 2-3 days later i received an email inviting me for an on-site interview. The interview was set up in 3 different ways: technical, critical thinking, and behavioral. The interview lasted for 3 hours with people coming in and out of the interview room.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an attacker, what are the different ways you would perform a DDoS attack?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Standard hiring manager interview > Situation interview with hiring manager > Technical interview with hiring manager > In-person presentation for entire sales team. The interview process was very drawn out. Usually during the interview process if you have to reschedule because of a conflict they would look into another time that day or sometime next couple days. Instead, I would be scheduled like a week later

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview was almost all hardware questions. For a software company, I expected software questions, but it was the complete opposite. Know your storage hardware   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in February 2013.

Mostly there are two face to face Technical rounds followed by Telephonic technical round from Senior Manager Onsite and 1 HR round. Technical round are more tough as compared to telephonic rounds. HR round is just minimal about salary negiotation

Interview Questions
    • manager was more interested in MVVM pattern and was interested in knowing detail knowledge on Windows System.   Answer Question

Android Developer/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec in August 2014.

Interview was for an android developers position, but they really didn't / don't want someone with android as a skill. They are looking for someone with good knowledge of data structures and C. Rest they will teach. Interview was conducted as
    1. Technical Test 2. White board test 3. Online Test

Interview Questions
    • 5 code snippets were asked apart from 25 MCQ's mainly on Data structures and 3 Subjective questions again on data structures   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Rotation Program Interview

After applying, was contacted about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes long. The person I talked to did not really know what he was doing and instead of asking me questions he were given, he ended up just asking me random questions about my background. He was extremely detailed and wanted to know every detail about my work experience and background, so know your resume inside and out! I was told by a recruiter that the interview was going to be very casual and they just wanted to get to know me but I was given a case study, which completely caught me off guard, especially since I was applying for an FA role not a consulting job. That kind of bombed it for me.

Nonetheless, the interviewer was extremely friendly and helped guide me through the case study.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult market sizing question based off of little to no information   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in December 2013.

I am selected through a campus interview at Pune University Computer Science Department.First they took aptitude test which contains technical plus arithmatic questions.After test on the next day Interview is scheduled and the interview is based on OS,DS,networking.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need.
    2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.