Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

3.1

Testing Position Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I have applied through career fair, got a call in a couple of weeks from HR and setup meeting with the team who hires you. It was a 30 min phone interview with the team. two people took the interview. they were very friendly. starts with a brief chat on resume and then dives into questions based on the position.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

totally 2 rounds of telephone interview, first round is just something about resume, the interviewer asked some question about my project design and detail. No programming questions.
    Second round is of some programming questions and some concept questions about OO programming, hashtable and etc, both rounds are about half hour. On average the interview is not so difficult and the people are nice and very easy to talk to. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between hashmap and hashtable   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone: About project and interests, just show your enthusiasm and you will be okay.
    Panel: 4 people:Grilling, was asked to write code(easy) on the whiteboard, they went in great depths of my projects(difficult).

Interview Questions

• How did you improve the efficiency of your code in your project? time of execution of code? algo. development?   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approached by recruiter (via linkedin). Got ph. screen interview around 30mins. Asked about previous experience and job opening related projects. Scheduled on-site with-in a week. 5 in-person interview. Two coding questions, two design and architecture questions. 5th was with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation and spin on matrix iteration (recursion).   Answer Question

Director, Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec's process was long and convoluted. Three months with many starts and stops. Strong words of encouragement followed by silence. Quite a frustrating process that was not at all streamlined. The hiring managers were also not receptive to questions about the team and job. I found that odd.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers had different angles. One person was all about psychology another focuses solely on process.   Answer Question

Incident Commander Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Tucson, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Very informal. Had an interview prior to with staff in Tucson, AZ that was not very professional. Avoid this employer. They will not recognize education or skills if it is above the managers whom are interviewing you! I found the staff criticizing my employment history versus looking at my skills and what value proposition I could bring to the table and really help the organization. I had staff whom were not clearly qualified to be interviewing me for the job in question and upon further review of LinkedIn profiles it only solidified my suspicion.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff about ITIL. Someone with a GED and no real college education should be able to answer the questions that are provided. Not a very professional environment!   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

50 minute phone interview and 90 minute interview on site. Asked questions about previous experience and reviewed excel skills. On site interview was conducted by two people and included a small your.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have writing formal reports and which tools do you use to analyze data?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Apply in University career fair. Onsite interview one week after. There are three person that interview me in total. There is no break between them. Each one takes 45 min and the whole process goes a little bit longer than 2 hours. The last one interview me is the team manager.

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

You have to hunt for the jobs - they are posted, but not easy to find. If your manager isn't clear you're looking you get almost no help. The Talent Acquistion team are mostly contractors, so theres a chance you will speak to multiple people int he process before ever getting to hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• None - it was very standard. Focused on how you get others to sell more.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimal wiggle room unless the location is hard to find talent for or the jobs been open a long time.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Interview

It was a phone interview. I could not hear the first couple questions clearly due to connection issues. Questions are mostly testing on my understanding of basic concepts such as do you prefer C++ or Java, or how do you do unit testing on a reverse string function. The coding part was to find the maximum number of appearances of a character in a string. Was asked to provide a couple test cases as well. My interviewer was a nice and patient guy. . I got the on site interview almost 2 weeks later.