Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

3.1

Senior Business Process Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in December 2014.

I had three interviews the first was an internal Symantec Recruiter that found me on linkedin. Then I had two phone screen interviews by what would have been peers. The first two interviews were great, the third was a negative experience, so much that I don't think I will ever consider Symantec as a future employer.

Interview Questions
    • It was an easy interview, but the interviewer was biased against men, and dismissed my decade long experience of work in sales support, because 2004 she had just gotten out of school and any thing before 2004 couldn't possibly still be relevant.   View Answer

Financial Analyst Rotation Program Interview

After applying, was contacted about a week later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was 30 minutes long. The person I talked to did not really know what he was doing and instead of asking me questions he were given, he ended up just asking me random questions about my background. He was extremely detailed and wanted to know every detail about my work experience and background, so know your resume inside and out! I was told by a recruiter that the interview was going to be very casual and they just wanted to get to know me but I was given a case study, which completely caught me off guard, especially since I was applying for an FA role not a consulting job. That kind of bombed it for me.

Nonetheless, the interviewer was extremely friendly and helped guide me through the case study.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult market sizing question based off of little to no information   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Apply in school job fair. Then receive a email to arrange an half day interview with 3 department managers. Each manager have interview for about 45 minutes. There was a 5 minutes break between each manager. After all interview, they arrange a lunch and campus tour to all the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer complain about the website feature, what will you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Met a recruiter at my school's career fair. He sent me an email a few days later asking to schedule a 30-45 minute technical interview. I scheduled the interview for a few weeks after the email was sent-- all coding questions (3 or them): one on implementing a stack with template, one on trees, one about parenthesis checking (also stack). Coded in C++ on collabedit.

Moved on to on-site interview: mostly conceptual questions about polymorphism, classes, and data structures. Got phone call a few days later saying I made it through, and HR contacted me the following week. Took about 2 weeks to finalize offer.

Total time taken to finalize things after the initial phone interview: ~3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Question about malloc, free, realloc (more C like terms)   Answer Question
    Did no negotiate. First time applying for internships (inexperienced), offer was competitive.

Intern Interview

A phone interview of basic C++/C data structure questions including differences between algorithm run times, classes and structs, polymorphism, inheritance. The onsite interview included two interviews, 45 minutes each.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

First recruiter from Symantec contacted me. Very quick to arrange a phone interview. First phone interview by very junior developer. Very basic questions such as difference between Java and C++. Next programming assignment on hacker rank. This was sent the same day. After finishing the assignment, was called for on-site interview.
    On-Site interview scheduled for 5 interviewers. Only 4 showed up. I was told, there will be a followup interview to meet the director etc. but never happened. No interview feedback provided.

Interview Questions
    • how bitly shortens the URLs
      How do you delete a node in BST
      write code that causes deadlock
      Explain Java Memory Model

Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need.
    2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec.

After the call with a knowledgeable recruiter, spoke with one of the core persons in the team. This was for the first round. First round went well with the basic set of questions. Followed up and heard the team chose another candidate.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Two in-person interviews and a technical skills test.

First interview was by the manager, and the second interview was by the entire technical support team.
    Technical skills test was designed to see your technical skills AND demonstrate how you might find solutions you don't have the answer to.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest weakness in previous jobs, and how would you overcome it working in this current position?   View Answer

Web Producer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec in October 2014.

One phone screen, then a four-man face-to-face interview. Interviewed with people 1/2 my age or less. It was obvious early on in the interview I had no chance with these people. The gray in my hair scared them away, because I was absolutely qualified for the position. Age discrimination is rampant in the valley, it's as youth-obsessed as Hollywood.

Interview Questions
    • What was a challenge you've overcome in the past?   View Answer