Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone: About project and interests, just show your enthusiasm and you will be okay. Panel: 4 people:Grilling, was asked to write code(easy) on the whiteboard, they went in great depths of my projects(difficult).

Interview Questions

• How did you improve the efficiency of your code in your project? time of execution of code? algo. development?   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approached by recruiter (via linkedin). Got ph. screen interview around 30mins. Asked about previous experience and job opening related projects. Scheduled on-site with-in a week. 5 in-person interview. Two coding questions, two design and architecture questions. 5th was with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation and spin on matrix iteration (recursion).   Answer Question

Director, Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec's process was long and convoluted. Three months with many starts and stops. Strong words of encouragement followed by silence. Quite a frustrating process that was not at all streamlined. The hiring managers were also not receptive to questions about the team and job. I found that odd.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers had different angles. One person was all about psychology another focuses solely on process.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college career fair and got an email asking for personal background information a week afterwards. Followed by 2 phone interviews with different recruiters. Did not get an onsite interview because of rejection.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

50 minute phone interview and 90 minute interview on site. Asked questions about previous experience and reviewed excel skills. On site interview was conducted by two people and included a small your.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have writing formal reports and which tools do you use to analyze data?   Answer Question

Incident Commander Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Tucson, AZ) in February 2015.

Interview

Very informal. Had an interview prior to with staff in Tucson, AZ that was not very professional. Avoid this employer. They will not recognize education or skills if it is above the managers whom are interviewing you! I found the staff criticizing my employment history versus looking at my skills and what value proposition I could bring to the table and really help the organization. I had staff whom were not clearly qualified to be interviewing me for the job in question and upon further review of LinkedIn profiles it only solidified my suspicion.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff about ITIL. Someone with a GED and no real college education should be able to answer the questions that are provided. Not a very professional environment!   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Apply in University career fair. Onsite interview one week after. There are three person that interview me in total. There is no break between them. Each one takes 45 min and the whole process goes a little bit longer than 2 hours. The last one interview me is the team manager.

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

You have to hunt for the jobs - they are posted, but not easy to find. If your manager isn't clear you're looking you get almost no help. The Talent Acquistion team are mostly contractors, so theres a chance you will speak to multiple people int he process before ever getting to hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• None - it was very standard. Focused on how you get others to sell more.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimal wiggle room unless the location is hard to find talent for or the jobs been open a long time.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Interview

It was a phone interview. I could not hear the first couple questions clearly due to connection issues. Questions are mostly testing on my understanding of basic concepts such as do you prefer C++ or Java, or how do you do unit testing on a reverse string function. The coding part was to find the maximum number of appearances of a character in a string. Was asked to provide a couple test cases as well. My interviewer was a nice and patient guy. . I got the on site interview almost 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec in December 2014.

Interview

I had three interviews the first was an internal Symantec Recruiter that found me on linkedin. Then I had two phone screen interviews by what would have been peers. The first two interviews were great, the third was a negative experience, so much that I don't think I will ever consider Symantec as a future employer.

Interview Questions

• It was an easy interview, but the interviewer was biased against men, and dismissed my decade long experience of work in sales support, because 2004 she had just gotten out of school and any thing before 2004 couldn't possibly still be relevant.   1 Answer