Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager directly. First round was the phone interview and was regular QA questions.
    Next round was face to face. I was interviewed by like 6 employees. They were nice and asked expected questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write a program for one of the automation scenarios. I did not remember the syntax, but gave them the logic.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

4 rounds onsite interview. I was asked about work experience and background. Some questions about Unix commands, networking knowledge, python coding test.

Senior Sales Ops Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Symantec.

Hiring process was smooth - interviews were all with people I already knew, who asked tough, but fair questions, and challenged my assumptions about the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a moment when you turned a failure into an opportunity.   Answer Question
    Easy.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

one phone, one on campus, two onsite

Principal Mobile Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and she setup the interview pretty fast. Had an initial phone screen and then invited onsite. Had an algorithm question, a few process related questions and such. The questions were very easy and the people talked very positively, as if I would be asked to join the next week. Anyhow the recruiting manager got back to me after a couple of weeks saying they were looking for people with more expertise in relevant area.

Software Development Intern Interview

Had one phone screening and one six hour interview on-site.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec.

Worst ever I saw. People don't know how to interview for a director position. For example: They ask the commands in a technical interview for a director position. The interviewer's motto is to fail the candidate. I suggest them to have a feedback review for the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • What is the command to copy a file from local directory to Hadoop environment ( In an interview, a senior architect asked interviewer for a position of Director).   View Answer