Symantec

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.1

Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager directly. First round was the phone interview and was regular QA questions.
    Next round was face to face. I was interviewed by like 6 employees. They were nice and asked expected questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to write a program for one of the automation scenarios. I did not remember the syntax, but gave them the logic.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec.

The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back.
    I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview.

I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds.

2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked.

What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me.

Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

Senior Software Engineer In Test Interview

4 rounds onsite interview. I was asked about work experience and background. Some questions about Unix commands, networking knowledge, python coding test.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Pretty simple process. Met them at a campus career fair and followed up later with an online application. Had a quick screening call with the hr manager then one 30 minute phone interview with the department manager. Got the offer a week later. I was applying for a non-technical position so they were looking more for fit and experience than technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given 3 tasks that were impossible to complete by the deadline, what would you do?   View Answers (2)
    Minimally negotiable.

SQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

The university recruiter called me up saying she received my resume through our school's career fair. The initial phone screen was about 30 minutes. The hiring manager talked about their product and the teams. Then asked the usual java questions such as difference between interface and abstract class, and others. Then an on-site was scheduled at the SF office. I went down there on-time. In total, there were 3 rounds, each of which was conducted by two interviewers together. They asked the usual SQA-related questions found on the internet. The HM took me for a lunch at a nice-place. Got an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a sample web-application components. Explain your testing plan for each component.   View Answer
    The pay-package was what I wanted and didn't negotiate.

Senior Sales Ops Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Symantec.

Hiring process was smooth - interviews were all with people I already knew, who asked tough, but fair questions, and challenged my assumptions about the job.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a moment when you turned a failure into an opportunity.   Answer Question
    Easy.

Software Development Intern Interview

Had one phone screening and one six hour interview on-site.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec.

Worst ever I saw. People don't know how to interview for a director position. For example: They ask the commands in a technical interview for a director position. The interviewer's motto is to fail the candidate. I suggest them to have a feedback review for the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • What is the command to copy a file from local directory to Hadoop environment ( In an interview, a senior architect asked interviewer for a position of Director).   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve