Symantec

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter worked quickly to set up a phone screenings and an onsite interview. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. Overall, it was very pleasant.

Interview Question – Nothing really worth mentioning. =)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Basically, my desired compensation was not matched. Pretty disappointing but no hard feelings about it all.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Springfield, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in April 2010.

Interview Details – Behavioral interviewing process. Good communication between application, screening and hiring manager.

Interview Question – Tell us a time when you encountered a situation that was adversarial. How did you react and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Symantec

Interview Details – Interviewed in September 2010. Had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice to talk to. Started with a discussion of project mentioned on my resume. Asked basic questions about C coding such as static variables, auto variables, register variables. Stack vs heap. Memory allocation. Structure vs union. Ended with a brief discussion of the position.

Partner Account Manager Interview

Partner Account Manager
Eugene, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – They use behavioral type questions, Ie provide an example of time when you did X, how did it work, what was the results, what could you have done better. The have a list of them from their HR site, so expect to hear similar questions alot. Some managers dont use them, but be prepared to be as specific as possible.

Interview Question – Desribe a time when you had a conflict/disagreement with a fellow employee, what happend and how did you respond. What is the result now?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was really not a negotiation, it was here is what we will pay take it or we find someone else.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Principal Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
1. QA Manager.
2. Senior Manager.
3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.

Interview Question – nothing was difficult and unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – In my experience here there is no defined interview process; it is different department to department and manager to manager. Majority of the time candidates have an 'in' which basically guarantees them the job. This doesn't mean that there is no interviews at all however. To the contrary, they tend to do several 1:1 interviews (I haven't seen many panel interviews, but it depends on the department). Expect a half or full day of back to back 1:1 interviews.

Negotiation Details – This company will negotiate (within reason) though you should keep in mind that, generally, they are pretty fair around salary.

Sales and Marketing Leadership Program Interview

Sales and Marketing Leadership Program

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – The first round interview process was relatively simple, with a structured interview format and the interviewer reading straight off a list of questions. I was asked some situational questions that were a bit unusual, i.e. "tell me about a time when you've done some work but then had to hand it off to someone else who dealt with the implementation/results. how did you influence that end process?" - i was thrown off by that one and am not sure i answered it very well. however the interviewer was very nice and helpful, so overall it was a good experience.

Interview Question – What do you think the market opportunity is for consumer antivirus software in the United States?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Norton Engineering Intern Interview

Norton Engineering Intern
Springfield, OR

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was promptly contacted for a phone screen with an HR person, asked a few questions about my project plus some filter knowledge questions, mostly regarding IP stuff and relational databases.

I moved on to the next round with a manager at the the team. He didn't ask any technical questions -- just ones about my experience and projects.

After about three weeks of no contact or actual technical interviews, I was rejected,

Interview Question – What is a primary key?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Question – Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Senior Principal Program Manager Interview

Senior Principal Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Multiple screenings, in-person and presentation