Symantec

Updated Jan 15, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve

Software Engineer Interview

HR called and set up a phone interview then was called for onsite.
    There were 3 onsite interview
    1. Coding interview where they asked to do tree traversal
    2. Coding interview where they made me do directory traversal
    3. Testing interview where I was given a scenario which I had to write test cases for

They gave me 10000 more than I asked but in Stocks

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec.

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed in September 2010. Had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice to talk to. Started with a discussion of project mentioned on my resume. Asked basic questions about C coding such as static variables, auto variables, register variables. Stack vs heap. Memory allocation. Structure vs union. Ended with a brief discussion of the position.

Partner Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec.

They use behavioral type questions, Ie provide an example of time when you did X, how did it work, what was the results, what could you have done better. The have a list of them from their HR site, so expect to hear similar questions alot. Some managers dont use them, but be prepared to be as specific as possible.

Interview Questions
    • Desribe a time when you had a conflict/disagreement with a fellow employee, what happend and how did you respond. What is the result now?   Answer Question
    There was really not a negotiation, it was here is what we will pay take it or we find someone else.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Associate Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

1. Pre-screening by HR recruiter
    2. Phone Interview with hiring manager
    3. Non-Technical Interview
    4. Technical Interview
    5. Hired

Interview Questions
    • Interviewers prepared and compiled questions from all network and VM related topics.
      The questions based on scenario, and you need to describe the steps of troubleshooting and fix.
      Sometimes, they also ask about Linux and DOS commands such as like diskpart

Answer Question

Got a better offer from other team

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

They gave me an interview from a career Fair, a month or so later i received an email that was fairly badly written asking for an interview.

I went and they asked about conversion of mb to KB and pb and a method that could do it. Also asked about the Fibonacci sequence.

Nice environment and people, seemed very business like.

Interview Questions
    • Fibonacci recursively and iteratively   Answer Question
    • What is java brief down into before it's compiled?   View Answer
    • Convert kilobytes, megabytes, bytes and petabytes to each other from user input of size of data   Answer Question