Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Interview

A phone interview of basic C++/C data structure questions including differences between algorithm run times, classes and structs, polymorphism, inheritance. The onsite interview included two interviews, 45 minutes each.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

First recruiter from Symantec contacted me. Very quick to arrange a phone interview. First phone interview by very junior developer. Very basic questions such as difference between Java and C++. Next programming assignment on hacker rank. This was sent the same day. After finishing the assignment, was called for on-site interview. On-Site interview scheduled for 5 interviewers. Only 4 showed up. I was told, there will be a followup interview to meet the director etc. but never happened. No interview feedback provided.

Interview Questions

• how bitly shortens the URLs How do you delete a node in BST write code that causes deadlock Explain Java Memory Model   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Interview

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need. 2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

After the call with a knowledgeable recruiter, spoke with one of the core persons in the team. This was for the first round. First round went well with the basic set of questions. Followed up and heard the team chose another candidate.

Technical Support Analyst Interview

Interview

Two in-person interviews and a technical skills test. First interview was by the manager, and the second interview was by the entire technical support team. Technical skills test was designed to see your technical skills AND demonstrate how you might find solutions you don't have the answer to.

Interview Questions

• What has been your greatest weakness in previous jobs, and how would you overcome it working in this current position?   1 Answer

Web Producer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Symantec in October 2014.

Interview

One phone screen, then a four-man face-to-face interview. Interviewed with people 1/2 my age or less. It was obvious early on in the interview I had no chance with these people. The gray in my hair scared them away, because I was absolutely qualified for the position. Age discrimination is rampant in the valley, it's as youth-obsessed as Hollywood.

Interview Questions

• What was a challenge you've overcome in the past?   1 Answer

Encryption Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Was simple, was made to write code on phone interview for 45 minutes and 2 interviews on campus. Questions related to strings, arrays, queues. The whole process tooks about 3 weeks. Got the call from our career fair.

Interview Questions

• Implement some functions in a deque.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negotiation

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring manager interview > Situation interview with hiring manager > Technical interview with hiring manager > In-person presentation for entire sales team. The interview process was very drawn out. Usually during the interview process if you have to reschedule because of a conflict they would look into another time that day or sometime next couple days. Instead, I would be scheduled like a week later

Interview Questions

• The technical interview was almost all hardware questions. For a software company, I expected software questions, but it was the complete opposite. Know your storage hardware   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Recruiters asked to provide timelines for in-house interview and was not replying for 9 days. Looks like recruiters at Symantec are very busy. Finally after interview was scheduled, i had to wait between interviewers for 25 min first time, and 15 min second time. Didn't look like they are actually want me there at all.

Interview Questions

• None unexpected. I asked question what do they like at Symantec, and no one could say even one positive thing - not about company, or work they do.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview followed a few days later by a technical phone interview. About 2 weeks after the technical phone interview, I had a onsite interview that consisted of another behavioral phone interview and 3 technical interviews. The interview process was moderately challenging, but fair, and I liked the people I met. About 6 weeks after my onsite interview I hadn't heard anything from Symantec, so I contacted them and was told someone would get back to me. Another 2 weeks go by, and I made another attempt to contact them, and got the same answer. About 4 months later, the status of my application on the Symantec jobs website changed to “No Longer Under Consideration”. I was never contacted by anyone after my onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical phone interview consisted mostly of testing my knowledge of C++. The onsite interviews were mostly design questions.   Answer Question