Symantec

3.1

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

In my experience here there is no defined interview process; it is different department to department and manager to manager. Majority of the time candidates have an 'in' which basically guarantees them the job. This doesn't mean that there is no interviews at all however. To the contrary, they tend to do several 1:1 interviews (I haven't seen many panel interviews, but it depends on the department). Expect a half or full day of back to back 1:1 interviews.

This company will negotiate (within reason) though you should keep in mind that, generally, they are pretty fair around salary.

Sales and Marketing Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

The first round interview process was relatively simple, with a structured interview format and the interviewer reading straight off a list of questions. I was asked some situational questions that were a bit unusual, i.e. "tell me about a time when you've done some work but then had to hand it off to someone else who dealt with the implementation/results. how did you influence that end process?" - i was thrown off by that one and am not sure i answered it very well. however the interviewer was very nice and helpful, so overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the market opportunity is for consumer antivirus software in the United States?   Answer Question

Senior Principal Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

Multiple screenings, in-person and presentation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec.

Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

The recruiter worked quickly to set up a phone screenings and an onsite interview. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. Overall, it was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

Basically, my desired compensation was not matched. Pretty disappointing but no hard feelings about it all.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec.

Through career fair. Went to their office and had two interviews. One with the manager and other with 2 engineers. It wasn't very technical.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that technical. Mostly behavorial stuff.   Answer Question
    As an intern, I couldn't negotiate.

Principal Mobile Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter and she setup the interview pretty fast. Had an initial phone screen and then invited onsite. Had an algorithm question, a few process related questions and such. The questions were very easy and the people talked very positively, as if I would be asked to join the next week. Anyhow the recruiting manager got back to me after a couple of weeks saying they were looking for people with more expertise in relevant area.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Software Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

First interviewer asked general questions in my resume. Then he let me solve two programming problems. One is about linked list,but I cannot remember the detailed question now. It's quite easy. The other is about binary tree, to find the lowest common ancestor of two given nodes.