Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.1

Interview

Had one phone screening and one six hour interview on-site.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

HR called and set up a phone interview then was called for onsite.
    There were 3 onsite interview
    1. Coding interview where they asked to do tree traversal
    2. Coding interview where they made me do directory traversal
    3. Testing interview where I was given a scenario which I had to write test cases for

Negotiation

They gave me 10000 more than I asked but in Stocks

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Worst ever I saw. People don't know how to interview for a director position. For example: They ask the commands in a technical interview for a director position. The interviewer's motto is to fail the candidate. I suggest them to have a feedback review for the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What is the command to copy a file from local directory to Hadoop environment ( In an interview, a senior architect asked interviewer for a position of Director).   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

QA Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA).

Interview

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interviewed in September 2010. Had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice to talk to. Started with a discussion of project mentioned on my resume. Asked basic questions about C coding such as static variables, auto variables, register variables. Stack vs heap. Memory allocation. Structure vs union. Ended with a brief discussion of the position.

Partner Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Eugene, OR).

Interview

They use behavioral type questions, Ie provide an example of time when you did X, how did it work, what was the results, what could you have done better. The have a list of them from their HR site, so expect to hear similar questions alot. Some managers dont use them, but be prepared to be as specific as possible.

Interview Questions

• Desribe a time when you had a conflict/disagreement with a fellow employee, what happend and how did you respond. What is the result now?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was really not a negotiation, it was here is what we will pay take it or we find someone else.

Frontend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The process took a month. I was initially pre-screened by a person in Mountain View who later scheduled a phone interview with a Frontend Engineer. The phone interview was about 45 minutes. We talked about my previous experience and later she asked me a series of Javascript and jQuery questions. Basic questions like what is closure, variable hoisting, DOM manipulation questions. The onsite interview lasted 6 hours with six different 6 engineers. Some engineers were not asking too many technical questions and just wanted to get a feel for you. Some were very technical. Come prepared with Backbone.js and AngularJS knowledge.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.