Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

In my experience here there is no defined interview process; it is different department to department and manager to manager. Majority of the time candidates have an 'in' which basically guarantees them the job. This doesn't mean that there is no interviews at all however. To the contrary, they tend to do several 1:1 interviews (I haven't seen many panel interviews, but it depends on the department). Expect a half or full day of back to back 1:1 interviews.

This company will negotiate (within reason) though you should keep in mind that, generally, they are pretty fair around salary.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
    1. QA Manager.
    2. Senior Manager.
    3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
    4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.

Sales and Marketing Leadership Program Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec.

The first round interview process was relatively simple, with a structured interview format and the interviewer reading straight off a list of questions. I was asked some situational questions that were a bit unusual, i.e. "tell me about a time when you've done some work but then had to hand it off to someone else who dealt with the implementation/results. how did you influence that end process?" - i was thrown off by that one and am not sure i answered it very well. however the interviewer was very nice and helpful, so overall it was a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the market opportunity is for consumer antivirus software in the United States?   Answer Question

Norton Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Was promptly contacted for a phone screen with an HR person, asked a few questions about my project plus some filter knowledge questions, mostly regarding IP stuff and relational databases.

I moved on to the next round with a manager at the the team. He didn't ask any technical questions -- just ones about my experience and projects.

After about three weeks of no contact or actual technical interviews, I was rejected,

Senior Principal Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Multiple screenings, in-person and presentation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

On-campus interview. Questions on implementing fibonacci and palindrome. Then a couple of questions on recursion vs. iteration and memory allocation in C++.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Symantec.

Through career fair. Went to their office and had two interviews. One with the manager and other with 2 engineers. It wasn't very technical.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really that technical. Mostly behavorial stuff.   Answer Question
    As an intern, I couldn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Questions
    • questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

STAR Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Talked to recruiter at career fair, answered a couple python questions at the fair and then was scheduled for an on campus interview the day after.

At the interview, I discussed my experience for about 5 minutes and then went on to the technical portion. I answered the question correctly and the interviewer and I talked quite casually about random things. The interview itself took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a few C++ questions about classes and then was asked to code a function that converts a string of digits to the actual integer value (without using atoi).

ex.