Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview followed a few days later by a technical phone interview. About 2 weeks after the technical phone interview, I had a onsite interview that consisted of another behavioral phone interview and 3 technical interviews. The interview process was moderately challenging, but fair, and I liked the people I met. About 6 weeks after my onsite interview I hadn't heard anything from Symantec, so I contacted them and was told someone would get back to me. Another 2 weeks go by, and I made another attempt to contact them, and got the same answer. About 4 months later, the status of my application on the Symantec jobs website changed to “No Longer Under Consideration”. I was never contacted by anyone after my onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical phone interview consisted mostly of testing my knowledge of C++. The onsite interviews were mostly design questions.   Answer Question

No Interview

Interview

Hiring manager will call for an interview direly.mthen onsite with the manager and the team. The offer is very quick,and the people are very nice. But management are weak and unstable.

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me regarding open position at Symantec. The recruiter worked quickly to set up 1 phone screenings and quickly move to an onsite interview. Everything was done in less than a week. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, data structure, algorithm, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. It was one of the quickest interview I ever had and the interviewer was easy to talk with

Interview Questions

• asked if I liked to play games, and what games.. how would you develop + test it..   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week. The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions. Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.' The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical. The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing. The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

Interview

2 different set of interviews. First, was a phone interview with the SOC manager. 2-3 days later i received an email inviting me for an on-site interview. The interview was set up in 3 different ways: technical, critical thinking, and behavioral. The interview lasted for 3 hours with people coming in and out of the interview room.

Interview Questions

• If you were an attacker, what are the different ways you would perform a DDoS attack?   Answer Question

Associate Authentication Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

First Round- Phone Interview with two managers. General questions about your experiences, they ask questions regarding about the relevance it is to the position. Second Round- Panel Interview with multiple Many questions about the position and how you fit in. Typing Test is taken while they watch you.

Interview Questions

• Technical Questions, They bought up two listings of a company and ask which would I choose to authenticate.   Answer Question
    • Why you instead of another candidate?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, done through agency

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Technical Phone Interview by the Sr Software Engineer. Generally, It is a 45 min technical interview and mostly technical questions and programming questions. C, C++, Java. All the concepts of Java were prominently asked quite often in the interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

Got a call from the hiring manager directly. First round was the phone interview and was regular QA questions. Next round was face to face. I was interviewed by like 6 employees. They were nice and asked expected questions.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write a program for one of the automation scenarios. I did not remember the syntax, but gave them the logic.   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test/QA/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Please read it if you are interviewing with Symantec. The worst company I have ever interviewed with. Please think before accepting the offer. I got the first random call from them and was asked to give the interview. I was told the its Software Engineer in Test position. These were the exact word. Cleared that round and they schedules second phone interview 2 days later. They called me and told its QA position and asked me some QA related questions. I cleared that. They want to call me for onsite interview . It was Thursday and they asked me to come onsite on Monday. Everything was on phone. They didnt mail me till Saturday. Heights of irresponsibility. I emailed them back and asked. They said they wont be able to conduct on Monday. So they will reach me back. I mailed them twice but no reply. One week passed away. Then I asked them to schedule it on next wednesday. They said they will mail me the details. No email again till tuesday, the day before my interview. Again I mailed them and asked. They said they are working on it. How pathetic. Tomorrow is my interview and they are still working. Next day they scheduled my interview on Thursday. I went for the interview. I got to know that the position has changed and they will be interviewing me for the Software Engineer position. Great! At the last moment they change the way they want. It was ok for me. They took the first 2 rounds which were not the technical rounds. They just discussed the position. There were going to be 6 rounds. 2nd round was taken by the manager and he said he is sending the interviewer for the third round. Then a person came in and said they are looking for a strong developer so they cannot move forward. I was shocked. What was that. I told him that , I have not yet been tested on my coding skills . How can you judge without testing him. Actually there were no open position. They were just fooling me. Its the worst company I have ever interviewed and would not suggest anyone.

Interview

4 rounds onsite interview. I was asked about work experience and background. Some questions about Unix commands, networking knowledge, python coding test.