Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

3.1

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec.

Phone screen, followed by on site interview. On-site by 6 people from the team including the Director. Questions were not that difficult, just talk about the work experience. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked with difficult people or groups?   View Answer
    Fixed offer, no room for negotiation

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

One of their VP teaches a class at our school. Each year around the time looking for summer intern, he will send out a programming question to interested students. It is about searching in some slightly big data, programmed in C++.
    If you pass the test, you get an onsite interview. I was interviewed by 3 different people including the VP himself. All of them are programmers so the questions are all about programming in C++, working with strings and searching. They also ask about some programming tricks such as integer swapping without additional memory.
    If you do good on the interview, they send out the offer in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • About hashing and matching IP data with anonymous field, such as 127.*.*.*. Don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Recruiter call & screen. on site interviews with manager, colleagues and clients. Lots of questions around change management, company seems to be in chaotic state with a good deal of turnover at leadership and manager levels

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you have handled a change in direction for a project you were leading a large team on. What did you do   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

It began with a phone interview with the hiring manager which lasted about 15 minutes and was mostly about my C++ experience. Afterward, I was invited for the in person interview a week later. I met with the hiring manager and a software engineer and discussed my project experience and was asked some basic questions about C++. I was scheduled to meet with two additional people but was told that they were in a meeting and the interview concluded. I received an e-mail that I didn't get the position 45 minutes later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between heap and stack?   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between public, private, and protected in C++.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

I had three interviews, the first with the recruiter, then the hiring manager, and the third part in person.
    The in person process last about 4-hours and I met with all main managers in the department, this was not a technical position, so most questions were set in a situation-al ground.
    Everybody was very nice, polite and respectful.

Interview Questions
    • None.
      Asked my what i like and dislike the most about my current job.
      Asked how I feel about the commute.
        Answer Question

Software Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

Single phone interview after sending email in. Phone interview was pleasant, interviewer was receptive to emails, but I never heard back from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Very interested in my specific skill-set and where that would fit into their current needs, as opposed to hiring for general competency.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

One telephone interview
    On-site interview: 5people

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

I applied summer intern in my university's career fair. I got contacted couple of days later. I went to their company for an interview. It's basically about what they are doing testing me how I feel about it and what possible way I could improve it. Later one SDE asked two simple algorithm questions and one OOP question.

Analyst Interview

Phone screen, then a few interviews with hiring manager, HR, director

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2013.

Appeared for an on-campus (USC) interview. Was called for 2 on-site interviews (Culver City office) about 2 weeks later. Interviewer was very friendly; started with a brief overview of the position and then began the technical questions. Mostly implementation of OOPS concepts and questions involving string and array manipulation.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program to print the directory structure/hierarchy. A directory may or may not contain files or sub-directories.   Answer Question
    • Explain polymorphism and virtual functions. Implement them with an example.   Answer Question
    • Write program to remove duplicate characters from a string. Optimize it. Give different strategies to approach the problem.   Answer Question
    Salary was good enough, and they said I could also continue the internship beyond the designated 3 months (i.e along with my next semester as a co-op) if I wanted.