Symantec

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

Associate Hardware Engineer Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Pre-screening by HR recruiter
2. Phone Interview with hiring manager
3. Non-Technical Interview
4. Technical Interview
5. Hired

Interview Question – Interviewers prepared and compiled questions from all network and VM related topics.
The questions based on scenario, and you need to describe the steps of troubleshooting and fix.
Sometimes, they also ask about Linux and DOS commands such as like diskpart
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got a better offer from other team

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – The recruiter worked quickly to set up a phone screenings and an onsite interview. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. Overall, it was very pleasant.

Interview Question – Nothing really worth mentioning. =)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Basically, my desired compensation was not matched. Pretty disappointing but no hard feelings about it all.

STAR Intern Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiter at career fair, answered a couple python questions at the fair and then was scheduled for an on campus interview the day after.

At the interview, I discussed my experience for about 5 minutes and then went on to the technical portion. I answered the question correctly and the interviewer and I talked quite casually about random things. The interview itself took about 45 minutes.

Interview Question – Was asked a few C++ questions about classes and then was asked to code a function that converts a string of digits to the actual integer value (without using atoi).

ex.
string a = "1234";
int b;
//some code to make b = 1234
  Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Development Manager
Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Interview Details – There were multiple discussions with multiple people. There was an initial phone screen with HR and then a technical phone screen with a senior member of the technical staff. During the in-person interviews, I talked with multiple people about the position, each person had a different relationship and interest in the position. The interview process ended with a 1-1 interview with the person who would end up being my boss. From my experieince, it was a very typical interview process.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions tended to be situational in nature - how would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Symantec Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Symantec in July 2012.

Interview Details – Talent search committee called after weeks I posted my resume

Interview Question – Implemented a priority queue (max) on 5 pieces of white 8x11 office paper.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in June 2011.

Interview Details – I started off with a phone interview, in which I talked about my previous projects. Then I had an in person interview that lasted 3 hours.

Interview Question – They asked me how to reverse a linked list   View Answer

Software Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter due to my resume posting online. Two phone interviews, once with the recruiter, second with hiring manager. Flew out to Los Angeles and met with the staff for a day of meetings/interviews. Some were casual, like a lunch with development staff that was pretty much just feeling me out, others were more technical. Received an offer a few days after flying back home.

Interview Question – There were many logic based questions. I would later learn, after being on the other side of the interview process, that this team liked to ask very difficult or impossible questions just to see how you would try to work through them. They weren't concerned with an answer, just your ability to try and work through it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offer was substantial enough that I accepted without further negotiation. Received generous starting salary, plus full relocation and a nice stock package.

Summer Intern Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2013.

Interview Details – Appeared for an on-campus (USC) interview. Was called for 2 on-site interviews (Culver City office) about 2 weeks later. Interviewer was very friendly; started with a brief overview of the position and then began the technical questions. Mostly implementation of OOPS concepts and questions involving string and array manipulation.

Interview Questions

• Write a program to print the directory structure/hierarchy. A directory may or may not contain files or sub-directories.   Answer Question
  • Explain polymorphism and virtual functions. Implement them with an example.   Answer Question
  • Write program to remove duplicate characters from a string. Optimize it. Give different strategies to approach the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was good enough, and they said I could also continue the internship beyond the designated 3 months (i.e along with my next semester as a co-op) if I wanted.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in December 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume to a university recruitment website. Had one campus interview- fairly simple conceptual questions about object oriented programming in C and java. Moved on to four on-site interviews. First two were technical, second was personal, and last was mainly conceptual about multithreading. Interviewers and university recruitment staff were friendly- accepted an offer in Culver City.

Interview Question – Various questions about multithreading and processes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate since the offer was reasonable and competitive.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec interview questions and advice in Los Angeles, CA. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees and interview candidates.