Symantec Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

Updated Sep 13, 2014

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Recruiters asked to provide timelines for in-house interview and was not replying for 9 days. Looks like recruiters at Symantec are very busy. Finally after interview was scheduled, i had to wait between interviewers for 25 min first time, and 15 min second time. Didn't look like they are actually want me there at all.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. I asked question what do they like at Symantec, and no one could say even one positive thing - not about company, or work they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Pretty simple process. Met them at a campus career fair and followed up later with an online application. Had a quick screening call with the hr manager then one 30 minute phone interview with the department manager. Got the offer a week later. I was applying for a non-technical position so they were looking more for fit and experience than technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given 3 tasks that were impossible to complete by the deadline, what would you do?   View Answers (2)
    Minimally negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

FIP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Applied through university site, went through very casual phone interview just going over previous experience. Was then brought in for 3 back to back interviews at the campus, all asking about working on a team and attitude and mindset.

No negotiation

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in August 2013.

I was contacted by the Hiring manager through LinkedIn. We met once informally and was then called for an onsite interview. Surprisingly, HR was slow in even contacting and scheduling the interview. Hence, the Manager's Executive Admin actually setup the interviews on HR's behalf. Anyways, I met some very intelligent people during the interview. After a week, I was made an offer. When I called the HR for discussing the offer letter, I was redirected to the Hiring Manager. I discussed the offer letter and was then sent the final offer letter by HR. After a day, they RETRACTED the offer especially when I was about to accept the offer. There was no reason given and in fact the HR or anybody in the process did not have the courtesy to call and state a reason. Its a pretty extreme thing that an Offer is retracted and that too without a courtesy call and reason. When I called the people involved in process, they did not even bother to respond back. I definitely don't expect this to happen from a professional company. Can now anyone even trust this company with their future?

I am so glad that I did not inform my current manager about my offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were around my experience and hence were manageable.   Answer Question

They retracted the offer without any reason. In fact they did not have the courtesy to inform me over the phone

Big Data Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in August 2013.

Excellent HR Recruiter. Incompetent Onsite Technical Interview from UC Santa Cruz graduate. Doesn't allow you to derive answers, claims to be expert in Machine Learning. Never saw ant evidence of competence from interviewer through any demonstration of progressively focused questions.

Random questions, nothing to do with Big Data or Hadoop. Adhoc questions, nothing prepared ahead of time. He asks you to describe the projects you work on and interjects with quesions when he feels like it. As you describe the project and mentions key words he knows like "weak learner" he interjects and demands an answer. Asked what Random Forests were from my published R code, started to do derivation and was interrupted by comment, "either you know it or don't". Forced to stop answering question. A brand new conversational experience. Talked about information gain was, started to derive from link from entropy; interviewer made fake coughing sounds, forced to stop prematurely. Asked to write M/R code for duplicate elimination; he said he was going to check email on his phone. Told me to tell him when I was done. Did derivation from M/R interfaces silently. As I was writing, he interjected and said to start talking. Started to talk through interfaces using WordCount example since single reducer model doesn't scale. Never got to an explanation, told to stop as I started to talk about NullWritables.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were adhoc, random. Driven by ego to demonstrate intellectual superiority. Hard to believe anything that person builds is production stable and maintainable based on personality. Absolutely insane experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

One telephone interview