Symantec

Updated Oct 21, 2014

3.2

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec.

After the call with a knowledgeable recruiter, spoke with one of the core persons in the team. This was for the first round. First round went well with the basic set of questions. Followed up and heard the team chose another candidate.

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
    1. QA Manager.
    2. Senior Manager.
    3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
    4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in September 2011.

After short phone interview Symantec invited me for on-site interview.
    Booked a hotel in 5 minutes walk distance from the HQ. Had 6 interviews during 2 days with different team leads and technical directors.
    During the interview it was wide range of questions including technical and abstract questions, code examples, puzzles, whiteboard coding, etc.

Smaller salary comparing to what I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in February 2011.

I had two telephone interviews each of around 40 minutes and was then invited to an in person interview. The in person interview was conducted by the hiring manager and two senior technical staff where I was asked the normal gambit of software engineering questions and given white board coding exercises. I was also given a written test complete on my own in about 45 minutes. Total on site interview time was around 3 hours.

The hiring manager called me with a verbal offer, slightly over what I had asked for. So I was happy to accept the verbal offer. They then did a full background check, financial, criminal, employment, and education and took up references. Only after the background check was complete did they give me a written offer. So, there was actually three weeks between the verbal and written offers.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in August 2014.

Very unprofessional process. Cleared 4 Technical rounds and got positive feedback and hr explained the offer over phone and confirmed the offer. After two days, again she called up and said one more technical round (no company will do like this), yet i ve attended and cleared that too. Again after one week hr called up and said one more final technical round pending. cleared that also..got positive feed back again and she confirmed the offer saying that only signature is pending.. After that every 2-3 days, whenever i call up and ask for the status, she started telling stories like the guy who has to sign is on leave etc... Finally i realized its a total time waste of 8 weeks, with 6 technical rounds of interview , 2 of those are face-2-face (wasted 2 full days leave).. I will never recommend symantec, if somebody is serious about changing the job with in a time line. Very unprofessional process, and they don't even update you the feedback, unless you call up and chase them.

Interview Questions
    • Not much difficult questions i could see, the guys who interviewed me were very humble and knowledgeable. Good technical questions, but bad HR process.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Symantec.

For technical hiring
    Round 1> Telephonic round which is also the screening round. in this breadth is seen rather than the depth.
    Round 2> Logical and technical puzzle is given and analytical skill of the candidate is judged.
    Round 3> Technological mastery is probed here by going in depth of technology. Sometimes candidate is even asked to write pseudo code.

Interview Questions
    • Its unethical to disclose the questions asked during hiring here. The questions are sometime open ended with no right or wrong answer. Sometimes they are technical in nature where candidate is required to put his experience and knowledge together at work.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

- Telephonic rounds with technical questions
    - In-person interviews with several people from the team, all technical
    - In-person interview with hiring manager

Principal Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec in November 2011.

very thorough. 2 phone screens, followed by 2 half days of in person interviews with 2 people for an hour each. First 1/2 day all technical, very in depth, second 1/2 day soft skills, ending on a presentation you have to give of your choosing.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in November 2010.

Asked one design question for web proxy, and data structure question. C++ test on laptop. Asked for a short presentation on a topic. Then the usual behavioural questions, "Tell me about a time . . ."

Interview Questions
    • The C++ questions. You need to know C++ syntax in detail. There's no compiler, just an editor to enter responses.   Answer Question