Symantec Interview Questions in Pune

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.3

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2015.

I applied for Sales Analyst role. The interview process was very bad. The fist interview was over phone and they really asked some silly questions. The questions asked had no relevance to the JD. Moreover the role was not defined and they Manager and Director was unsure about the day to day activities this role demands. They made me come 30 miles stating that there would be a F2F round and HR round. But when I reached there the Director told me that the company has a policy where the candidates are not supposed to meet HR before they are selected. If that was the case then - WHY DID YOU ASK ME TO COME 30 MILES TO MEET YOU ? .... I wasted an entire day, travelled 30 lies just to hear the Director say " I just wanted to meet you in person".... if you wanted to meet me why not schedule a call over Skype

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince the GEO head to hand over work to you   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer (QA) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2015.

The process had 6 to 7 rounds of interview each one lasting for an hour.
    It took almost a month to get to know that I was not selected because of weak networking concepts. Not sure if they were looking out for a software engineer or a network engineer. I was very much open from the beginning that I am not good at networking and still they made me to go through 6 torturous rounds of technical (puzzle, dot net and project related questions) interview to let me know the weakness which I was already aware of.
    It clearly states that the interview panel is unaware of what they are looking out for. A complete waste of time. Would suggest them to be clear with what they want and not waste candidate’s valuable time if they cannot afford to pay enough.
    I was rejected in the VP round with this non sense and unacceptable reason. It seems they were hiding the real reason. I think my current CTC was very high compared to their standards. They might have got a person who can work for peanuts.
    Finally I would say a pathetic experience

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in October 2014.

First round was telephonic which went for more than an hour, and all key concepts of core java were asked - OOPS, collections - hashset, linkedlist, hashmap, sorting, multithreading, generics, singleton design pattern.
    After a day HR called to have a f2f techincal round at 9. there were 2 Interviewers and it started at 9 and went for 2 hours till 11. They gave a laptop and asked to write programs (one was realted to sorting in hashmap, other one was singleton, last one for tree). Parallely, other core java questions were being asked about OOPS concepts, multithreading, String Class, and few data structures related.
    After this, they asked me to wait. After half an hour there was another interview, again 2 people taking. Laptop was kept there which was shared in the conference room. JUnit TCs were written and I had to identify what the program is about. It was string calculator with few exceptions. I had to write a program for those JUnit TCs to pass. I wrote a program, which was able to pass all those TCs. But later they said they want a very genric one, if they wish to add few more TCs in future, it should pass. This went for 45 minutes, and they asked me to bring this program code in next interview which will happen in next week.
    Next week, again HR scheduled the interview, and I wrote a program in 5 miutes and interviewer asked few more programs to write. Parallely, few questions related to data structures, timer, wrapper classes, OS concepts were being asked. I was unable to answer 2 questions, but it looked like intervviewer was expecting me to answer everything 100% correct. This interview went for an hour and then he asked me to wait. After half an hour next interviewer came and asked me to code a program to sort employee department wise. I was able to code and finally one puzzle was given.
    Puzzle: we have 100 gates and 100 employees, Initially all gates are closed and 1st person will open all gates. 2nd person will close even number gates. 3rd person will close the opened ones/open the closed gates which are divisible by 3 and so on till 100. At the end how many gates were closed and how many are open. (HINT: answer depends on prime numbers and few more calculations).
    I was able to answer this question as well.
    After this interview, that interviewer asked me to wait. But later he came and said, manager will contact you in coming week for managerial interview.
    I waited for a week as I did not receive any call. When I tried to contact, I was told feedback is not positive.
    This was a very negative feedback from me. After so many tech rounds, they rejected saying this and when I asked to give my shortcomings, I did not get any reply.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

I have applied through recruiter. Got call from HR and invited me for the written aptitude test and symantec office. Test consists of questions on python, Java, database, android and operating system and some security related. There were also 3 algorithms to write.

After Test, there 3 technical interviews which took almost 2 weeks. One from India and other two are from onsite. 4th was with Vice president.HR was done over telephone.

One should prepared well for negotiation. If you DON'T demand, then you WON'T get it.

Android Developer/Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec in August 2014.

Interview was for an android developers position, but they really didn't / don't want someone with android as a skill. They are looking for someone with good knowledge of data structures and C. Rest they will teach. Interview was conducted as
    1. Technical Test 2. White board test 3. Online Test

Interview Questions
    • 5 code snippets were asked apart from 25 MCQ's mainly on Data structures and 3 Subjective questions again on data structures   Answer Question

Security Response Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

Symantec interview process is extensive. You ought to get frustrated & would want to kill yourself to hear the results. I gave 8 round of interviews & they reject me. I was rejected by the VP of security response team. Technical interview were fine but I don't know why they rejected me.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process started on june 23rd 2014. They called me as they had shortlisted my CV for this specific position. The first round was a written technical + aptitude round with 23 other guys. Then they shortlisted 19 of them to 2nd round. After the 2nd round they shortlisted some more. And the 2nd round it was a face to face technical interview questions about networking & little bit linux. Then my 3rd round was a panel interview with 2 guys who were really nice & threw some scripting & linux test of me. It was a nice round with them. They talked nicely & were really friendly & took some real test of me. After finishing that round I saw no one was left for interview process. I became happy but then they informed me that I will have further interviews & they will inform me. They informed me that I will have interviews with Director, VP, of security response team. After this they took 5 more rounds of interviews with the senior most person of Symantec. 3 rounds were technical & the other rounds were full HR based questions. After clearing all those rounds successfully The final round was with the VP of security response team. He took my interview. A nice guy but got rejected due to my technical skills which I had cleared earlier. MADE NO SENSE AT ALL. They finally gave me the final result after 1 month of final interviews. They took so long to gave you a NO. That doesn't make any sense at all. My final interview also went very well. but don't know why I got rejected. A piece of advice, they should rethink their interview process. They should at least focus on one person's time. They should respect a person's level of patience. They should at least have the curtsey to respond to a person if he is not selected. I followed them up like 100 times to get a NO answer. really disgusting & really no standard as of the company stands for. Really NO STABILITY. I am not posting any questions as I believe one should face the challenge on their own & not take help. i remember each questions & answer but I don't want to disclose them. REALLY VERY VERY BAD FEEDBACK FROM MY SIDE TO THIS COMPANY   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

interviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

There were 3 rounds total.
    Round 1-Telephonic
    In this they asked basics of android.
    Round 2-Practical Implementation
    I was asked to program a task in android for 2-2.5 hrs
    Round 3-Managerial Round
    1 datastructure question was asked
    1 GCM question was asked

Interview Questions
    • How to find the intersected node of two linked list?   View Answer

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

I got initial call from HR. My job profile meet their requirements exactly. There were 3 technical rounds. 1 was taken by someone from India office on phone. 2nd round from US team. 3rd round was technical programming round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program which will read an excel file data and write it to xml file after doing some calculations.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

referral hiring

1 round :: Telephonic round taken by 2 people for 1 hour, all technical stuff from your resume.

2 round :: Face to face with 2 people for 50 min, kind of technical as well as Problem solving skill and communication skills.

3 round :: With project manager, just a 5 min look up to resume, followed by some professional details of yours like last company, last salary drawn, expected salary...
    And asked me to wait for HR round next week :) hope for the best :)

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

I got selected for interview through the campus recruitment process.First round was coding and tecnical quiz.They were pretty easy.Next day they asked to come at symantec work location for interviews.Interview process consisting of two technical interviews and one hr round.Finally at the end of day they declared results.And I got the job :).

Interview Questions
    • Questions were mainly based on operating systems and data structures.   Answer Question
    no negotiation.