Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Symantec
- Software Engineer (40)
- Senior Software Engineer (36)
- Associate Software Engineer (23)
- Intern (15)
- Principal Software Engineer (15)
- Technical Support Engineer (15)
- Software Engineer Intern (12)
- SQA Engineer (7)
- Senior Technical Support Engineer (7)
- Senior Manager (7)
- Software Quality Assurance Engineer (7)
- Associate SQA Engineer (6)
- Software Developer (5)
- Senior SQA Engineer (5)
- Sales Specialist (4)
- Engineering (4)
- Sales Engineer (4)
- Sales Manager (4)
- Marketing Manager (4)
- SQA (4)
- Inside Sales Representative (4)
- Software Development Intern (3)
- Senior Systems Engineer (3)
- IT (3)
- Analyst (3)
- Senior Product Manager (3)
- Senior Product Marketing Manager (3)
- Senior QA Engineer (3)
- Program Manager (3)
- Product Manager (2)
Helpful (2)No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in July 2015.
Very lengthy process.First Round : 90 mins coding round with 2 simple codes like search in BST stuff followed by 20 MCQ's. Coding round took one day results were displayed so late. After that selection process took several rounds including problem solving, code optimisation, Data structures, UNIX basics
- BST Searching, Code Error Rectification, Logical Problems, Some basic fundamentals of CN OS Answer Question
- No OfferNegative ExperienceDifficult Interview
The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)).
Got call from HR. First round telephonic. Got feedback after almost a week that I have cleared it. 2nd, 3rd, 4th (in one day all F2F) - Technical, Questions on Resume, OOP, Data structures, Database, OS, Networking, Testing, Puzzles. After all this HR will get back to you...again after a week got feedback that you have cleared. 5th, 6th - again F2F technical and same type of questions. 7th (Manager) - some technical and manager talk. Here manager tells that after this one Vice President round is there and after that HR. VP round scheduled after almost a month and ask some random networking questions in 10 mins. No feedback after this so called to HR to here "you have not cleared VP round" Wasted almost 2 days in F2F interviews, 2 months in process and they took 7 rounds prior to VP. So these people are fools as they have given positive feedback. As a QA, these type of questions are not at all expected. Also no use of clearing with manager that dont know much about OS and networking. They are not clear what they are looking for from a person. Not sure whether thay really want to hire or just want to do some time pass. Symantec WAS a good company but now something is seriously wrong with them.
- OOP, Data structures, Database, OS, networking, testing and puzzles Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in April 2015.
I applied for a Problem Manager role. Interview was of 4 rounds. Round 1: Preliminary HR Round Round 2: Interviewed by 2 senior Problem Manager. Round 3: Interviewed by the Global Process Owner. Round 4: Interviewed by the Service Management Head. Interview was average for me but it would have been pretty difficult for others who may give the interview without without in-depth knowledge of ITIL and Problem Management.
Helpful (2)No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2015.
I applied for Sales Analyst role. The interview process was very bad. The fist interview was over phone and they really asked some silly questions. The questions asked had no relevance to the JD. Moreover the role was not defined and they Manager and Director was unsure about the day to day activities this role demands. They made me come 30 miles stating that there would be a F2F round and HR round. But when I reached there the Director told me that the company has a policy where the candidates are not supposed to meet HR before they are selected. If that was the case then - WHY DID YOU ASK ME TO COME 30 MILES TO MEET YOU ? .... I wasted an entire day, travelled 30 lies just to hear the Director say " I just wanted to meet you in person".... if you wanted to meet me why not schedule a call over Skype
- How would you convince the GEO head to hand over work to you Answer Question
Helpful (1)No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2015.
The process had 6 to 7 rounds of interview each one lasting for an hour. It took almost a month to get to know that I was not selected because of weak networking concepts. Not sure if they were looking out for a software engineer or a network engineer. I was very much open from the beginning that I am not good at networking and still they made me to go through 6 torturous rounds of technical (puzzle, dot net and project related questions) interview to let me know the weakness which I was already aware of. It clearly states that the interview panel is unaware of what they are looking out for. A complete waste of time. Would suggest them to be clear with what they want and not waste candidate’s valuable time if they cannot afford to pay enough. I was rejected in the VP round with this non sense and unacceptable reason. It seems they were hiding the real reason. I think my current CTC was very high compared to their standards. They might have got a person who can work for peanuts. Finally I would say a pathetic experience
- No OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in February 2015.
Total interview took 2+ Months. 1 Interview Telephonic Techinal lasted for an hour mostly techinal questions asked by pannel of two. Most of the questions were basic and I answered all of them 2. Interview One on One Techinal and Manager's Interview at Pune office I got this call after a month Lasted for 3 hours techinal guys again asked very basic questions related to SAP BI. Manager asked mostly management related question also discussed salary. Post this interview I thought that there would be positive outcome 3. Interview Telephonic Client's interview After a week I get a call from Symentec Madras office they schedule my client call. I recive a call from Austrilia the client interview is again smooth nothing techinal and only discussion after one month I get the news from my referal that they are not conidering my profile!!! Still don't know why??
- Mostly basic techinal Answer Question
Helpful (2)No OfferNegative ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in October 2014.
First round was telephonic which went for more than an hour, and all key concepts of core java were asked - OOPS, collections - hashset, linkedlist, hashmap, sorting, multithreading, generics, singleton design pattern. After a day HR called to have a f2f techincal round at 9. there were 2 Interviewers and it started at 9 and went for 2 hours till 11. They gave a laptop and asked to write programs (one was realted to sorting in hashmap, other one was singleton, last one for tree). Parallely, other core java questions were being asked about OOPS concepts, multithreading, String Class, and few data structures related. After this, they asked me to wait. After half an hour there was another interview, again 2 people taking. Laptop was kept there which was shared in the conference room. JUnit TCs were written and I had to identify what the program is about. It was string calculator with few exceptions. I had to write a program for those JUnit TCs to pass. I wrote a program, which was able to pass all those TCs. But later they said they want a very genric one, if they wish to add few more TCs in future, it should pass. This went for 45 minutes, and they asked me to bring this program code in next interview which will happen in next week. Next week, again HR scheduled the interview, and I wrote a program in 5 miutes and interviewer asked few more programs to write. Parallely, few questions related to data structures, timer, wrapper classes, OS concepts were being asked. I was unable to answer 2 questions, but it looked like intervviewer was expecting me to answer everything 100% correct. This interview went for an hour and then he asked me to wait. After half an hour next interviewer came and asked me to code a program to sort employee department wise. I was able to code and finally one puzzle was given. Puzzle: we have 100 gates and 100 employees, Initially all gates are closed and 1st person will open all gates. 2nd person will close even number gates. 3rd person will close the opened ones/open the closed gates which are divisible by 3 and so on till 100. At the end how many gates were closed and how many are open. (HINT: answer depends on prime numbers and few more calculations). I was able to answer this question as well. After this interview, that interviewer asked me to wait. But later he came and said, manager will contact you in coming week for managerial interview. I waited for a week as I did not receive any call. When I tried to contact, I was told feedback is not positive. This was a very negative feedback from me. After so many tech rounds, they rejected saying this and when I asked to give my shortcomings, I did not get any reply.
- Puzzle Answer Question
Helpful (6)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)).
I have applied through recruiter. Got call from HR and invited me for the written aptitude test and symantec office. Test consists of questions on python, Java, database, android and operating system and some security related. There were also 3 algorithms to write. After Test, there 3 technical interviews which took almost 2 weeks. One from India and other two are from onsite. 4th was with Vice president.HR was done over telephone.
One should prepared well for negotiation. If you DON'T demand, then you WON'T get it.
- No OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in August 2014.
Interview was for an android developers position, but they really didn't / don't want someone with android as a skill. They are looking for someone with good knowledge of data structures and C. Rest they will teach. Interview was conducted as 1. Technical Test 2. White board test 3. Online Test
- 5 code snippets were asked apart from 25 MCQ's mainly on Data structures and 3 Subjective questions again on data structures Answer Question
- No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in June 2014.
Symantec interview process is extensive. You ought to get frustrated & would want to kill yourself to hear the results. I gave 8 round of interviews & they reject me. I was rejected by the VP of security response team. Technical interview were fine but I don't know why they rejected me.
- The interview process started on june 23rd 2014. They called me as they had shortlisted my CV for this specific position. The first round was a written technical + aptitude round with 23 other guys. Then they shortlisted 19 of them to 2nd round. After the 2nd round they shortlisted some more. And the 2nd round it was a face to face technical interview questions about networking & little bit linux. Then my 3rd round was a panel interview with 2 guys who were really nice & threw some scripting & linux test of me. It was a nice round with them. They talked nicely & were really friendly & took some real test of me. After finishing that round I saw no one was left for interview process. I became happy but then they informed me that I will have further interviews & they will inform me. They informed me that I will have interviews with Director, VP, of security response team. After this they took 5 more rounds of interviews with the senior most person of Symantec. 3 rounds were technical & the other rounds were full HR based questions. After clearing all those rounds successfully The final round was with the VP of security response team. He took my interview. A nice guy but got rejected due to my technical skills which I had cleared earlier. MADE NO SENSE AT ALL. They finally gave me the final result after 1 month of final interviews. They took so long to gave you a NO. That doesn't make any sense at all. My final interview also went very well. but don't know why I got rejected. A piece of advice, they should rethink their interview process. They should at least focus on one person's time. They should respect a person's level of patience. They should at least have the curtsey to respond to a person if he is not selected. I followed them up like 100 times to get a NO answer. really disgusting & really no standard as of the company stands for. Really NO STABILITY. I am not posting any questions as I believe one should face the challenge on their own & not take help. i remember each questions & answer but I don't want to disclose them. REALLY VERY VERY BAD FEEDBACK FROM MY SIDE TO THIS COMPANY 1 Answer
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review