Symantec

2.9

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

SQA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

The university recruiter called me up saying she received my resume through our school's career fair. The initial phone screen was about 30 minutes. The hiring manager talked about their product and the teams. Then asked the usual java questions such as difference between interface and abstract class, and others. Then an on-site was scheduled at the SF office. I went down there on-time. In total, there were 3 rounds, each of which was conducted by two interviewers together. They asked the usual SQA-related questions found on the internet. The HM took me for a lunch at a nice-place. Got an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a sample web-application components. Explain your testing plan for each component.   View Answer
    The pay-package was what I wanted and didn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
    1. QA Manager.
    2. Senior Manager.
    3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
    4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in November 2013.

one phone, one on campus, two onsite

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

Started with a phone interview where we discussed the job role and how my background could apply to the position. Was told over the phone that they would like me to come in and meet them. Met manager in person, casual interview, just a formality because the phone interview went so well. It was a good moment when I knew leaving Symantec that I probably got the job.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't able to negotiate because I was told the pay was firm

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
    During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Questions
    • couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question
    I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Hiring process went good initially. Got a call from HR since they got my resume from LinkedIn. Interview process was scheduled and I was set for phonecall interview in few days. Phone interview lasted for ~50mins with technical questions about writing test cases , troubleshooting etc. No programming questions over the phone and infact one who interviewed me was principal QA and said there isnt any programming experience required apart from understanding Java tests. No writing code. I was more leaned towards Automation but that wasn't a problem for me. Now the beginning of worst experience and worst hiring process by Symantec begins...

After my first round of interview there wasnt any response from HR for atleast a week and half. On my repeated follow-up with HR there was no response and finally after 13 days, I hear from my recuiter that they would like me to come for an onsite interview. Reason for delay was the person who interviewed me went for a vacation and didnt submit any feedback..Great...

Onsite interview Experience: I reached about 15mins late cos I genuinly had a flat tire yet the first two interviewers wouldnt take my excuse. On their inquiry on where do I come from and knowing that its a 1 hour commute in train, one of the lady interviewer says "oh thats not too far " and I am like "Ya just an hour one way--nuts...

They had a worst look ever in their face filled with Attitude...Asked me couple of questions with some what if : troubleshooting scenarios over the white board. Answered them and two other rounds went fine.

Now comes the round with principal QA engineer along with one other automation engg. Right away asked me to write a ATOI function (convert strings of integer to an integer - Eg convert string "1234" to 1234 in language I preferred.

Second question was to write java program to copy file from one location to another.

It's been more than 3 weeks and the HR has not even bothered to get back to me. No response yet...

Excellent symantec Inc

Interview Questions
    • Programming questions by person who didnt look for any programming experience.   View Answer

There isnt any response yet and I dont want to work with company where peopel are filled with Attitude and cannot give a chance/honest feedback...

People really think twice

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in February 2013.

Phone interview and on-site interview

not yet.

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in January 2013.

Symantec DLP in San Francisco is hiring Mobile Engineers and so I got a chance to meet with the team for a few hours during a recent on-site interview.

Much of Symantec can be found down in Silicon Valley but this San Francisco outpost is the result of Symantec purchasing Vontu back in 2007. They take up at least three floors of a building in SOMA.

The brief glimpse I got of the office environment were that everyone was in a mostly open-plan environment with very short cubicle walls. Everything seems pretty modern (exposed ceiling with pipes, opaque and transparent glass, etc.). There was a nice looking auditorium area downstairs from the main lobby/reception area on the 10th floor. The interview itself was in a small meeting room with a white board. I met with three sets of two people -- for me it was always a developer and a QA person to go with him -- and the hiring manager. The engineers I spoke would only give me a vague idea of what the actual job I was interviewing for was all about, and the hiring manager couldn't disclose too much as well. It may have been that the group is still defining what needs to be done, or they might be keeping these new developments extremely close to their chest (competitive pressures being what they are). Either way the fuzziness of this particular job requirement was somewhat of a turn off.

Since they don't have deep expertise in the world of mobile computing, the questions were kept to high level computer science concepts. The matrix question was the (surprisingly) toughest one for me to conquer under the job interview pressure, and judging from the reaction of the two guys, I'm guessing this will be my "thumbs down" vote.

But hopefully my experience flunking the interview will help you to properly prepare to pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions
    • given a matrix where the numbers ascend both in rows & columns, e.g.

1 3 5 7 9
      11 13 15 18 20
      22 24 26 28 30
      31 33 36 38 39
      42 44 47 49 50

If you're asked to write a function that provides a boolean (YES or NO) answer to "does this number exist in this matrix", explain how you would design an algorithm to be most optimal.

View Answers (2)
    • Design a stack implementation that has "push", "pop" and "peek" functions (look at the top-most value of the stack without popping it off the stack), and then design a function that tells the caller what the "minimum" value in the stack will be.   View Answer

SQA Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Had a phone interview which was technical questions
    Then a in person interview (3 rounds)- first was technical, second creative, and third behavior based with manager .

Interview Questions
    • Describe all the things that can go wrong with an iPhone development and an Expo marker.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate.