Symantec

Updated Dec 21, 2014
Updated Dec 21, 2014

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Apply in school job fair. Then receive a email to arrange an half day interview with 3 department managers. Each manager have interview for about 45 minutes. There was a 5 minutes break between each manager. After all interview, they arrange a lunch and campus tour to all the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer complain about the website feature, what will you do?   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

First recruiter from Symantec contacted me. Very quick to arrange a phone interview. First phone interview by very junior developer. Very basic questions such as difference between Java and C++. Next programming assignment on hacker rank. This was sent the same day. After finishing the assignment, was called for on-site interview.
    On-Site interview scheduled for 5 interviewers. Only 4 showed up. I was told, there will be a followup interview to meet the director etc. but never happened. No interview feedback provided.

Interview Questions
    • how bitly shortens the URLs
      How do you delete a node in BST
      write code that causes deadlock
      Explain Java Memory Model

Answer Question

Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Recruiters asked to provide timelines for in-house interview and was not replying for 9 days. Looks like recruiters at Symantec are very busy. Finally after interview was scheduled, i had to wait between interviewers for 25 min first time, and 15 min second time. Didn't look like they are actually want me there at all.

Interview Questions
    • None unexpected. I asked question what do they like at Symantec, and no one could say even one positive thing - not about company, or work they do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in May 2014.

Pretty simple process. Met them at a campus career fair and followed up later with an online application. Had a quick screening call with the hr manager then one 30 minute phone interview with the department manager. Got the offer a week later. I was applying for a non-technical position so they were looking more for fit and experience than technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • If you were given 3 tasks that were impossible to complete by the deadline, what would you do?   View Answers (2)
    Minimally negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

2 rounds - tech
    and behavioural
    got call hrough college recruiting process took 3 weeks to respond and schedule the interview.
    expected questions based on what is on your resume or whatever language you prefer to answer

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in April 2014.

One phone call... on site with 3 others..questions were basic java...they asked me about my projects..i explained them all..then they asked normal testing questions..test frameworks..also one or two puzzles to solve

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

They gave me an interview from a career Fair, a month or so later i received an email that was fairly badly written asking for an interview.

I went and they asked about conversion of mb to KB and pb and a method that could do it. Also asked about the Fibonacci sequence.

Nice environment and people, seemed very business like.

Interview Questions
    • Fibonacci recursively and iteratively   Answer Question
    • What is java brief down into before it's compiled?   View Answer
    • Convert kilobytes, megabytes, bytes and petabytes to each other from user input of size of data   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions
    • They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

FIP Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec.

Applied through university site, went through very casual phone interview just going over previous experience. Was then brought in for 3 back to back interviews at the campus, all asking about working on a team and attitude and mindset.

No negotiation