Symantec

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Hiring manager through LinkedIn. We met once informally and was then called for an onsite interview. Surprisingly, HR was slow in even contacting and scheduling the interview. Hence, the Manager's Executive Admin actually setup the interviews on HR's behalf. Anyways, I met some very intelligent people during the interview. After a week, I was made an offer. When I called the HR for discussing the offer letter, I was redirected to the Hiring Manager. I discussed the offer letter and was then sent the final offer letter by HR. After a day, they RETRACTED the offer especially when I was about to accept the offer. There was no reason given and in fact the HR or anybody in the process did not have the courtesy to call and state a reason. Its a pretty extreme thing that an Offer is retracted and that too without a courtesy call and reason. When I called the people involved in process, they did not even bother to respond back. I definitely don't expect this to happen from a professional company. Can now anyone even trust this company with their future?

I am so glad that I did not inform my current manager about my offer.

Interview Question – Questions were around my experience and hence were manageable.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They retracted the offer without any reason. In fact they did not have the courtesy to inform me over the phone

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in March 2011.

Interview Details – Interestingly, I didn't know anyone at the company and submitted by resume through their website. I was phone screened by a very engaging staff recruiter and we clicked so she put me straight through to the hiring manager. We also clicked, and I came in for one day of interview with about 5 (?) people, most senior to me. They were all very sharp, but also very easy to talk with so I was never nervous.

Interview Question – Honestly, I can't think of one because it was more like a series of conversations rather than an interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told the salary from the very beginning so there was no negotiation -- but the hiring manager did give me a $10k bump at the end.

Senior Product Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2010.

Interview Details – I got into the interview process through my personal network -- a former colleague that works at Symantec provided my resume to the appropriate people at Symantec. I got called by a recruiter and had a brief phone interview with her about available positions and their possible fit with my background. She only asked a few questions about my background and why I want to work at Symantec as well as some questions about salary compensation. She was pretty upfront about their salary range for the positions available. Next I had a phone interview with the hiring manager, which was also pretty straightforward, questions about my background, fit with the job, description of the position and so on. Then I got called for an on-site interview. I was scheduled to speak with 3 or 4 people, including the hiring manager. All interviews took place in the same conference room. One interview was a conference call with a remote location. I think one person was unavailable. The interviews were all pretty standard stuff, talking about the job, the environment, my background and interests, etc. Everybody was professional and cordial. I was also asked to provide a writing sample which I later on emailed them.

The one thing that impressed me about Symantec product marketing is that they seem to have made a very big investment/bet on the 'buyer persona' framework. I think they'd done a lot of work with Pragmatic Marketing and Adelle Revella. But cannot remember quite the details. That would be a big plus to working there as a product marketing professional -- being focused on customer-centric models and building some sound discipline knowledge. I don't know if this is all translating into action within the company, but at least the intention is there.

Other than that, from what I could gauge in the elevator, halls and the people I spoke with, Symantec strikes me like a pretty low-key work-place, almost a 9-5 kind of environment. People do not seem that enthusiastic about their jobs or workplace. It feels almost like a government office. Does not seem like it would be an exciting or particularly fulfilling place to work at.

From a process stand-point, there were a couple of hick-ups. First off, they had some sort of an internal mix-up and expected me on a completely different day from what had been agreed to via email. So I got some frantic calls on the wrong day along the line of "where are you -- we are expecting you for an interview"... I thought that was a bit lame. Also, when they decided they were not going with me, they did not bother to inform me. I sent thank you email messages and nobody responded. I had to email the recruiter at least once to find out their decision. I guess that seems pretty standard for companies, reading some of the reviews on here, but that doesn't make it any more professional...

Interview Questions

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!