Symantec

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in September 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process went good initially. Got a call from HR since they got my resume from LinkedIn. Interview process was scheduled and I was set for phonecall interview in few days. Phone interview lasted for ~50mins with technical questions about writing test cases , troubleshooting etc. No programming questions over the phone and infact one who interviewed me was principal QA and said there isnt any programming experience required apart from understanding Java tests. No writing code. I was more leaned towards Automation but that wasn't a problem for me. Now the beginning of worst experience and worst hiring process by Symantec begins...

After my first round of interview there wasnt any response from HR for atleast a week and half. On my repeated follow-up with HR there was no response and finally after 13 days, I hear from my recuiter that they would like me to come for an onsite interview. Reason for delay was the person who interviewed me went for a vacation and didnt submit any feedback..Great...

Onsite interview Experience: I reached about 15mins late cos I genuinly had a flat tire yet the first two interviewers wouldnt take my excuse. On their inquiry on where do I come from and knowing that its a 1 hour commute in train, one of the lady interviewer says "oh thats not too far " and I am like "Ya just an hour one way--nuts...

They had a worst look ever in their face filled with Attitude...Asked me couple of questions with some what if : troubleshooting scenarios over the white board. Answered them and two other rounds went fine.

Now comes the round with principal QA engineer along with one other automation engg. Right away asked me to write a ATOI function (convert strings of integer to an integer - Eg convert string "1234" to 1234 in language I preferred.

Second question was to write java program to copy file from one location to another.

It's been more than 3 weeks and the HR has not even bothered to get back to me. No response yet...

Excellent symantec Inc

Interview Question – Programming questions by person who didnt look for any programming experience.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – There isnt any response yet and I dont want to work with company where peopel are filled with Attitude and cannot give a chance/honest feedback...

People really think twice

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in August 2009.

Interview Details – 1) Phone screen. Qa Manger spoke about various details of what they do. Asked me about my background and my experience with UNIX other technologies.
Bought me in for a face to face. Qa Manger again and explained the test scenarios. Two teams of 2, asked several questions about File Sharing, Software Coding in UNIX scripting, C# coding problems. Overall they asked good questions for a QA job.

Interview Question – Types of shell scripts   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Choose an offer with Apple. MORE MONEY

Pune (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty fast. But Person who interviewed me was not having domain knowledge. He was having his own preconceived wrong fundamentals. He asked me few stupid questions and then another manager asked few questions. Asked me to write one tricky DB query. But he was not happy with answer I have provided. Overall experience was too bad.

Interview Question – Do you work on agile ? Describe the process you follow.   View Answer

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!