Symantec

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Senior SQA Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process even though straight forward was little bit unprofessional. The interview consisted of two phone interviews. The first interview (on phone) was with the Recruiter who had reached out to me on a professional social networking site. He basically check listed my skills and gauged my interest in the position. The second interview (on phone) was with the Hiring Manager. The interviewer even though very pleasant and was more interested in exact solutions rather then the methods themselves. After 5 minutes in the interview, both of us realized that I was not a good fit for this position. The position they were looking to fill was more towards debugging customer issues rather than data or software quality analysis. The recruiter followed up with an hour of interview to let me know that they are not going to proceed further.
The whole set up was handled little unprofessionally. The Recruiter set up the initial interview and never called up because of some other commitments. There was no update or message to let me know that the call was rescheduled. Also, when he sent out the rejection email, he just forwarded me the email he had sent out to previous candidate, including that candidate's email address and phone number!
Given the way they treat candidates, not respecting their time or efforts, I am not sure how they would have treated me if I had been employed. Also, I got a feeling that this company tries to fit an ideal job for a given candidate rather recruiting an ideal candidate for the position they have. Given that I am currently employed, and really like my current position, I am not terribly disappointed that it didn't work out.

Interview Questions

• What's the UNIX command for changing file permissions?   View Answer
  • What are some of the test cases for copy - paste functionality in a text editor?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Senior SQA Engineer
Pune (India)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process is based on how well you follow instructions

Interview Question – It was not difficult, but it was the most difficult question based on their IQ: How will you test copy command?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate but it was not a positive experience

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!