Symantec

Getting the Interview

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Interview Question – None, everything was pretty easy   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Question – Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Interview Details – Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Question – questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Question – couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Interview Details – Focus on technical a lot.. and look for soft & behaviourial skills

Interview Question – Manage GDM model located across geographies in varying time zones   Answer Question

Maryland City, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2009.

Interview Details – Run over my resume
Describe current work
Reason for change

Interview Question – I was handling current work independently - so how did I manage perceptions and ensure things are getting done   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated during the 1 on 1 call about my current salary and got a competitive salary offer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – First phone interview, followed by 4 rounds of onsite interview and then 1 more phone interview.
Don't feel comfortable when a junior engineer asking a list of questions written on a piece of paper.

Interview Question – No challenging questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Getting promotions is very difficult, so don't compromise if position offered is less than you expected

Lindon, UT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in September 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process was ok, but they made us take a 5 hour test that was just ridiculous.

Interview Question – The test on all of the acronyms, I knew what they meant but not what the initials stood for on some.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was called by recruiter as they liked my resumer. She thought I am better fit for one of server backend development teams. So, inerview was scheduled with backend team which creates force framework.
Phone interview lasted an hour with questions mainly on databases, internet working and programming questions. I am good at java so I could answer most of the java questions. I answered even most of the database questions, I solved database problem with only one solution. Interviewer wanted me to tell other solutions as well. I couldn't answer some UI questions about AJAX that's where I think I lost opportunity.
Overall experience was great, process was fast and replies were prompt and courteous.

Interview Question – Database problem about creating joins table   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Symantec

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees and interview candidates.