Symantec

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

Interview Details – initial screening, culture fit and few technical questions. free food. formal dress code. friendly atmosphere, nice location. questions are mostly cultural fit. not too much technical questions.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Interview Question – None, everything was pretty easy   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Question – Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Interview Details – Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Question – questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Question – couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Interview Details – Focus on technical a lot.. and look for soft & behaviourial skills

Interview Question – Manage GDM model located across geographies in varying time zones   Answer Question

Maryland City, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2009.

Interview Details – Run over my resume
Describe current work
Reason for change

Interview Question – I was handling current work independently - so how did I manage perceptions and ensure things are getting done   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated during the 1 on 1 call about my current salary and got a competitive salary offer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – First phone interview, followed by 4 rounds of onsite interview and then 1 more phone interview.
Don't feel comfortable when a junior engineer asking a list of questions written on a piece of paper.

Interview Question – No challenging questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Getting promotions is very difficult, so don't compromise if position offered is less than you expected

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!