Symantec Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

initial screening, culture fit and few technical questions. free food. formal dress code. friendly atmosphere, nice location. questions are mostly cultural fit. not too much technical questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Questions
    • questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
    During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Questions
    • couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question
    I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Focus on technical a lot.. and look for soft & behaviourial skills

Interview Questions
    • Manage GDM model located across geographies in varying time zones   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maryland City, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maryland City, MD

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2009.

Run over my resume
    Describe current work
    Reason for change

Interview Questions
    • I was handling current work independently - so how did I manage perceptions and ensure things are getting done   Answer Question
    I negotiated during the 1 on 1 call about my current salary and got a competitive salary offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

First phone interview, followed by 4 rounds of onsite interview and then 1 more phone interview.
    Don't feel comfortable when a junior engineer asking a list of questions written on a piece of paper.

Interview Questions
    Getting promotions is very difficult, so don't compromise if position offered is less than you expected

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!