Symantec

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

Interview Details – initial screening, culture fit and few technical questions. free food. formal dress code. friendly atmosphere, nice location. questions are mostly cultural fit. not too much technical questions.

Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Culver City, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Interview Question – Detail java questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Interview Question – None, everything was pretty easy   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Question – Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Interview Details – Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Question – questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Question – couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Senior Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in January 2009.

Interview Details – Focus on technical a lot.. and look for soft & behaviourial skills

Interview Question – Manage GDM model located across geographies in varying time zones   Answer Question

Maryland City, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in November 2009.

Interview Details – Run over my resume
Describe current work
Reason for change

Interview Question – I was handling current work independently - so how did I manage perceptions and ensure things are getting done   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated during the 1 on 1 call about my current salary and got a competitive salary offer

Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

Interview Details – First phone interview, followed by 4 rounds of onsite interview and then 1 more phone interview.
Don't feel comfortable when a junior engineer asking a list of questions written on a piece of paper.

Interview Question – No challenging questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Getting promotions is very difficult, so don't compromise if position offered is less than you expected

Interviews for Top Jobs at Symantec

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!

Symantec Videos

Symantec – Why Work for Us?

​​What do Symantec employees have in common? We are passionate about what we do and contribute to something really important! We protect the world’s digital information and interactions. At Symantec, you will enjoy an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Symantec Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Symantec employees and interview candidates.