Symantec

Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in July 2014.

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week.

The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions.

Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.'

The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical.

The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing.

The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec.

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers.

I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y."

At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec.

Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Questions
    • Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in February 2014.

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Symantec in October 2013.

3 phone interviews - first with the manager and other two with software developers. After that I was called onsite for 4 hours of interviews.
    During the phone and onsite interviews, I was asked questions related to all different technologies that is needed for the role.

Interview Questions
    • couple interviews were tough. Other were okay and manageable.   Answer Question
    I got a reasonable offer so I accepted without negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

First phone interview, followed by 4 rounds of onsite interview and then 1 more phone interview.
    Don't feel comfortable when a junior engineer asking a list of questions written on a piece of paper.

Interview Questions
    Getting promotions is very difficult, so don't compromise if position offered is less than you expected

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Too many rounds of interviews, lack of quick turn around time,

Interview Questions
    • questions are not based on the projects which we were doing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in September 2011.

I was called by recruiter as they liked my resumer. She thought I am better fit for one of server backend development teams. So, inerview was scheduled with backend team which creates force framework.
    Phone interview lasted an hour with questions mainly on databases, internet working and programming questions. I am good at java so I could answer most of the java questions. I answered even most of the database questions, I solved database problem with only one solution. Interviewer wanted me to tell other solutions as well. I couldn't answer some UI questions about AJAX that's where I think I lost opportunity.
    Overall experience was great, process was fast and replies were prompt and courteous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec in September 2010.

The hiring process was ok, but they made us take a 5 hour test that was just ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • The test on all of the acronyms, I knew what they meant but not what the initials stood for on some.   Answer Question