Symantec Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 31, 2015

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Submitted my resume through their careers portal and was approached by a recruiter for scheduling a telephonic round. In the telephonic round I was interviewed by another engineer of the team who showed little interested in interviewing me and was constantly typing and speaking with another person while I was responding to his question. Advice: Don't force anyone to interview if they don't have interest.

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Interview

The first technical phone screen was pretty much simple, touching on previous projects and java basics. Then there was a homework problem and given 75 mins to solve that. The onsite was scheduled for 3 hours, but the first person to interview me could not be present due to issues he was facing at work. At the end, I was called for the second round directly after waiting for an hour. And even after that round, there was no one available to interview me, which looked pretty unprofessional on their side. Not sure if this is a one time thing or a common recurring thing. But I could not perform upto expectations in that round , and it not able to get a chance to interview the remaining rounds in the same day proved to be a negative factor in deciding my candidacy(atleast that is what I think). I was rejected after that round and not called after that.

Interview Questions

• Count paths in a matrix, write algorithm to design a boggle game   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in December 2014.

Interview

Coolest Interview process ever I had. 7 rounds of interview which includes assignment on MySQL as well. Screening questions done by Team leads and the three hours of technical round with IIT folks ranging across all platform and sectors. And then, quick assignment to be completed on MySQL Performance tuning areana and review meeting with Management teams. Be prepared for long process and worth a try. Selected Finally!!!

Interview Questions

• Design a DB for Facebook to maintain the newsfeeds, bulk comments, photos and videos..   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

First recruiter from Symantec contacted me. Very quick to arrange a phone interview. First phone interview by very junior developer. Very basic questions such as difference between Java and C++. Next programming assignment on hacker rank. This was sent the same day. After finishing the assignment, was called for on-site interview. On-Site interview scheduled for 5 interviewers. Only 4 showed up. I was told, there will be a followup interview to meet the director etc. but never happened. No interview feedback provided.

Interview Questions

• how bitly shortens the URLs How do you delete a node in BST write code that causes deadlock Explain Java Memory Model   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview followed a few days later by a technical phone interview. About 2 weeks after the technical phone interview, I had a onsite interview that consisted of another behavioral phone interview and 3 technical interviews. The interview process was moderately challenging, but fair, and I liked the people I met. About 6 weeks after my onsite interview I hadn't heard anything from Symantec, so I contacted them and was told someone would get back to me. Another 2 weeks go by, and I made another attempt to contact them, and got the same answer. About 4 months later, the status of my application on the Symantec jobs website changed to “No Longer Under Consideration”. I was never contacted by anyone after my onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical phone interview consisted mostly of testing my knowledge of C++. The onsite interviews were mostly design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a former colleague, mentioning that Symantec is having a very hard time finding C++ developers, and asking if I would be interested. He sent me a referral and a recruiter contacted me the next day. Two phone calls to talk about the position was scheduled for the next day, and then a technical phone interview was scheduled for later that week. The initial phone call was just the recruiter reiterating the job description. They asked some very easy multiple choice technical questions and what my expected salary was. I mentioned that I noticed some other positions might be a closer match to my skills, and the recruiter told me that if this position wasn't a good fit, they would refer me to the groups with the other positions. Some minor red flags were raised here, but only one made me consider stopping the interview process: when I mentioned I'd expect a bit more compensation to make up for a much longer commute, they just laughed and said 'oh, no, we won't give you more money because you have to commute.' The second phone call was with the hiring manager. He asked some open and 'Tell me about a time when...' questions. There wasn't really anything technical. The third phone call was a technical interview with a developer. It didn't cover much; there were a few more technical 'Tell me about a time when...' questions, and then I was asked to write code that does some basic text processing. The third interview ended with the interviewer telling me that the recruiter would get back to me the next day to schedule an in-person interview, but I didn't receive any subsequent communications. I think this might have been because my expected salary was too high.

Interview Questions

• Describe a scenario where you changed a data structure or algorithm to improve performance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA).

Interview

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Posted my resume on a few career websites and got contacted by an internal recruiter. Pretty fast process. 1 phone interview, then 4 on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Normal Java, SQL, OO interview questions.   Answer Question

I've been in the industry for 5+ years and graduating with my MS, so even though the offer was better than my then-current job, it was below other Silicon Valley offers. I didn't like this particular recruiter. I've been with the same company outside of the Bay Area for 5+ years, so my salary was severely below market rate. When the recruiter called to discuss an offer, and I gave my number, he pretty much told me "Your current salary is X, how it works in the industry is that by switching job, you'd get a 5-10% raise, so your next salary should be around Y." At that time, I already got a much better un-negotiated offer from another Silicon Valley company (+30% raise, signing bonus, RSU), but I resisted the urge to laugh and give it straight to him. I just diplomatically decline the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Found the job advertisement on Craigslist. Applied online. They had invited all potential interviewees to the HQ. Interviewers were expected to carry their resumes (which I had forgotten and had to spend 45 min. finding a Kinko's nearby). The interview lasted about half an hour. Questions were standard, with curve balls whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Query optimization techniques. ASP.NET validators. String vs. StringBuilder. Given a list of requirements, what would be the next steps. Design Patterns.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Interview Questions

• None, everything was pretty easy   1 Answer