Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014

3.1

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

HR called and set up a phone interview then was called for onsite.
There were 3 onsite interview
1. Coding interview where they asked to do tree traversal
2. Coding interview where they made me do directory traversal
3. Testing interview where I was given a scenario which I had to write test cases for

They gave me 10000 more than I asked but in Stocks

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed in September 2010. Had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice to talk to. Started with a discussion of project mentioned on my resume. Asked basic questions about C coding such as static variables, auto variables, register variables. Stack vs heap. Memory allocation. Structure vs union. Ended with a brief discussion of the position.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec.

I applied at a job fair. They contacted me back in about 1 month for one of the security teams. I had to go through a lot of hoops in terms of contacting HR. They were not very responsive in terms of returning e-mails.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview they ask a lot of questions relating to hash maps, trees etc, some algorithms stuff and well experience you have.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

On-campus interview. Questions on implementing fibonacci and palindrome. Then a couple of questions on recursion vs. iteration and memory allocation in C++.

Software Engineer Interview

I talked to one of their recruiting representatives at the univ career fair, and then after three weeks, I got a call from one of the hiring manager requesting for an on-site interview. On the interview day, I meet 6 persons including the hiring manger, half an hour for each interviewer. They mainly asked project experience from the resume and coding problems. Some of them also asked about some system design questions and brain teaser questions. I followed up after two weeks, no one replied my email.

Interview Questions
    • a system design question about client and server design and the speed limits. You need to consider both the hardware part and software part, also need to know some virtualization techs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

It began with a phone interview with the hiring manager which lasted about 15 minutes and was mostly about my C++ experience. Afterward, I was invited for the in person interview a week later. I met with the hiring manager and a software engineer and discussed my project experience and was asked some basic questions about C++. I was scheduled to meet with two additional people but was told that they were in a meeting and the interview concluded. I received an e-mail that I didn't get the position 45 minutes later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between heap and stack?   Answer Question
    • Explain the difference between public, private, and protected in C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Was referred to the hiring manager, contacted him, and set up an interview. Interview was 1 on 4, and consisted of mainly technical questions, also some code writing on a whiteboard, and a couple more standard questions as well. Interview went well, and they indicated they'd get an offer out to me within a couple days. One month later, an offer finally arrived, but by that time I had already accepted elsewhere. They have a nice building and nice staff, but I got the feeling that they are severely understaffed and highly stressed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding the security vulnerabilities in our 2 million lines of code?   Answer Question

Took longer than promised to receive the official offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Symantec in July 2011.

I was contacted by the HR , who asked few questions about my resume. She asked me some questions about DNS. I was interviewed for the next round, which was mostly on C++. Questions ranged from basic definitions like polymorphism, copy constructors, virtual, mutable keywords to multi threading and deadlock concepts. It took place for 45 mins.The next round of technical interview was also a 45 min interview, a bit more in-depth. Questions were related to algorithms, complexity, sorting techniques, etc. I was asked to solve an in-place array sorting program in O(n) complexity. The last round was a 20 minute interview, which mostly concentrated on general questions. They gave me a situation about multi processors and asked me how I would tackle the situation. Some questions on multithreading and operating systems.

I felt a positive vibe through all my interviews. After the last interview, they never contacted me. They didn't even bother to reply to my emails. I felt it was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • virtual, mutable and const keywords. Examples of their usage. Virtual destructors? Multi threading concepts.   Answer Question
    • Heap sort, algorithms, complexities   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Symantec in June 2011.

recruiter called me. I passed the phone interview of 1 hour.
    I went on to a face to face interview at their office in Culver City, 6 people including the Hiring Manager, taking 45 minutes on each person. All the guys interviewed me were young, in their early 30, very friendly.
    Questions were mostly about algorithms and data structure. Interview went ok but I haven't heard from them for 2 weeks. Checked with recruiter and got update that they didn't offer the position, citing looking for more senior one.

Interview Questions
    • how to detect cycle in linked list   View Answers (3)
    • print out binary tree's nodes in certain layout (it was in order traversal)   View Answer
    • print out nodes of a binary tree by levels. i.e., all nodes on level 1, then all nodes on level 1, then all nodes on level 2, etc.   View Answer
    • convert the result of 7^n (7 to the Nth) to string   View Answers (3)
    • find lowest common ancestor of 2 nodes in a binary tree   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in February 2009.

Everything moved very quickly. Manager was very motivated and lobbied for higher money and perm position. One phone interview and then a site visit meeting with 3 pairs of people. All very nice. People, office and culture are nice. Have an office which is rare in Silicon Valley.

Interview Questions
    Received considerably higher rate than initially offered, but I am experienced and know the value of what I bring. manager lobbied for a permanent position, because that was my preference. However, company eliminated all employee slots so a contract was all that was available.

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!