Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec in March 2015.

totally 2 rounds of telephone interview, first round is just something about resume, the interviewer asked some question about my project design and detail. No programming questions.
Second round is of some programming questions and some concept questions about OO programming, hashtable and etc, both rounds are about half hour. On average the interview is not so difficult and the people are nice and very easy to talk to. Good experience.

Interview Questions
  • Describe the difference between hashmap and hashtable   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Software Engineer Interview

HR called and set up a phone interview then was called for onsite.
    There were 3 onsite interview
    1. Coding interview where they asked to do tree traversal
    2. Coding interview where they made me do directory traversal
    3. Testing interview where I was given a scenario which I had to write test cases for

They gave me 10000 more than I asked but in Stocks

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed in September 2010. Had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice to talk to. Started with a discussion of project mentioned on my resume. Asked basic questions about C coding such as static variables, auto variables, register variables. Stack vs heap. Memory allocation. Structure vs union. Ended with a brief discussion of the position.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symantec in March 2014.

They gave me an interview from a career Fair, a month or so later i received an email that was fairly badly written asking for an interview.

I went and they asked about conversion of mb to KB and pb and a method that could do it. Also asked about the Fibonacci sequence.

Nice environment and people, seemed very business like.

Interview Questions
    • Fibonacci recursively and iteratively   Answer Question
    • What is java brief down into before it's compiled?   View Answer
    • Convert kilobytes, megabytes, bytes and petabytes to each other from user input of size of data   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec.

I applied at a job fair. They contacted me back in about 1 month for one of the security teams. I had to go through a lot of hoops in terms of contacting HR. They were not very responsive in terms of returning e-mails.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview they ask a lot of questions relating to hash maps, trees etc, some algorithms stuff and well experience you have.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symantec in January 2014.

On-campus interview. Questions on implementing fibonacci and palindrome. Then a couple of questions on recursion vs. iteration and memory allocation in C++.

Software Engineer Interview

I talked to one of their recruiting representatives at the univ career fair, and then after three weeks, I got a call from one of the hiring manager requesting for an on-site interview. On the interview day, I meet 6 persons including the hiring manger, half an hour for each interviewer. They mainly asked project experience from the resume and coding problems. Some of them also asked about some system design questions and brain teaser questions. I followed up after two weeks, no one replied my email.

Interview Questions
    • a system design question about client and server design and the speed limits. You need to consider both the hardware part and software part, also need to know some virtualization techs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec in May 2013.

It began with a phone interview with the hiring manager which lasted about 15 minutes and was mostly about my C++ experience. Afterward, I was invited for the in person interview a week later. I met with the hiring manager and a software engineer and discussed my project experience and was asked some basic questions about C++. I was scheduled to meet with two additional people but was told that they were in a meeting and the interview concluded. I received an e-mail that I didn't get the position 45 minutes later.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between heap and stack?   View Answer
    • Explain the difference between public, private, and protected in C++.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec in February 2013.

Contacted through Campus career fair. The process was straightforward, 1 screening, 2 technical interviews. The recruiter was nice and helpful and became a personal friend later. The first interviewer was a bit quiet, which was uncomfortable for me, so I don't think I did very well. The second one was nice and more talkative, which allowed me to discuss the problem more. Overall, the interview experience was average.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was about parsing in C (char array, etc.). The second interview question was simply to quickly write a program to return the angle between two hands of the clock. It was more about approaching the question and being thorough with inputs/outputs, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Symantec in October 2011.

Was referred to the hiring manager, contacted him, and set up an interview. Interview was 1 on 4, and consisted of mainly technical questions, also some code writing on a whiteboard, and a couple more standard questions as well. Interview went well, and they indicated they'd get an offer out to me within a couple days. One month later, an offer finally arrived, but by that time I had already accepted elsewhere. They have a nice building and nice staff, but I got the feeling that they are severely understaffed and highly stressed.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about finding the security vulnerabilities in our 2 million lines of code?   Answer Question

Took longer than promised to receive the official offer.