Symantec Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symantec (Eugene, OR) in August 2012.

Interview

Overall it was a very simple interview process. You will first receive a call asking for a phone interview. If this interview is successful you will be awarded a chance for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• For me the most difficult question was "Tell us a time when you contributed to a major project and how your impact affected the project?"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heathrow, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Heathrow, FL) in May 2010.

Interview

hiring process consisted of background check - takes 4 weeks
    1 interview
    then job offer

Interview Questions

• the manager interview was not really an interview it was just telling me the benefits of working for Symc
      the technical part of it was a guy from support asked me 3 questions (easy ones) and that was it ! - that process may have changed by now!

Answer Question

Negotiation

they gave me a figure- I countered-they accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Symantec (Lindon, UT) in August 2009.

Interview

I was called late in the evening for a requested review as soon as possible. It was about 8pm when I drove 20 miles to be interviewed. I was given a written test to show my technical knowledge and experience (particularly with SQL).

After that I was taken to a room for 1 on 1 interview. They started like most, by saying "So tell me about yourself." They mostly wanted to know my technical background. At one point they gave me 15 or 20 minutes to play a game on the computer. It was a game with a cube and you are supposed to click squares to change the color to make a path from point A to point B. I wanted to show how I work well independently so I did not ask for any help the entire time, even when it became challenging. That may have been a mistake. They did other "game tests" too, but that was the most time consuming. I've never had an interview like it before or since. My friend's brother was there at the same time. He was hired, I was not.

The office was a typical cubicle style setting in a large 2-story building. Since it was so late almost nobody else was there, except my friend, his brother, the interviewer, and maybe a couple others.

Interview Questions

• Playing that cube game was very unexpected. That is the only interview I've had where they wanted to watch me play a game. Other than that, most of the interview was fairly standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2009.

Interview

I was hired after submitting several resumes over several years. A referral was very important to getting my job. I had two interviews: one technical over the phone, one behavioral in person.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the OSI Model of networking?   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

waste of time.. no one knows anything .. no respect for internal employees...all gambling.. no one knows how to take interview based on profile.. look at profile u dumb fellows before interviewing ... if u dont know.. go n sit in mba classes to take interview

Interview Questions

• waste of time.. no one knows anything .. if u have influence.. u get it without any knowledge.. respect internal employees   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2013.

Interview

Hiring process is as follows

1. Telephonic interview
    2. Skype interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Telephonic interview (around 45 to 50 min) - asked you about your mentioned technical skills, you have to clear with your basics. This is the main interview.

2. Skype interview - they just check your communication skills, presence of mind. This is like HR round.

Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading (Jamaica)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Reading (Jamaica)) in December 2012.

Interview

Recruitment agency called to gauge interest, passed on CV.

A peer from the team called and did a telephone interview, technical questions mainly around Microsoft/AD and some basic logic questions.

Face to face with peer and similar types of MS questions and basic logic. Before leaving a brief discussion with the manager.

Offered role, no room to negotiate on salary in this instance.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room to negotiate on salary. Asked for x and got offered slightly below this, because of benefits and the company I decided to take the role.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in August 2012.

Interview

Hiring was done from campus placements through college. Symantec HR contacted Placement officer in College and scheduled the process.
    Round one consisted written test based on Networking, hardware, operating systems and Essay in English. Shortlisted candidates went to further rounds. Round 2 consisted of HR interview (non-technical). Later technical interview and managerial interview was taken. Technical interview was tough and thorough technical knowledge was expected.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, as I joined as a fresher, was more than happy to get through this opportunity

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Symantec (Reading, England (UK)) in September 2011.

Interview

Three interviews :
    - 10 technical questions of general unix/windows knowledge
    - technical questions about different scenarios where troubleshooting is required
    - social skills and motivational with two hiring team managers

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation because the salary is pretty much standard for the job role

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Symantec in July 2011.

Interview

Streamline process of interview. Thorough Technical interview panel.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation was done