Symantec

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Springfield, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was hired after submitting several resumes over several years. A referral was very important to getting my job. I had two interviews: one technical over the phone, one behavioral in person.

Interview Question – Can you explain the OSI Model of networking?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Heathrow, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in May 2010.

Interview Details – hiring process consisted of background check - takes 4 weeks
1 interview
then job offer

Interview Question – the manager interview was not really an interview it was just telling me the benefits of working for Symc
the technical part of it was a guy from support asked me 3 questions (easy ones) and that was it ! - that process may have changed by now!
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they gave me a figure- I countered-they accepted.

Eugene, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Symantec in August 2012.

Interview Details – Overall it was a very simple interview process. You will first receive a call asking for a phone interview. If this interview is successful you will be awarded a chance for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – For me the most difficult question was "Tell us a time when you contributed to a major project and how your impact affected the project?"   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lindon, UT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was called late in the evening for a requested review as soon as possible. It was about 8pm when I drove 20 miles to be interviewed. I was given a written test to show my technical knowledge and experience (particularly with SQL).

After that I was taken to a room for 1 on 1 interview. They started like most, by saying "So tell me about yourself." They mostly wanted to know my technical background. At one point they gave me 15 or 20 minutes to play a game on the computer. It was a game with a cube and you are supposed to click squares to change the color to make a path from point A to point B. I wanted to show how I work well independently so I did not ask for any help the entire time, even when it became challenging. That may have been a mistake. They did other "game tests" too, but that was the most time consuming. I've never had an interview like it before or since. My friend's brother was there at the same time. He was hired, I was not.

The office was a typical cubicle style setting in a large 2-story building. Since it was so late almost nobody else was there, except my friend, his brother, the interviewer, and maybe a couple others.

Interview Question – Playing that cube game was very unexpected. That is the only interview I've had where they wanted to watch me play a game. Other than that, most of the interview was fairly standard.   Answer Question

Reading, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Symantec in September 2011.

Interview Details – Three interviews :
- 10 technical questions of general unix/windows knowledge
- technical questions about different scenarios where troubleshooting is required
- social skills and motivational with two hiring team managers

Interview Question – Major and minor numbers for storage arrays   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because the salary is pretty much standard for the job role

Pune (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Symantec in August 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring was done from campus placements through college. Symantec HR contacted Placement officer in College and scheduled the process.
Round one consisted written test based on Networking, hardware, operating systems and Essay in English. Shortlisted candidates went to further rounds. Round 2 consisted of HR interview (non-technical). Later technical interview and managerial interview was taken. Technical interview was tough and thorough technical knowledge was expected.

Interview Question – Very deep technical questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as I joined as a fresher, was more than happy to get through this opportunity

Pune (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Symantec in March 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process is as follows

1. Telephonic interview
2. Skype interview

Interview Question – 1. Telephonic interview (around 45 to 50 min) - asked you about your mentioned technical skills, you have to clear with your basics. This is the main interview.

2. Skype interview - they just check your communication skills, presence of mind. This is like HR round.
  Answer Question

Pune (India)

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Symantec in June 2011.

Interview Details – i Had 4 rounds of interview.

Interview Question – They were more focused on Clustering and Volume manager   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I asked for a figure and they offered me the same.

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in July 2011.

Interview Details – Streamline process of interview. Thorough Technical interview panel.

Interview Question – What do you know about Enterprise Support?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was done

Technical Support Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Symantec in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview and skills test, followed by in person interview.

Interview Question – What port is SSL?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!